1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default internet (stock browser) 0.00B data & cache

My internet stock browser used to be my big troublemaker when it came to clearing data and cache to make space on the internal storage space. Since Gingerbread I checked by manage applications and it shows by internet 0.00B by data, cache. How is that possible? Does everyone have that or is there something wrong with my epic?

Default Re: internet (stock browser) 0.00B data & cache

adlebo, how did you update?

OTA, manual? Did you do a factory reset?

Are you rooted?

Seems like this cache/data issue on apps is becoming a problem...
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I odined to stock froyo. Updated manually by flashing the update.zip. Then I rooted (via odin cmw, and flashing the su) no roms.

Try booting into clock work mod and going to advanced/fix permissions. Do that and reboot. See if anything changes
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Global Posts
    326 Global Posts

I did a manual update to Gingerbread, but am still stock, and I see the same thing. Looking at all apps in manage applications sorted by size, there are actually a lot showing up as 0.00B in the main list. It looks like only pre-installed apps have this issue, but there could be pre-installed apps that do show a size -- I'm not quite familiar enough with everything to know for sure on just skimming the list. Is it possible that this was done on purpose? If not, they should fix it, because I totally agree -- the Internet browser often accumulated a good bit of data in its cache on my phone, too, and I'd semi-regularly clear it to regain space.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I did the "fix permission" thing, but it didn't help. Just like Dronak mentioned, it seems that all the pre installed apps have this issue.

ROM
    EI22, Nubernel+ 2.6.35.7

I tried to clear my stock browser's cache myself yesterday and had the same problem. It states 0.00 and the clear button was greyed out. I've considered switching to another browser (something I should have probably done anyway for performance), but really do not know which one to go with. I've tried a couple before and didn't like them, but not being able to clear the cache is a big deal.
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by garapueto View Post
    I tried to clear my stock browser's cache myself yesterday and had the same problem. It states 0.00 and the clear button was greyed out. I've considered switching to another browser (something I should have probably done anyway for performance), but really do not know which one to go with. I've tried a couple before and didn't like them, but not being able to clear the cache is a big deal.
    It's in the browser settings not the program settings. You can clear the cache by opening the browser. setting button/settings/clear cache.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by:

ROM
    EI22, Nubernel+ 2.6.35.7

Quote Originally Posted by keithvetter View Post
    It's in the browser settings not the program settings. You can clear the cache by opening the browser. setting button/settings/clear cache.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    Damn, you're right...
    Now back to being lazy and using the stock browser, lol.

Global Posts
    326 Global Posts

Yes, it does look like that will work (using Settings in the Internet app). The only thing is you can't see how big the cache is, and that's something I'd usually use to decide whether to clear it. Plus other cache-clearing apps probably can't access it like they did before, which is a bit annoying. I typically use Android Assistant for help clearing caches, and the stock browser doesn't seem to be listed there anymore, probably because it's reporting a cache of zero as noted previously. Oh well. Another minor annoyance to work around. Thanks for the reminder about the settings within the app; I never really used that before for cache clearing, but will have to regularly now.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I wonder if this issue is exclusive with phones that were manually updated. Can anyone who updated OTA chime in and report if it shows 0.00B by them as well, Thanks.

ROM
    Stock/Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by adlebo View Post
    I wonder if this issue is exclusive with phones that were manually updated. Can anyone who updated OTA chime in and report if it shows 0.00B by them as well, Thanks.
    no, my wife's phone got the OTA last night and it appears it is the same. We both use Dolphin Mini browser instead though.
    Thanked by:
    adlebo