Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 75
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default What's next for Epic users, and when?

    I assume most of us who have Epics bought this phone for the physical keyboard.

    Are any new Android phones on the horizon for Sprint that will have a physical keyboard? The GPS issues after the GB update and the severely restricted internal memory have my itching for a new phone. But I really want a physical keyboard. How long am I going to have to wait?
  2. #2  

    Default

    My upgrade isn't due until 2013 hopefully the Samsung Galaxy S3 is out and Sprint releases a good phone with slideout keyboard just like the Epic, but as of now I'm happy with it.

    Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
  3. #3  
    carraser891's Avatar

    Posts
    358 Posts
    Global Posts
    395 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock TW FH13 ICS 4.0.4

    Default Re: What's next for Epic users, and when?

    I honestly think the Epic 4G was the last "high end" phone to have a physical keyboard. Any you see in the future will be low ebd or mid range
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: What's next for Epic users, and when?

    Quote Originally Posted by carraser891 View Post
    I honestly think the Epic 4G was the last "high end" phone to have a physical keyboard. Any you see in the future will be low ebd or mid range
    This is my fear.

    Honestly, it is the lack of a keyboard that originally kept me away from the iPhone. But the Epic has soured me on Android use, ESPECIALLY the Gingerbread update which rendered my GPS useless. If there's not a suitable replacement with a keyboard I may go to the darkside.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: What's next for Epic users, and when?

    Quote Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post
    I assume most of us who have Epics bought this phone for the physical keyboard.

    Are any new Android phones on the horizon for Sprint that will have a physical keyboard? The GPS issues after the GB update and the severely restricted internal memory have my itching for a new phone. But I really want a physical keyboard. How long am I going to have to wait?
    I agree. Love the KB but the phone needs more internal RAM or flexibility to use SD as system memory. Phone makers seem to be focused on (1) thin (2) big screen (3) bells & whistles phones (3D cameras, etc) but not the core features I need and use most: phone, calendar, contacts, email, web, GPS. I need these to work reliably all the time. To me, this is the challenge that Android faces. Adding more sexy features comes at the expense of reliabilty in the core functions. It's sort of the difference between a toy and a tool. I need a tool.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: What's next for Epic users, and when?

    I'm starting to itch for an upgrade also, but there's nothing that's appealing to me right now. That and I don't have an upgrade until September this year. I also prefer a physical keyboard, but since getting SwiftKey I'm ready to try touchscreen only again.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: What's next for Epic users, and when?

    You guys have to root and install the Cyanogen7 mod. It's like getting a new phone!
    werkx and CallMePepe like this.
  8. #8  
    cheburashka's Avatar

    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanGB 1.1.2-MTD

    Default Re: What's next for Epic users, and when?

    i love my epic i may consider a note ...or something quad core, but at this time its an unnecessary expense.
  9. #9  

    Default

    Move over to the new official cm7 with wimax. With 85 apps installed I still have over 400mb internal storage free, gps works fine, and the keyboard doesn't skip. Performance and battery are phenominal. You won't be worried about a new phone for awhile.

    Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    werkx likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: What's next for Epic users, and when?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeinzu View Post
    Move over to the new official cm7 with wimax. With 85 apps installed I still have over 400mb internal storage free, gps works fine, and the keyboard doesn't skip. Performance and battery are phenominal. You won't be worried about a new phone for awhile.

    Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    I thought I read that 4G doessn't work in CM7. Did I get that wrong? If that works I'll be rooting to CM7 this weekend!
  11. #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoGeezer View Post
    I thought I read that 4G doessn't work in CM7. Did I get that wrong? If that works I'll be rooting to CM7 this weekend!
    Devs just recently got the Epic official cm and a build with 4g working and fully functional. There's a thread for it on xda, cm official site, sdx, and samsungepicforums.

    Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    werkx likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: What's next for Epic users, and when?

    I spent last night (hrs & hrs) reading the entire CM7 CR0 thread on xda forums. It sounds exciting & very tempting but USB redirect is not incorp'd into the build & devs don't seem interested in doing it. It's a feature I use so I have to weigh functional GPS (BIG +) vs music & voice Nav by USB to car stereo. Wish I could have both. There are some other bugs in CM7 but it sounds like huge progress & it's early in the game.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: What's next for Epic users, and when?

    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoGeezer View Post
    I spent last night (hrs & hrs) reading the entire CM7 CR0 thread on xda forums. It sounds exciting & very tempting but USB redirect is not incorp'd into the build & devs don't seem interested in doing it. It's a feature I use so I have to weigh functional GPS (BIG +) vs music & voice Nav by USB to car stereo. Wish I could have both. There are some other bugs in CM7 but it sounds like huge progress & it's early in the game.
    What exactly is USB redirect? Sounds like audio out to another device?

    I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I'd appreciate it if you could share some of the pros & cons (especially the cons) of CM7 so that the rest of us don't have to replicate your hours & hours of reading I've always been hesitant to root but Sprint & Samsung have teamed up to cripple my phone so badly that I'm open minded to the idea.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: What's next for Epic users, and when?

    I upgraded my Epic to the Epic 4G Touch last week. The big screen, faster performance, and more storage is why I wanted to upgrade. But the bigger size and no physical keyboard was also why I was hesitant to upgrade to the E4GT.

    Well, it turns out those two reasons are actually positives. Yes there is no physical kb, but because of the big screen size, using the virtual kb is really easy. I find myself actually making fewer corrections now than when I used the physical kb on the Epic. And the E4GT is so thin, it fits in my pocket easier than the Epic ever did.

    Looking forward to getting ICS in a few months!
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: What's next for Epic users, and when?

    If you haven't heard, Samsung Nexus is on its way to Sprint. Keyboard or not, that may be the nail in the Epic coffin for me. That phone is the first time I've ever considered going without a physical keyboard and this dates all the way back to the Palm Treo days.
  16. #16  
    werkx's Avatar

    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts

    Default Re: What's next for Epic users, and when?

    I do like the slider keyboard and I'm excited to hear our Epic 4G is finally officially CM supported. I have a feeling that sliders on high-end smartphones are going away, so time to adjust.

    The rumor is that Sprint is going to announce their first LTE device, looks to be the Galaxy Nexus, next week at CES. But I've also heard rumor of the Galaxy Note coming to Sprint. If the Note is also LTE enable, I'll have a very tough time deciding which.

    In addition, if Sprint doesn't release these until June, then I'm hoping the hardware for the Nexus will be improved otherwise the Nexus will fall on my list of options.

    Anyway, if I get annoyed or bored with my Epic, then I'll flash CM to hold me over.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: What's next for Epic users, and when?

    Hardware shmardware.

    The hardware on these phones is good enough if the software is solid. Look at how happy people with the Epic are who installed CM7 and it's only CR0.

    If you didn't know, the beauty of the Nexus is software support is from Google. That means very limited bloatware and Nexus owners are the first to get updates. No sitting around hoping, wondering if/when you'll get the latest update. I'll take that kind of support over the latest greatest hardware any day. As someone said earlier, just make the damn thing work! Besides, the Nexus' hardware is pretty solid and rumored to be LTE.

    For those of us who can't live without a keyboard, maybe someone will make one of those bluetooth slider keyboards that attach to the Nexus, like the ones they have for iPhone. I doubt it though because no single Android model is nearly as popular as the iPhone so there is limited sales potential on the Android side.
  18. #18  

    Default

    The gs2 alone beat out the Iphone sales for this year. Why do you think Apple kept taking them to court all across the globe? Lol.

    Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
  19. #19  

    Default Re: What's next for Epic users, and when?

    Quote Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post
    What exactly is USB redirect? Sounds like audio out to another device?

    I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I'd appreciate it if you could share some of the pros & cons (especially the cons) of CM7 so that the rest of us don't have to replicate your hours & hours of reading I've always been hesitant to root but Sprint & Samsung have teamed up to cripple my phone so badly that I'm open minded to the idea.
    Just got a chance to log in. USB sound redirect is used in the Samsung (& maybe others) car dock to send the audio output to car stereo. It's kind of mickey mouse in a way because the dock coonector for charging through USB blocks the phone jack port so the redirect sends audio through USB to a phone jack on the back of the dock. Some have devised physical hacks to access the phone's audio jack but iKve always used redirect (it works on stock GB).

    Regarding CM7, it is the first release and different folks are finding bugs as they use & test it. I can't recall most of them, some tethering issues (I don't use), but some reported noise on calls :n the other end, some text issues; things you might not accept in a high-end device OS. Personally, I bought this phone to serve me, not to spend endless hours trying to figure out how to get the features I was told it had to work. Sorry for the ranting novel, but I get frustrated when development is focused on 3D camers and I can't search my contacts by business name or set my Google calendar to the default. Simple stuff that should work just doesn't. And then an OS upgrade screws up other functions that I need.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: What's next for Epic users, and when?

    I like how verizon is coming out with mid to high end phones like the Samsung Stratosphere yes its similar to the Epic which I would never consider entry level but more like high end. They even have the razr with physical keyboard on the way. I wish sprint would consider getting more phones with physical keyboards at least some with dual core processor 1 gig ram and around 4 inches in screen size. I would settle for that and im willing to sacrifize the 4+ inches of screen for a keyboard but wouldnt settle for nothing less than 4 inches.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: What's next for Epic users, and when?

    Quote Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post
    For those of us who can't live without a keyboard, maybe someone will make one of those bluetooth slider keyboards that attach to the Nexus, like the ones they have for iPhone.
    This is probably the direction the market is headed. It seems like the people who really need that physical keyboard are geeks like me and my co-workers who very often need to type in numbers and non-alpha-numerics for complex passwords and code. My wife has the galaxy S II and she loves it. But she only uses it for twitter/facebook/texting. I can swype pretty well and do use the virtual keyboard. But there are certainly times when I slide it open and have to bang out things that would take 3 times as long on a virtual keyboard.
    rando991 likes this.
  22. #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoGeezer View Post
    Just got a chance to log in. USB sound redirect is used in the Samsung (& maybe others) car dock to send the audio output to car stereo. It's kind of mickey mouse in a way because the dock coonector for charging through USB blocks the phone jack port so the redirect sends audio through USB to a phone jack on the back of the dock. Some have devised physical hacks to access the phone's audio jack but iKve always used redirect (it works on stock GB).

    Regarding CM7, it is the first release and different folks are finding bugs as they use & test it. I can't recall most of them, some tethering issues (I don't use), but some reported noise on calls :n the other end, some text issues; things you might not accept in a high-end device OS. Personally, I bought this phone to serve me, not to spend endless hours trying to figure out how to get the features I was told it had to work. Sorry for the ranting novel, but I get frustrated when development is focused on 3D camers and I can't search my contacts by business name or set my Google calendar to the default. Simple stuff that should work just doesn't. And then an OS upgrade screws up other functions that I need.
    So when u say the sound redirects through USB, are u conecting an USB cable to the phone or a 3.5mm audio cable to get the sound?
    Is this the same as the desk dock, where u plug the audio cable to the back of the dock and the phone is docked?
  23. #23  

    Default Re: What's next for Epic users, and when?

    Cerobles1,
    Yes, the Samsung car dock has a micro USB cable port and a mini phone jack port on the back of the dock, on the sliding "dock connector". This connector slides into the phone's micro USB to connect dock to phone but blocks access to the phone's mini phone jack (audio out) port at the same time. So the Dock Sound redirect routes audio (music, navigation voice, etc.) through the phones USB to dock USB to dock audio port (mini phone jack) to whatever you use on the other end. My car has phone jack aux input to car audio system. Hope that helps.
  24. #24  
    rando991's Avatar

    Posts
    580 Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Rooted

    Default Re: What's next for Epic users, and when?

    uscpsycho, didn't you ever try to flash the GPS_Fix.zip? I've been using this since EI22, then EL30 and now FC09 and it works great. Even the stock ROM with root is a lot better phone than it used to be. It has matured, and like others have said, the newer custom ROMs can make it like an entirely new phone.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

    Default Re: What's next for Epic users, and when?

    Quote Originally Posted by rando991 View Post
    uscpsycho, didn't you ever try to flash the GPS_Fix.zip? I've been using this since EI22, then EL30 and now FC09 and it works great. Even the stock ROM with root is a lot better phone than it used to be. It has matured, and like others have said, the newer custom ROMs can make it like an entirely new phone.
    I sure have.

    I'm actually starting to thing that the problem is Google Nav and not my phone. I got a new phone from Sprint, applied the fix, changed the ROM and left it relatively clean. Google Nav still locks my phone up. So at this point it seems like this is a software issue that Google needs to address. Hopefully they will...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions