"Damaged SD Card"....(this is how I recoverd my data)

sonarchist

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
.......right in the middle of a super demanding day, the message "damaged SD Card / Reformat" appeared on my Epic, when I least expected it (inopportune is the word)............ changing firmware is never without its more interesting moments, + this may or may not be a symptom (went froyo to gingerbread), however,........... am sharing this post to the androidcentral community, as i sense this to be an important enough issue...........no one really knows the specific cause of sd card corruption + failure: it's variable + always somewhat circumstantial (ie, saw it mentioned elsewhere that overheating from an overclocked cpu could cause damage as well)...................so, moving forward I simply want to contribute as a brief description, here, how i was able to recover (most) of the files from my 'damaged micro sd card:'

First, when i saw 'damaged sd card / format card' on the phone, when it became possible 4 me to do so many hours later, instead of 'formatting' I replaced the damaged card for a new one (pny 16gb sdhc class 10)...booted the phone everything was fine (15.91gb space available)........as expected, no files in the SD Card......................next:

(1) placed 'damaged' sd card into the reader that came w/ the device, and mounted to pc, selected the drive (followed by confirmation beep 'device detected' sound, then the language: 'd:\ not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable' came on the screen..........went to RUN and typed CMD........from new window, I typed Chkdsk d: /r and the PC began reading the contents of the damaged SD card (most of the android zip files etcetera were there, as were a number of files w/ no content) + next i typed 'exit' (no quotations, just the letters) to return to the windows desktop.......OK, so now the only files missing are the pix + video mov's (far as I can remember).

..........(2) next, to recover pix + video, from the pc desktop i opened ZARecovery (if you do not already have it go to Data Recovery Software, Solutions, Tutorials, Forum - ZAR Data Recovery and download the free recovery program from that site).

.............(3) from the ZARrecovery main page, selected sd card as device, selected 'next', selected 'root' folder for all files that ZAR was able to detect as recoverable, entered destination folder name (for transfer of recovered pix + video to PC....note: NEVER to sd card itself!), + lastly, selected 'start copying selected files'.........and that was it, closed ZAR + began viewing the content of the recovery folder to get an assessment of what had actually been recovered, and what had been lost.................fortunately 4 me, the loss was minimal, as I tend to create backups (Nandroids, every half year; pic, videos, email attachments = pretty regularly!)

Hope this helps those of you that have been experiencing microSD Card damage (from whatever source).

Remember, not to overstate this: BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP (I know, am speaking to the choir)......also, thnx to Paul627g, for bringing this subject to my attention.

Last edited:

sonarchist

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Am reserving for future epic thought-patterns related to 'backup evangelists + their time-worn tecniques'!

Last edited:

Jalafian

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Forgot the dos command for recovery of my files. That recovered everything for me. THANKS!! Was so worried I'd lose all my music and apps stored on my sd card.

sonarchist

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Forgot the dos command for recovery of my files. That recovered everything for me. THANKS!! Was so worried I'd lose all my music and apps stored on my sd card.

Excellent! Glad to have been able to help :)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums

tosu2000

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Omg Thank you for this post I was able to recover most of my pics some where corrupted but all in all. Im glad I got most of them.:) once again thanks for this post and step by step instructions

Kelly Burchell

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
thank you so much for posting this... we just recovered all the videos of my little girl that we thought we'd lost for good. Yours was one of those 'Priceless' Posts... thanks a million x:)

okizen

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanx very much sonarchist. Using your chkdsk method, I managed to recover my files from my 'damaged' 64GB exfat sd card. This page should be stickied. Once again a big thank you.

marniven gochioco

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Glad I found this site. Was pretty close to asking my mother to record all of her language lessons all over again.

I ran the CHKDSK just as you suggested and I found all the missing files from her damaged FAT32 SD card. Thank you for sharing on how to retrieve what we believed was seemingly lost.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc