Boot loop after update this morning.

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
My wife's Epic got the GB update this morning. She is completely stock, and is on her second phone, (referbished). But now she's got a boot loop going and battery pulls aren't doing a thing. I know what to do with a rooted phone, but no idea how to fix something stock. Any ideas? Or are we just making a trip to the sprint store?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
My wife's Epic got the GB update this morning. She is completely stock, and is on her second phone, (referbished). But now she's got a boot loop going and battery pulls aren't doing a thing. I know what to do with a rooted phone, but no idea how to fix something stock. Any ideas? Or are we just making a trip to the sprint store?

Don't panic....

Unfortunately you will end up loosing your data because its a bug happening to some users regardless of OTA or manual update. She will still have her contacts/phone/calendar because that is all linked to the Gmail account on the device...

Power off/pull the battery on device.

Press and Hold Power Down+Camera+Power button for a few seconds to boot into stock recovery.

Navigate in stock recovery by using Volume Up/Down and make selections with the HOME (capacitive key).

Then select factory reset/wipe (I forget how its exactly worded)...

Then reboot when done....

That should resolve the problem...

Report back with results...

Edit: Thank gosh for wireless tethering! Lost internet connection at home as I was responding to this post and I was able to switch over to my phone providing a wireless tethering to get this post up!

I will NOT fail my fellow members ;)

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Ah, the camera button. Mine doesn't have one, so I wasn't using that one. So stock is crap. She uses her phone for so much, just going through and reinputting passwords and refinding her apps and whatever is going to take a couple days. We had her last phone rooted, but it got stolen and the insurance app, that finds her phone with GPS and all that, won't work on rooted devices. So she kept it stock this time, (with the terrible battery life and lack of customization and all) wish we wouldn't have. Not only would she have had to wait for a broken update, (would have already had NEWER builds than what they FINALLY push out to the masses) but we would have a back up for the data and all...

Samsung... You fail.

Thanks for your help BTW Paul! :D

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Fully understand your frustration.... I must say I don't really think this is something Sammy or Sprint for seen with the occasional boot loop on the update... It has happened at random for both OTA and manual update.zip users and there really isn't any tell tale sign as to what is causing it...

Dozens go by with no trouble then all the sudden a few come through that boot loop...

It stinks even when you try to "do it by the book" you still get the shaft...

mcourt88

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Yup, the solution is to wipe and reset to factory. Samething happend to my girlfriend and she took it to the Sprint store.

They re-set it to factory and installed the update.

Time to Root!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yup, the solution is to wipe and reset to factory. Samething happend to my girlfriend and she took it to the Sprint store.

They re-set it to factory and installed the update.

Time to Root!

Yikes going to Sprint, I could of saved you the hassle.... Oh well... At least its resolved.

playlikeachamp8

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I have an epic that will not allow me in to the bootloader after this update. Im very familiar with the recovery menus, bootloaders, etc... But this one will not allow me in. I have seen this from a co worker's device as well. Any ideas

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have an epic that will not allow me in to the bootloader after this update. Im very familiar with the recovery menus, bootloaders, etc... But this one will not allow me in. I have seen this from a co worker's device as well. Any ideas

This I have not heard of... If you were 100% stock/unrooted and did the update either OTA/manual you should still have stock recovery.

If you were rooted before and flashed a custom ROM based on official GB then you would have CWM recovery.

Booting into recovery either way consists of device shut off...

Press and hold Volume Down+Camera+Power.

There is no reason why your recovery should of been erased, actually I think if that was the case your device wouldn't even be booting up properly because of the recovery and boot all being gelled together sorta speak...

playlikeachamp8

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
The device will come on to the samsung epic load screen and stick. Not even a full bootloop. It is 100% stock. I tried to use odin to re install a stock rom through download mode but that didnt work. It is like the device is fried. To be honest a am a technician for a Sprint store so this is something I have seen on 4 devices total in 3 days.

smashclash

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
My phone just spontaneously restarted on it's own. It was just sitting on the counter doing nothing. Interestingly when it came back on it was no longer on vibrate but on sound. I noticed this happened one time yesterday evening but didn't think anything of it cause it was in my pocket and I thought perhaps the battery got loose for a second. This time though, it was on a counter, not moving, and hadn't been touched in over an hour.

JihadJoe

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Guys,
I just wanted to thank you for the help with this issue. My stock Epic received the OTA update this morning, and afterword it was stuck on a belt loop (something I've never seen or heard of until today) I reset the phone, and it's working great.

Re-installing the apps was only a minor pain - I just went to the android app store website, and clicked on "My Library" at the top. All of my downloaded apps were still there, so it did not take long at all. All of my photos/ringtones/videos stayed on my sd card.