black screen

Mitch Mays

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi i am new to android and have a galaxy s from sprint i cleared the memory from the hard reset menu and set everything back up however when setting up my gmail account i get an error that the application needs to force close so i let it. then it goes to the lock screen and everything looks normal. however, when i unlock it there is only a black screen and the notification bar at the top. please help

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi i am new to android and have a galaxy s from sprint i cleared the memory from the hard reset menu and set everything back up however when setting up my gmail account i get an error that the application needs to force close so i let it. then it goes to the lock screen and everything looks normal. however, when i unlock it there is only a black screen and the notification bar at the top. please help

Sounds like something got messed up for some reason... I think another factory reset is in order....

Follow these instructions...

Power off/pull the battery on device.

Press and Hold Power Down+Camera+Power button for a few seconds to boot into stock recovery.

Navigate in stock recovery by using Volume Up/Down and make selections with the HOME (capacitive key).

Then select factory reset/wipe (I forget how its exactly worded)...

Then reboot when done....

That should resolve the problem...

Report back with results...

w_brownson11

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I have sort of the same problem, except my phone is rooted and wont connect to my computer. i get an error message that says usb device not recodnised... so i cant odin reset. it charges through the port, just wont connect to the pc to flash stuff...:'(

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have sort of the same problem, except my phone is rooted and wont connect to my computer. i get an error message that says usb device not recodnised... so i cant odin reset. it charges through the port, just wont connect to the pc to flash stuff...:'(

Things to try:
Different cable, different computer. I've found for some reason that Windows XP plays best with it. Download the drivers directly from the Samsung site. We have MANY posts about this exact same issue you're mentioning. Please do a search, the step by step instructions are readily available.

Robbie Doo

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

Also check if your USB debugging is checkmarked