Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ratsttam
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock TW FH13 ICS 4.0.4

Default We could be getting ICS!

Default Re: We could be getting ICS!

That would be good, giving the fact that a lot of people bought into Samsung devices. This would only consolidate that fan club. Hopefully we can get the update, but like I said before, I would totally settle for a dayly driver working leak. An official update might be too much to ask, though it would be extremelly appreciated.

The Samsung Intercept 2.2 update was a Vanilla Froyo. So Samsung has a history of getting updates out, by removing their Touchwiz Interface. I remember getting the update, liking how fast it was, but HATING losing the TW features (shortcuts across top, t9 contact lookup in dialer, to name just a couple). I had to download a new dialer (no easy task to get the physical button to open the new one consistently) and shortcut widgets. They got major flack for removing the TW features since they did add a lot to the phone.
    Not saying that will be the case with the Galaxy series, since a lot of the TW features that people like, are now part of ICS. Average Joe and Jane consumer won't understand all the changes from the TW interface they learned on. And those same consumers don't know or even care about Froyo, Gingerbread, or Ice Cream Sandwich.

With the Epic 4g being accepted as an Official CyanogenMod phone this week, There is a great chance we'll see some sort of ICS from that, but I still won't hold my breath of getting yet another full OS upgrade out of Samsung/Sprint for it. They shipped it with 2.1, were kind enough to get 2.2, graciously gave us 2.3, 4.0 may be too much to ask since Samsung is not required by anything (aside from loyalty ratings) to give us updates at all.
    Sprint Galaxy Nexus [stock for now]
    BB 8130, iPhone 4 8g, iPhone 3g 16gb, Toshiba e800, Palm Tungsten T
    [retired]Epic 4g, BB8330, BB 9670, Samsung Intercept, Katana DLX, Sanyo 8400, HTC Wizard, MPX220, and many others...
    kitchin likes this.

ROM
    EI22 Stock

don't count on it. i wouldn't hope for it either, that way if it doesnt happen, like it most likely wont, no harm no foul. if it does happen, then Sammy just gave you the gift of the year and deserves your continued patronage for a long time. As much as i love this phone, they've already convinced me to stay with them until they burn me, but i dont see that happening with the quality of products they put out.

that's just me though

I would hope so!! Just got my galaxy 2 s 4 days ago love it and cant wait to try a nice tasty ICS

I will keep my fingers crossed for you guys... I would of never thought GB would of hit the Epic 4g and it did, maybe not in as perfect of form as we would like but it did.

ICS... Even a stripped down version or reduce TW, something to make it happen.... That would be a nice treat for you all....
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

If we dont get an ICS update for the Epic 4G the only way I'd stay with Samsung is if I got something like the Epic 4G Touch or Galaxy S3 for free. I will not pay $250 for another phone. Back in May 11 I bought my wife an Samsung Infuse 4G for $200, now u can get it for free. I could.ve waited and save $200

Quote Originally Posted by cerobles1 View Post
    If we dont get an ICS update for the Epic 4G the only way I'd stay with Samsung is if I got something like the Epic 4G Touch or Galaxy S3 for free. I will not pay $250 for another phone. Back in May 11 I bought my wife an Samsung Infuse 4G for $200, now u can get it for free. I could.ve waited and save $200
    Its like that for every make and model eventually on every carrier... Not just Sammy and Sprint that does these offers...

I know its hard.. Look at the people that ran out and bought the SGSII at full price now what a month or two later and already some places you can get them on different carriers for $100 or less... Some even offering almost free with a 2 or 3 year renewal on contract...

Stinks but what we gonna do ?
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by:
    jmuru 

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Its like that for every make and model eventually on every carrier... Not just Sammy and Sprint that does these offers...

I know its hard.. Look at the people that ran out and bought the SGSII at full price now what a month or two later and already some places you can get them on different carriers for $100 or less... Some even offering almost free with a 2 or 3 year renewal on contract...

Stinks but what we gonna do ?
    So true. I don't feel like any one company is better than any other when it comes to this stuff. Sad, but true :-(

Quote Originally Posted by ratsttam View Post
    They shipped it with 2.1, were kind enough to get 2.2, graciously gave us 2.3, 4.0 may be too much to ask since Samsung is not required by anything (aside from loyalty ratings) to give us updates at all.
    It is more than just out of the goodness of their hearts that they make these upgrades. The hardware is still viable and to keep it relevant Samsung has to keep, at least nearly, up to date with the latest android capabilities if it wants customers to buy the phone.

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

It's all about the money. As long as a device will continue to sell at a reasonable profit, they will continue to support it. When it is no longer profitable, they dump it. Manufacturers would love to create a device that continues to sell year after year so that all they needed to worry about is the software and firmware updates. However, that is not possible when other manufacturers are up to the same thing. Blah, blah, blah... even the iphone has to be renovated regularly to keep the interest of the masses of cult like followers. A big part of the problem is that the majority of consumers will continue to oblige manufacturers every time they create a new device, thus producing a perpetual machine. Just my view on the matter. You are more than welcome to rebut.

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanGB 1.1.2-MTD

i completely agree. this phone is fantastic and i loved it since it came out i think i may even complete my 2nd year with it. theres nothing thats out 'right now' that makes me feel big enough difference to make me use my (last) yearly upgrade esp. with only 8 months left on contract.

I also agree that manufacturers need to slow down a bit rather then releasing same "new" phone every few weeks. I'm soo glad I picked the Epic

I only put up with this phone because it's the best option with a physical keyboard. But other than that I could live without it. What sucks is that the selling feature for me -- the keyboard -- doesn't even work right. Wish they could get the laggy keyboard right.

And since the Gingerbread upgrade the GPS has been pretty much useless.

So Samsung has pretty much lost me as a future customer unless ICS comes out, or a GB update comes out, that fixes these basic functions. Plus updates have been so slow to come to us, unlike HTC phones that get updates way before Samsung pushes them.

Root it and you'll not have the keyboard problem. Rooting GB on the Epic 4G involves replacing the kernel, there's one that's all stock except for including a keyboard fix.

The next thing to do after rooting and installing a custom recovery (I like the ACS Recovery made special for the Epic) is the hack to remove CIQ. Getting rid of CIQ makes a noticeable improvement in overall speed.

Most Epic owners no longer have the GPS issues after updating to GB but there is a GPS fix that can be installed after rooting.

Even if you do nothing else, you should like your Epic much more after rooting it and removing CIQ.

One undocumented fix in GB to an undocumented bug in FroYo is the horizontal calibration. Someone had a brain fart at Samsung and reversed the setting on one accelerometer axis in the calibration in FroYo. To correctly calibrate the thing you had to do it with the phone face down. It works correctly doing it face up with GB. If you're still having laggy screen rotation or having to shake the phone to get it to rotate after updating to GB, try the calibration face down, then do it again face up.

I dunno why they never admitted the bug's existence or put notes about the fix in the list of changes in GB.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Galane View Post

Most Epic owners no longer have the GPS issues after updating to GB but there is a GPS fix that can be installed after rooting.
    Some of us still have different "GPS " issues even after applying the GPS_fix.zip; satellite acquisition is fixed (dynamite!) but we're having lockups (battery pull req'd) during Nav use. Difficult to test methodically & seems to vary by phone & user. Mine crashes every morning on commute (as a test: I actually do know how to get to work!).