Problem with stock Gmail.apk and OS update

KetchupSpud

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
So, my OTA of Gingerbread failed this morning, so I attempted to do the manual update. Every time it fails at:

Verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/Gmail.apk", "274996b51496860e0c4ebf9a3627c5ff75ec8e13", "e6b762cc13624aa34172196175c4e5721b1d3b4b")

I've since been told that I can't run the manual update, or ota, with a rooted phone, but I don't think that'll fix the problem with the Gmail app. When I uninstall all the gmail updates (go back to the stock app), Gmail force closes every time it tries to open. I've delete the old Gmail.apk and GmailProvider.apk and replaced them with the stock files (found in another post on this site) and still have no luck.

I'm afraid that if I don't fix this problem, even unrooting and running the manual install will fail.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Problem with stock Gmail.apk

So, my OTA of Gingerbread failed this morning, so I attempted to do the manual update. Every time it fails at:

Verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/Gmail.apk", "274996b51496860e0c4ebf9a3627c5ff75ec8e13", "e6b762cc13624aa34172196175c4e5721b1d3b4b")

I've since been told that I can't run the manual update, or ota, with a rooted phone, but I don't think that'll fix the problem with the Gmail app. When I uninstall all the gmail updates (go back to the stock app), Gmail force closes every time it tries to open. I've delete the old Gmail.apk and GmailProvider.apk and replaced them with the stock files (found in another post on this site) and still have no luck.

I'm afraid that if I don't fix this problem, even unrooting and running the manual install will fail.

Thoughts? Thanks!

1. You have two options...

Procedure #1 from thread below

[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

Then do the manual update and it should be fine... You can always root again, we have instructions for that here...

Rooting EI22 Gingerbread Instructions

Option #2

Stay rooted and flash a stock build of Gingerbread with a custom kernel and couple extra goodies but still all your stock apps, bloat, etc.

[Pre-rooted][Deodexed]EI22 CWM Flashable

Choice is yours...

Problems still with GMail... Settings/Apps/Manage Apps/Gmail.apk (Clear Cache/Data)

KetchupSpud

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

Appreciate your help and quick response. I understand my options for getting to GB. I guess you're saying that I should abandon fixing the Gmail problem and just do a factory restore, which should fix my Gmail issue while wiping everything?

I was thinking that I'd just unroot my phone and be able to install - will that not work? I figured that fixing my Gmail problem then unrooting would be less time-consuming than doing a factory restore and having to set everything back up again... Obviously not the case if I can't get my Gmail problem fixed.

For your Gmail advice, when I go to Settings/Apps/Manage Apps/Gmail.apk, the Clear Cache is greyed out. I hit Manage space and I get a process com.google.android.gm force close. Uninstalling all updates still leads to force close, but if I download it from the Google Market, it works fine.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Ya sounds like something funky went down...

I would do the Odin procedure, this way your gonna have a clean phone with Froyo EC05 when done. Then you can update to GB and everything should be good.

If your still rooted, make your backups with Titanium/MyBackUp Root if you want to restore stuff down the road if you root again...

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance