Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

ROM
    CM9

Default Re: What's next for Epic users, and when?

Quote Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post
    I sure have.

I'm actually starting to thing that the problem is Google Nav and not my phone. I got a new phone from Sprint, applied the fix, changed the ROM and left it relatively clean. Google Nav still locks my phone up. So at this point it seems like this is a software issue that Google needs to address. Hopefully they will...
    I use Google Nav a lot and almost never have lockups (I'm talking maybe 1 lockup a month at most), so I don't think Google Nav is the problem. Try TeleNav and see if that fixes it for you, though.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

Quote Originally Posted by jmuru View Post
    I use Google Nav a lot and almost never have lockups (I'm talking maybe 1 lockup a month at most), so I don't think Google Nav is the problem. Try TeleNav and see if that fixes it for you, though.
    It's happened to me on two different Epics so I don't know what the deal is. I used Telenav a good amount today and didn't have any lockups. I hate it, but at least it works...

Maybe I should uninstall then reinstall Google Maps/Nav. Anyone think that would be helpful? I've tried wiping data but that didn't do the trick.

ROM
    CM9

Quote Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post
    It's happened to me on two different Epics so I don't know what the deal is. I used Telenav a good amount today and didn't have any lockups. I hate it, but at least it works...

Maybe I should uninstall then reinstall Google Maps/Nav. Anyone think that would be helpful? I've tried wiping data but that didn't do the trick.
    Won't hurt to try it. What ROM you running? Sometimes a fresh install can fix a lot of things.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Stock/Rooted

Won't hurt to try it. What ROM you running? Sometimes a fresh install can fix a lot of things.

uscpsycho, I agree, I've never had lockups with Google nav. Maybe a complete, clean reinstall will work. It is also possible you don't have enough memory free to keep it moving. If you have a lot of apps installed and are not rooted, some of these autostart and maybe using your memory in the background. Also make sure you have as many of your apps that can be moved to SD card are.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

I'm running CleanGB. I thought a fresh install would help but I still experienced lock ups with Google Nav on a brand new Epic (refurb) and a fairly virgin install. I restored minimal app data but no system data.

I think I've just got rotten luck :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by rando991 View Post
    uscpsycho, I agree, I've never had lockups with Google nav. Maybe a complete, clean reinstall will work. It is also possible you don't have enough memory free to keep it moving. If you have a lot of apps installed and are not rooted, some of these autostart and maybe using your memory in the background. Also make sure you have as many of your apps that can be moved to SD card are.
    Like I said, I'm working with a pretty clean install right now. I am rooted and have over 360MB free and don't have many apps installed.

I'm trying to use Telenav to see if that solves the problem but I hate it so much. I'm so used to all the UI and all the features of Google Nav.

Went to the AT&T store over the weekend and checked out the Samsung Captivate Glide and the Galaxy Note. My thoughts:
    1) Captivate Glide keyboard is TERRIBLE. No tactile click feedback. Almost like a touchscreen keyboard with flat keys with absolutely no feel. No dedicated number key row of course. Skinnier than the Epic 4G though.
    2) Galaxy Note is BIG but very skinny. All the new Galaxy SII products are really skinny as well. They could probably attach a slider keyboard and still keep the phones reasonably skinny. The only disappointment was that the S-Pen had a slight lag when writing.
    3) I would never (famous last words...) sign up to an AT&T plan. Sprint's unlimited plan is still the best in the market. I just hope they don't go Chapter 11 before they get their LTE network up... My contract is up in May so I am going to sit tight and see how their June LTE activation goes.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

The first time I actually saw someone use a Note as a phone I decided I would never have a phone like that. I wanted to literally laugh out loud. You might as well hold a laptop to your face and use that for a phone. I'm exaggerating but the note is so big it looks ridiculous to use it as a phone. And I'm the kind of person who generally doesn't care what people think about me or what I do.

The size of the Galaxy Nexus is about as big as I'm willing to go for an Android phone.

And that's only because they went longer, less width, so it's still thin enough with your hand wrapped around it. Media feels nice that way too cause it looks like widescreen.

I am sticking to my Epic until I can't get replacements for it anymore. I have the epic and a galaxy 8.9. I do all of my document work on the epic. My Dell 11z hasn't left the car in many months. It's simply too damn quick to slide out the keyboard and navigate through text and docs, edit and create, write long work emails and such. I've owned a Hero, Evo 4g, Epic Touch and Photon. I'm keeping the Photon for overseas travel, but otherwise, typing on screen just simply isn't nearly as productive if you really want to do that kind of work from the phone.

And people wondering about a replacement. Fat chance according to the reply I got from ask Dan@sprint. If you truly want an Epic replacement, don't ask here, complain, bug, bother, email, and call sprint. The more people that contact them and say they want a replacement slider, the better the odds one could possibly come. Heck, I'd take the Droid 4 if someone would make a belt clip holster that would charge it, and if it came with the Maxx battery.
    Known by old Palm folks as Crogs571. S4 user on Sprint with way too many backup phones (Spare S4, Epic, Evo Shift).
    Also resell for ProClip and can save you at least 10% on their mounts and cradles. Feel free to PM.
    Thanked by:
    rando991 likes this.

Slight necro here.....

This is my first smart phone. Previous experience with touch screen keyboards, and skepticism about the efficacy of swype leaned me in this direction of having a physical keyboard as a back-up. I haven't used it, though. I'm always swyping.
    Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

For those still interested LG is coming out with a qwerty phone on Sprint but the specs are less than great -

Better news is that Motorola has something in the works for us which will probably have better specs than the LG -

I keep looking at the Droid 4, and I keep silently cursing Sprint for not having that phone.

That phone that looks like a slightly softened Droid 4? I bet it's got less RAM, slower/fewer cores CPU and who knows what all else the Droid 4 has that it won't have as a Sprint phone.

From what I've read on the Galaxy III lineup, the North America models are going to be horribly crippled compared to what Europe will get.

Samsung needs to stop allowing the American cell companies doing that garbage. It drives up the cost for all. Much cheaper to make ONE design with all the goodies. "This is our new phone design. It comes with this list of features. No, we will NOT remove or disable any of them just for you."

Car manufacturers realized that 40 some years ago. Make things like power brakes, power steering and air conditioning standard features and they saved a ton of money NOT having to design and manufacture manual brakes, manual steering and ventilation systems without AC.

Meanwhile I'll keep my Epic 4G with its 5 row keyboard. Might put the cyanogen ICS on it when/if they get it more polished.

I've pretty much given up on the idea of another slider. I'm trying to force myself to use the touch keyboards for everything on my Epic, but it's not easy. It's way too simple to forget and just slide it open to reply to a quick text or email.

Why would you give up on a slider when there were leaks of the LG and Motorola? If it's intuitive to use the keyboard, why stray away? Go over to xda and download The People's ROM, breathe new life into your Epic and bide your time till fall.

Well I really don't put too much faith in leaks, there's no telling when or if they will actually arrive. I've toyed with the idea of putting a ROM onto it, I might have to look in to that more deeply.

Quote Originally Posted by taborcarn View Post
    Well I really don't put too much faith in leaks, there's no telling when or if they will actually arrive. I've toyed with the idea of putting a ROM onto it, I might have to look in to that more deeply.
    The Moto leak was actually a guy posting about his buddy testing the phone for Sprint, so if that's the case, I'm sure fall would be a likely possibility. I still need to call back Sprint. I've bugged my support people and ask dan (I have a $30k account with Sprint, not huge but enough to get some decent support), and have had about 4 calls from them I need to follow up on. I already told them I closed to lines because they switched to Verizon after they told me there were no new sliders on the horizon, and the reps went to the Droid4. So maybe they'll give me some actual info instead of saying nothing is on the horizon like they did back in early May.

All the people that are jumping ship to the gs3 probably didn't have a "need" for the keyboard. I know for me it is a need. I can't do extensive doc work and big work emails on the phone without a keyboard. The only thing holding it back is the office apps. I still can't select multiple cells in a table in a word document. Annoying.
    Known by old Palm folks as Crogs571. S4 user on Sprint with way too many backup phones (Spare S4, Epic, Evo Shift).
    Also resell for ProClip and can save you at least 10% on their mounts and cradles. Feel free to PM.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #42  

Good news for those of you who "gave up" on the idea of a new slider. Have some faith!

Sprint has finally made the Photon Q official! Read it and weep!

Yep. With a whopping 1750mah non removable battery. Better carry a charger with you. After the RAZR and RAZR Maxx, don't you think they'd learn something? How a phone of this size only fits a 1750 makes no sense when this is supposed to be a business class device.

In my signal challenged work environment, I go through 1800mah batteries in 3-4hrs. Was psyched when I saw the original post on engadget, but that quickly died when I saw the battery situation.

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  

I had the same problem before upgrading to this extended battery. Yes, it makes the phone fatter but I swear I can go all day with very heavy use and rarely run out of juice. I liked the first one so much I bought the second one for those rare days when I do need a fresh battery. There are several sellers, make sure you buy from Cellular Factory (link should land on them). For less than $7 shipped they're a great investment. Saves my sanity every day.

Here's the link -

Yeah, I don't do extended batteries. I have four 1800 ones that I rotate through. It's just easy to pop a fresh one in. One extra battery and the phone is less bulky than just the phone with the extended battery. If the wifi network I have access too would allow me to check email, I wouldn't be in that predicament. But for some reason phones can't access email on that hospital's public wifi. It's really odd. Keep forgetting to call the help desk. An employee called and asked, and their answer was why are you checking your personal mail during the work day? I would've gone off if that was me.

I'm telling my rep that they'll give me at least 30 days to test it out because I can't judge in two weeks if the battery will be acceptable. I'm also going to follow up with the ask dan people that kept bugging me after my multiple complaints and cancelling of some of our lines (completely coincidental, but they don't know that). A fixed1750mAh battery is just not acceptable for a serious business class smartphone in this day and age, especially the road warrior types.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #46  

I don't know, but for me having a slightly thicker battery that can get me through most days beats having to carry around several batteries and the hassles of keeping all of them charged up. PITA to come home with five dead batteries and needing them charged by the next day.

I didn't want to make my phone thicker either but it doesn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it would. And I honestly love the convenience and peace of mind it gives me. But to each his own... I say for $7 give it a shot and see how much you might love it. If not I'll trade you the extended battery for an OEM slim battery. Not that I need another extended but I don't use my slims anymore and I'm that confident you'll like it.

For $7 I'll bite. picked a seller from NY since I'm in PA. I've had good luck with Hyperion batteries, but theirs is double the price. It's gonna sit heavy in the scrub pocket, and my nightstand cradle will be useless. Slim OEM's are a waste. Mine two hardly get me 3-4 hours in a normal signal area. They're just shot. The OEM Epic Touch ones are nice though.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #48  

I hope you get one as good as mine. These generic accessories in the Amazon Marketplace can have a lot of variance from one seller to another. Just as with different sellers on eBay. You might get a "3500 mAh Extended Battery" that's from a completely different supplier/factory than the one from the seller I purchased from.

Ironically, I picked my seller because they were in CA so I understand your thought process. If the one you get doesn't perform as expected I'll post up a picture of mine so you can see if you got the same one.

In an effort to stave off another sprint contract extension, I bought my son an Epic on ebay. It came with the $70 Seidio fat battery. I have been using it all week, but today, I just put the regular one back in. I think my battery problems are because of the construction of this building. My phone is always struggling to get a couple bars. Pivoting in my chair can make the signal drop off to nothing.

When I had the small battery in, I kept it plugged in all the time at my desk. I didn't plug it in at all with the fat bat. I updated my resume online and have been getting a bunch of recruiters calling and emailing, so I have been using my phone a good bit - voice and data. With the seidio, I would be around 50% at the end of the day.

It does tend to pull down one's pants.

But when I travel for work and don't have the luxury of plugging in, it will be nice to have a few extra hours with the pregnant version of the epic.

I work in hospitals that are just notorious for bad signals. One rebuilt a whole new wing with an OR and had the option to prewire antennas throughout to improve cell reception (especially since pagers have gone by the wayside). It was a few thousand dollar option, and they said no. Now to retrofit, it cost them about $20k, and it's still far from perfect. So much time roaming on 1x.

But the blessing of having a 2yr old phone is accessories are cheap, so for $7, I'll give it a shot when I know I'm in a signal challenged area.

How does moto fit a 3300mAh battery in the skinny little Maxx, yet throws a 1750mAh one in the Q that has a bit of carryover in its target audience, but relies on the keyboard for solid work use? I just don't get the design rationale these people have. To be a fly on the wall when they discuss product design. What's worse is when products don't sell well. They say sliders are a dying breed when their wrong. Poorly designed and spec'd sliders are a dying breed.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast