Handcent or Go SMS questions; and pros and cons

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
First the question these apps replace the stock messaging app right? And in the event I find I don't like and want to go back to using the stock messaging app is it as simple as uninstall and the stock messaging app will take over? What are the pros and cons to these two options? and perhaps a bit of feature comparison if there is anything particular one can do the other can't. Oh and if it matters I'm running CM7.

Thanks

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, it doesn't actually matter what rom (stock, CM7, or any other), alternate SMS apps are one of the great many advantages of Android. Each has their own good and bad. I won't be the one to tell you which one to install. Actually, go ahead and install both. See which one looks and feels better for you to use. Uninstall the other one, or both, if you desire. The only thing you'll really need to do if you have more than one app installed, is go into each and turn off notifications for the ones your not using at the time. Not a problem if you don't, but you will get multiple notifications that way. You've gone and rooted and installed CM7, might as well go all the way and start tinkering with it a little ;)

josearmz10789

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I like handsent sms better cuz of the customisation. I turned off the notifications for the stock app but it still shows I have unread messages I really hate that.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
At a glance both seem to have the same customization. However handcent has in app adds and some of the useful features require you to sign up for an account with them. Personally I'm one to not like having to sign up for accounts unless absolutely necessary. But anyways so far I have decided to use go sms but I'm interested in what everyone has to say pro and cons for the two out of curiosity and whatnot.

jmiller0519

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
When I first got onto Android I was all about using handsent because I could customize it to look cool. Beyond that I saw no benefit and have just stuck with the stock text app since. I figured why add an app for something the phone does on its own just fine.

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I used handcent first and was great. I was curious to try gosms and did. I have stuck with gosms. I find it better but its just preference. It runs faster for me and they are constantly updating it. Try both and see.

Sent from my HTC PH39100

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
For me the primary reason is for it's built in ability to blacklist. With some custom ROMs like CM7 you get a SMS when you get new voicemail in addition to the standard voicemail notification. This at least was the reason for me looking into these. And at the same time had me curious about the differences etc between the two.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma