Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #51  

Default Re: What's next for Epic users, and when?

I've been waiting and waiting and waiting (as we all have) for a new slider phone. It's finally here and it has a fatal flaw. Under no circumstances am I willing to use a phone that can leave me with a dead battery with no way to change it. I'm wiling to carry a spare battery or two around but I'm not willing to stuff my pocket with an external battery backup that I have to tether to my phone.

The only way I could live with the Q is if someone makes a clip-on extended battery. If that doesn't happen my only option will be a non-slider phone and at that point I think I'll turn in my Android card for the iPhone 5. After all the frustration with my Epic, if the Q doesn't suit me I just might sacrifice the flexibility of Android for the unflappable stability of iOS.

Now I would throw a slice type external battery in my bag. form fitting to the back of the phone.

I really don't understand the allure of embedded batteries. These devices are mini computers. We work, we play, we stream content, video, audio, surfing and so on. The whole industry wants us to do more on these devices. All of which sucks up juice. When embedded batteries are dead, the phone is dead unless it's charged. Then you're tethered to something and god forbid it's an ac outlet when you need to be on the go. I really don't see the tradeoff being worth it. I used to buy in to the iphone because they always touted the battery life, but even now all I see are dock cables everywhere, people plugging in to the speaker docks in OR rooms. They seem to be charging just as much as we are, more so because they can't swap batteries.
    Known by old Palm folks as Crogs571. S4 user on Sprint with way too many backup phones (Spare S4, Epic, Evo Shift).
    Also resell for ProClip and can save you at least 10% on their mounts and cradles. Feel free to PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post
    I've been waiting and waiting and waiting (as we all have) for a new slider phone. It's finally here and it has a fatal flaw. Under no circumstances am I willing to use a phone that can leave me with a dead battery with no way to change it. I'm wiling to carry a spare battery or two around but I'm not willing to stuff my pocket with an external battery backup that I have to tether to my phone.

The only way I could live with the Q is if someone makes a clip-on extended battery. If that doesn't happen my only option will be a non-slider phone and at that point I think I'll turn in my Android card for the iPhone 5. After all the frustration with my Epic, if the Q doesn't suit me I just might sacrifice the flexibility of Android for the unflappable stability of iOS.
    So, to paraphrase:
    You want a slider
    You want a replaceable battery
    You may buy an Iphone

I am in the same boat, right up until your conclusion.
    You do realize that the Iphone...

I was so excited about the Q, but without a replaceable battery, I either hang on to the Epic (on CM9) or get used to typing without a keyboard

I actually just emailed Mophie to see if they had plans to make cases for the new Moto and HTC phones. Would be a ground floor opportunity for them. If they made a slice battery pack for the Q, I would have no qualms living with it. Keep it in the bag and pop it on if I'm in need.

Will post if they actually reply. If anyone wants to encourage them, their email is .
    Known by old Palm folks as Crogs571. S4 user on Sprint with way too many backup phones (Spare S4, Epic, Evo Shift).
    Also resell for ProClip and can save you at least 10% on their mounts and cradles. Feel free to PM.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #55  

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgarry67 View Post
    So, to paraphrase:
    You want a slider
    You want a replaceable battery
    You may buy an Iphone

I am in the same boat, right up until your conclusion.
    You do realize that the Iphone...

I was so excited about the Q, but without a replaceable battery, I either hang on to the Epic (on CM9) or get used to typing without a keyboard
    Well, what I actually said is I want a slider and I want a replaceable battery but I'd settle for one of those snap-on external batteries that clip onto the back of your phone (not tethered) instead of a truly replaceable battery.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint doesn't sell enough of these for someone to manufacture one of those batteries for this phone but there are gobs of these made for the iPhone.

My slider is useless if it's dead so if I don't get the Q (due to possible lack of clip-on battery) my only option is to get a non-slider. And if I'm going to go that route I will consider switching over. Something I never thought I would do but my experience with the Epic has been an epic PITA so the reliability of the iPhone is appealing.

Now, I don't have as many headaches with my Android tablets to maybe it's just the Epic that's a POS. But if you combine all the time I've used my tablets together, that's less than a week's worth of phone usage so I haven't exactly battle tested my tablets. Nor have I really pushed their limits, I use them very casually.

My GF just got an S3 and seems happy with it. But she isn't a very demanding user, my experience might be radically different than hers. Decisions, decisions...
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #56  

Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I actually just emailed Mophie to see if they had plans to make cases for the new Moto and HTC phones. Would be a ground floor opportunity for them. If they made a slice battery pack for the Q, I would have no qualms living with it. Keep it in the bag and pop it on if I'm in need.

Will post if they actually reply. If anyone wants to encourage them, their email is .
    Excellent!

Well, what I actually said is I want a slider and I want a replaceable battery but I'd settle for one of those snap-on external batteries that clip onto the back of your phone (not tethered) instead of a truly replaceable battery.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint doesn't sell enough of these for someone to manufacture one of those batteries for this phone but there are gobs of these made for the iPhone.

My slider is useless if it's dead so if I don't get the Q (due to possible lack of clip-on battery) my only option is to get a non-slider. And if I'm going to go that route I will consider switching over. Something I never thought I would do but my experience with the Epic has been an epic PITA so the reliability of the iPhone is appealing.

Now, I don't have as many headaches with my Android tablets to maybe it's just the Epic that's a POS. But if you combine all the time I've used my tablets together, that's less than a week's worth of phone usage so I haven't exactly battle tested my tablets. Nor have I really pushed their limits, I use them very casually.

My GF just got an S3 and seems happy with it. But she isn't a very demanding user, my experience might be radically different than hers. Decisions, decisions...
    I understand. My point was that the your complaint (and mine) is about the battery and how a phone is no good if it is dead. Out of the hundreds of phones that are on the market, you picked one of the other few phones with the same inherent problem as your replacement. It just seems illogical.

I think it's funny. People can b**ch and moan about how this slate is ugly or feels cheap, but the lsates out there in general are just premium. HD screens, horsepower under the hood, some with big batteries. Options galore. The gs3. Is pretty much as good as it gets. The Epic was and is king of the sliders. It was the first and only premium slider to go toe to toe wuth its slate counterparts at the time.

Why is it the last of its kind? It's hung around for 2+ years without the EOL tag. Sammy, a year later, essentially copied it a yr later for Verizon. People knocked it early, but it's a landmark phone for sliders. Why hasn't another company made a slider since that equals it's premium slate counterpart and not have some compromise somewhere?

I'll argue my own point since the RAZR is qHD with a small battery, but they quickly came out with the Maxx. Has anyone confirmed this is qHD and not HD? The Atrix HD has a small battery but HD screen. HTC hasn't made a premium slider in years. The Arrive and MT4GS are both compromises all around. The rumored LG is still WVGA. The Sammy Blaze is going to T-mob with no other carriers being rumored.

I just wish we'd see one mfg make:

4.5-4.8" high end slate
    4.3" high end slider
    4.0" high end slate
    3.7" mid grade slate
    3.2-5" budget

The first three have all the same core specs; quad core or high end dual core with 2gb of ram. The 4.5+ and 4.3 slider are 720, the 4 is qHD. 3.7 qHD but lesser processor and 1gb of ram. The budget is 1 or 1.2ghz single core with 512mb of ram and wvga.

And that's it. 5 models. 5 designs across all markets. F**k the carriers and their wants and modifications. This is our product portfolio for the model year. Select the ones you want and the color schemes and we'll slap your name on it. Verizon, you want what? F**k off we'll take it to the regionals and prepaid.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
    uscpsycho likes this.

I think it's funny. People can b**ch and moan about how this slate is ugly or feels cheap, but the lsates out there in general are just premium. HD screens, horsepower under the hood, some with big batteries. Options galore. The gs3. Is pretty much as good as it gets. The Epic was and is king of the sliders. It was the first and only premium slider to go toe to toe wuth its slate counterparts at the time.

Why is it the last of its kind? It's hung around for 2+ years without the EOL tag. Sammy, a year later, essentially copied it a yr later for Verizon. People knocked it early, but it's a landmark phone for sliders. Why hasn't another company made a slider since that equals it's premium slate counterpart and not have some compromise somewhere?

I F**k off we'll take it to the regionals and prepaid.

a

So true - Epic is still hard to beat for functionality and quality . 2 years old and that hummingbird and 4" amoled still rocking. Every carrier abridged, neutered their S (no flash, bing etc) . The phone mfg know what we know, each new version of android feels like a new phone - which is why they and the carriers draaaag so much on those updates.

Each ROM I have used made me put off a phone purchase. CPU is snappy once the bloat is gone and seems each android kernal gets a bit tighter too, also our phone had exceptional GPU for graphics and has only been bested recently - a 2 YEAR RUN

Also mine the slider is sticky , usb jack sloppy - feels heavy, gets hot BUT never BROKE in 2 YEARS.

The other secret is that 2 years ago the charges were $40ish a month and now $80 is a deal...with those contract prices over 2 years, most informed will not get 'the free phone' so I think that does contribute to the mfg and carriers not having so much selection.

I wanted a Nexus (updates) and could have lived with a camera that rivals the Epic (2 years later) but it is a good phone , not a great phone and still hearing lots of weird , different bugs and such. The S3 is a great phone , but get the hybrid case and the insurance - it is no Epic in the drop test. Also I am a hardware junkie - and finally now see the kick *ss hardware but not sold on the 'consumer' feel - like win 8 all clicks in metro lead to ms and you have to wade through to get to where you want, the S3 feels a bit like that with All share play and samsung media hub and the like .

So still lost, maybe a little afraid to let go and burnt up my upgrade after 4 years (bought epic used in 2010) buying wife a S3 . Originally was waiting til LTE in San Diego and was going to make a commitment then.

Kenny

Well I'm going to be a guinea pig and preorder the Q. I have a spare line that is up in a year so worst case is I go back to the Epic, make a few hundred on the Q and wait it out another year. Heck, it'll fund the Surface purchase :-)

I also told my care rep that two weeks isn't going to fly. You've gone to an embedded battery and there is no way of me knowing how it's going to last in real world use in just two weeks. Too many different work scenarios to tackle. She said they would try to work with me, so I might not be on the hook with it for two years if it doesn't work out.

Well I'm going to be a guinea pig and preorder the Q. I have a spare line that is up in a year so worst case is I go back to the Epic, make a few hundred on the Q and wait it out another year. Heck, it'll fund the Surface purchase :-)

I also told my care rep that two weeks isn't going to fly. You've gone to an embedded battery and there is no way of me knowing how it's going to last in real world use in just two weeks. Too many different work scenarios to tackle. She said they would try to work with me, so I might not be on the hook with it for two years if it doesn't work out.

"Will try" and "guaranteed" are two different things. Have fun with that non-removable battery, sub-par screen, and slow updates.

All for a keyboard...

Sent from my AOSP Android 4.1.1 Galaxy Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by Zeinzu View Post
    "Will try" and "guaranteed" are two different things. Have fun with that non-removable battery, sub-par screen, and slow updates.

All for a keyboard...

We pay them $30k plus a year. They'll do more than try. And sorry, but some of us actually work from our phones. I'm more productive for work oriented activities on the Epic than anyone on a GS3. I'll take that challenge any day of the week, creating and editing various Office docs, extensive emails, even some games . Funny, such animosity. I'm not the biggest fan of the Q, but it costs me nothing to get it. Enjoy your toy slate and losing half your screen to type anything.

We pay them $30k plus a year. They'll do more than try. And sorry, but some of us actually work from our phones. I'm more productive for work oriented activities on the Epic than anyone on a GS3. I'll take that challenge any day of the week, creating and editing various Office docs, extensive emails, even some games . Funny, such animosity. I'm not the biggest fan of the Q, but it costs me nothing to get it. Enjoy your toy slate and losing half your screen to type anything.

My toy slate? Superior hardware and software hardly merits the term "toy".

It was a joke howdy. You're getting all worked up over a phone and people's preferences for what works for them. Have a beer and relax. The bottom line is people have preferences for what works for them. For some, it doesn't matter how big the screen is, how fast the processor is and how much ram it has. If it doesn't have a keyboard sliding out from the bottom it's not very useful to them. I've tried slates repeatedly. Owned a Hero, Evo and Epic Touch. Still own the og photon. I type just fine on it, but I hate it with a passion (the on screen typing). I've used swiftkey and swype. They're fine for what they are, but they just don't work for me when I need to do work and can manipulate the hard keyboard much better.

It was a joke howdy. You're getting all worked up over a phone and people's preferences for what works for them. Have a beer and relax. The bottom line is people have preferences for what works for them. For some, it doesn't matter how big the screen is, how fast the processor is and how much ram it has. If it doesn't have a keyboard sliding out from the bottom it's not very useful to them. I've tried slates repeatedly. Owned a Hero, Evo and Epic Touch. Still own the og photon. I type just fine on it, but I hate it with a passion (the on screen typing). I've used swiftkey and swype. They're fine for what they are, but they just don't work for me when I need to do work and can manipulate the hard keyboard much better.

Failed attempt to troll me. No one ever got worked up about anything. No one but you, anyway. Read through again if you need to refresh.

Sorry, my inferior slider was having a complex

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    Zeinzu 
    Zeinzu likes this.

Sorry, my inferior slider was having a complex

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2
    Ha, this made me lol for real. Thanks.

No trollin.

How can I root my fone??

ROM
    CM 9.1

You managed to make it all this way.. but you didn't even check out the stickies...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Good news for those of you who "gave up" on the idea of a new slider. Have some faith!

Sprint has finally made the Photon Q official! Read it and weep!

It's the Droid 4 in Sprint clothing, now, what features and functions that it has on Verizon has Sprint ordered Sammy to neuter?

Quote Originally Posted by Galane View Post
    It's the Droid 4 in Sprint clothing, now, what features and functions that it has on Verizon has Sprint ordered Sammy to neuter?
    Not to nit-pick, but I don't think Sammy has ANY say in neutering the Photon Q... Ya know, since it's made by Motorola...
    Also, Sprint tends to leave more things alone than Verizon does...
    Sprint Galaxy Nexus [stock for now]
    BB 8130, iPhone 4 8g, iPhone 3g 16gb, Toshiba e800, Palm Tungsten T
    [retired]Epic 4g, BB8330, BB 9670, Samsung Intercept, Katana DLX, Sanyo 8400, HTC Wizard, MPX220, and many others...

I think the Q is a bit neutered and hampered. Hampered by the qHD screen and neutered by the sub 2000mAh embedded battery and embedded SIM card for overseas use, locking travelers into Sprint's exorbitant roaming rates if they want to use their phone while abroad. I returned mine in a week. Mostly because I work in signal challenged areas where the wifi doesn't seem to like android email access, and my battery dies a quick death in about 4 hours. So no removable battery, no sale. Unfortunately I came into possession of a gs3 and lack of keyboard aside, it's pretty sweet. I truly hate typing on it even if I can do it rather well despite Swiftkey screwing me up left and right. It's like the lesser of evils for keyboards. So the speed, smoothness and screen are making it hard to go back to my Epic, though I might throw CM10 on it and see how it does, and then switch back.

I wish the Q had an HD screen and removable battery. Would've been damn near perfect. I probably would've gotten used to the oddly placed alt keys and the excessive key travel (to me anyway). Maybe I'm just really comfortable on the Epic. I can bang out a couple paragraphs without looking at the keys once I get started with no more than two mistakes. First phone I've had for more than a year+. My i500 was the last one I clinged to until Sprint screwed it with text messaging and made it unusable.

Quote Originally Posted by ratsttam View Post
    Not to nit-pick, but I don't think Sammy has ANY say in neutering the Photon Q... Ya know, since it's made by Motorola...
    Also, Sprint tends to leave more things alone than Verizon does...
    Samsung on the brain... :P Sprint had Samsung disable or remove video out functions on the Epic. There have been projects to get it working but just as they get something almost going they give up. WTH is up with that? Finish the job.

The phone manufacturers need to design a phone and tell the service providers "This is the phone. We'll put your logo on it and change the colors but that's all. We will NOT remove any feature we put so much time, effort and money into designing just because you want to jerk around your American customers while Europeans and Asians get to have all the goodies."

Tough to pick on the Epic at this point considering it's over two years old.

And the Samsung has done just as you suggested with the GS3, Note and Note 2. One can only hope a GS3 Mini and a GS3 Slider will round out the family and give their users the ultimate choice and a big FU to the other MFG's and Carriers. And then they can do the same for their value line or the Ace line as they call it.

Of course you do have the modified MHL adapter which should actually be the new standard as it has the pins to be powered from the phone and not require a separate charging adapter. Kinda nice, but seemingly shady by them since customers didn't know they had to buy yet another proprietary adapter to get MHL to work. Reality though, everyone should adopt that connector as standard because requiring a separate charging cable is unneeded in many cases. Maybe they'll make it free to use like they did their new file system (provide it is actually any good).

Quote Originally Posted by Galane View Post
    Samsung on the brain... :P Sprint had Samsung disable or remove video out functions on the Epic. There have been projects to get it working but just as they get something almost going they give up. WTH is up with that? Finish the job.

The phone manufacturers need to design a phone and tell the service providers "This is the phone. We'll put your logo on it and change the colors but that's all. We will NOT remove any feature we put so much time, effort and money into designing just because you want to jerk around your American customers while Europeans and Asians get to have all the goodies."
    It's all good. I'm half wondering if the video out in the origional software even worked. There is so many problems getting it working, that I'm led to believe that it is a hardware limitation that prevented Sprint/Samsung from keeping it there. If it was just turned off in software, the devs would probably have figured it out by now.
    Sprint Galaxy Nexus [stock for now]
    BB 8130, iPhone 4 8g, iPhone 3g 16gb, Toshiba e800, Palm Tungsten T
    [retired]Epic 4g, BB8330, BB 9670, Samsung Intercept, Katana DLX, Sanyo 8400, HTC Wizard, MPX220, and many others...
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123