Siri for android one day?

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I had read somewhere that Google was busy on a project that would give it's voice search siri-like capabilities. There was no date of release, or what devices it would work on. I for the life of me, cannot find the name of it, or the article I read, but pretty sure I saw it over on theverge.com or right here on AC. :-/ I'll edit when/if I am able to find it tomorrow.

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I had read somewhere that Google was busy on a project that would give it's voice search siri-like capabilities. There was no date of release, or what devices it would work on. I for the life of me, cannot find the name of it, or the article I read, but pretty sure I saw it over on theverge.com or right here on AC. :-/ I'll edit when/if I am able to find it tomorrow.

I think you're referring to Majel How Google’s Majel Will Be Better Than Siri | Signal News. Sounds pretty cool. For now, though, I LOVE Speaktoit Assistant. Requires a little setting up, but works great.

Last edited:

cerobles1

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Anything banana or orange on our Android phones would be an abomination. Plus, we already have Google Voice that works amazing. Why would u want stupid strawberry crap?

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I haven't tried them but there is some apps in the market aimed to be siri like.

Iris
Skyvi

These are two I've seen and I'm sure there are more. Vlingo perhaps.

Sent from my Epic Android using Tapatalk

boocephus

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded vlingo because I saw a news story about it. It's kind of entertaining. I do like the car mode capabilities for sending texts and reading them when received.

I would love it if there was one of these android apps that can create calendar entries from a voice command. I know google can set an alarm, but I can't say "calendar entry, january 31, 4:00, pick up dry cleaning at moe's". that is the main thing I'd like that seems to be out of reach of google voice command and vlingo.

Does speaktoit do that?

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, Speak-to-it can edit your calendar or memos or evernote if you use that.

I haven't tried them but there is some apps in the market aimed to be siri like.

Iris
Skyvi

These are two I've seen and I'm sure there are more. Vlingo perhaps.

Sent from my Epic Android using Tapatalk

I've used all of them. Iris is witty and has attitude and is great for entertainment, but didn't have as much functionality as Speak-to-it or Vlingo. Skyvi wasn't as good as Vlingo or Speak-to-it either in my opinion, but I haven't checked it out in a couple weeks, which is an eternity in development time, so who knows how good it is now.

boocephus

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I found a way to use vlingo to create calendar entries for now.

I set up event bot EventBot: The email to Google Calendar gateway

Now I can just have vlingo email my eventbot address with the event details in the subject. they are automatically parsed and used to create a gmail calendar event. i haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it should work.

I guess I am just not into the virtual phone buddy thing. I don't really want to exchange pleasantries with my phone. I want to bark orders when i am drving and have them carried out. "hey vlingo. email calendar subject pick up dry cleaning january 31 4pm moes cleaners"

cyberprashant

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
vlingo is the closest, esp in car mode. Try asking it anything including

1. who is kobe bryant
2. why is the grass green

If they polish this app up, they will have a serious siri contender.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, Speak-to-it can edit your calendar or memos or evernote if you use that.

I've used all of them. Iris is witty and has attitude and is great for entertainment, but didn't have as much functionality as Speak-to-it or Vlingo. Skyvi wasn't as good as Vlingo or Speak-to-it either in my opinion, but I haven't checked it out in a couple weeks, which is an eternity in development time, so who knows how good it is now.

I have used most of them and vlingo is good, but I severely disagree with you on a fundamental level. Siri is boss. Its integration to native apps smokes anything android has. I suspect Google is trying to play catch up ball somewhere as I type this from my gnex.

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm definitely not arguing with you about that. Siri is way better than any of these apps at certain things. Especially location-based reminders. I'm just not overly-concerned about it, cause it's all a gimmick at the end of the day. Given the current choice, I'd much rather have 4G than Siri.

boocephus

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
. i haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it should work.

Just to update, when I tried it, it wasn't easy peasy.

First off, the eventbot states that you put all the information in the subject. I was unable to get vlingo to create an email with a subject. I sat in the library parking lot for 45 minutes talking to my stupid phone like a 4 year old. "Email calendar subject library books due january 28 2012"

It left the contact blank and put the whole sentence in the msg body. Or it would email to calendar and put the rest in the message. Or it would open the calendar. Frustrating.

When I got home, I figured out that the phone isn't stupid, but I was. You have to put something in the message body so it will put everything else in the subject.

So, I could create the email I wanted by saying "email calendar subject library books due january 28, 2012 message eat my shorts".

So, yes. I can get vlingo to create a calendar message. The drawback is that you have to be able to get all that out in essentially one breath. If you pause, then it parses what you said and will give the half-baked results above. If you can get it all out at once, it works great. I guess it kind of gives me stage fright or performance anxiety, because it generally takes me a few tries to get it to work.

Reactions: jmuru

boocephus

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
BTW, I tried out Jeannie this weekend with mixed results. So far it is a pretty amusing "game". It is more conversational and can play 20 questions. My 7 year old freaking loved it "Show me a picture of a real life great white shark attack". It could read gmails to me and would read text messages if I asked. Vlingo car mode still has its place though. i guess that siri capability is there, it just has yet to be developed. Spread out between vlingo, Jeannie and speaktoit are all the capabilities that I see with siri. Someone just has yet to get them all in one place.

howiesf

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
Isn't the biggest and most important difference between Siri and Vingo is the fact that Vingo does not read back to you. Or do I not have something setup correctly on my stupi Epic 4G?

boocephus

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Isn't the biggest and most important difference between Siri and Vingo is the fact that Vingo does not read back to you. Or do I not have something setup correctly on my stupi Epic 4G?

Read what back to you?

Vlingo car mode/safe reader will read all texts.

Jeannie can kind of read emails but it is just part of the message and I haven't found it all that useful.

They are all good at sending messages.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC