Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Default Re: [GINGERBREAD][EL30] Official EL30 Gingerbread Samsung Epic 4g

Just wanted to weigh in that I have had a Epic 4G since it first came out. Have had to do factory restores when I updated to Froyo & Gingerbread bc of issues, but didn't have to do one (yet) for this update. Tried the incoming calls and they seem to be working fine, although the new answer swipe is a little weird. Overall feels a bit faster for me, maybe it's just the placebo of knowing CIQ is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaLea View Post
    OK, I have been away from quirking my device for about 2 months. Please refresh my memory.
    I'm on EI22, and rooted & haven't gotten the update yet.
    So correct me if I'm wrong, but if I wanted to manually update:
    I would have to Odin and reinstall EI22 (to unroot) then apply the update.zip file posted in the 1st post. correct?

Also, someone mentioned early in the thread that they were having problems receiving calls (FCs). Has anyone else had this problem? I want to know if this is a major problem before I attempt to install.

Thx.
    Quote Originally Posted by rando991 View Post
    Yes, you need to ODIN back to EC05, apply the update to EI22 and then go ahead and apply the update to EL30 (it's already out and you don't have to wait for the OTA). Then you will want to flash the new kernel, CWM 5.2.0.7, Superuser, and the EI22 GPS Fix.
    Thanks so much. Please confirm my steps:
    Do I:
    1-Odin back to EC05
    2-Rename my zip file (EC05 to EI22) to update.zip
    3-Run update.zip
    4-Rename my zip file (EI22 to EL30) to update.zip
    5-Run update.zip
    6-Run Kernel-GB-3a.tar via Odin
    7-Run CWM5.0.2.7 via Odin
    8-Run Superuser via CWM
    9-Run GPS fix

2 questions -
    +Do all the .tar files go in the PDA slot on Odin.
    +the CWM is .tar.md5 - Do I remove the .md5?

Thanks so much!!
    Last edited by ShaLea; 01-26-2012 at 10:16 AM.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  

Quote Originally Posted by ShaLea View Post
    Thanks so much. Please confirm my steps:
    Do I:
    1-Odin back to EC05
    2-Rename my zip file (EC05 to EI22) to update.zip
    3-Run update.zip
    4-Rename my zip file (EI22 to EL30) to update.zip
    5-Run update.zip
    6-Run Kernel-GB-3a.tar via Odin
    7-Run CWM5.0.2.7 via Odin
    8-Run Superuser via CWM
    9-Run GPS fix

2 questions -
    +Do all the .tar files go in the PDA slot on Odin.
    +the CWM is .tar.md5 - Do I remove the .md5?

Thanks so much!!
    Everything looks correct in your steps.. I know its alot of work but until there is an official TAR for EI22 or EL30 thats the painful process..

Second... Yes TAR's go in the PDA slot, no need to remove the .md5.

[ROOT][CWM][GUIDE][GINGERBREAD] Rooting the Samsung Epic 4g

The above link explains it all.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Thanked by:
    ShaLea 
    demopedro likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rando991 View Post
    I think you'll find that you will want to reapply the EI22 GPS fix. I did on both our phones and am very pleased with the results.
    For sure. Considering how good EI22 was for me (with GPS fix) EL30 turned out to be a disaster. I applied the fix last night and will see how things go.
    Thanked by:
    ShaLea 
    ShaLea likes this.

Is it too soon to ask the consensus on this update? Did it fix the GPS along with the other random issues?

Quote Originally Posted by werkx View Post
    Just got it this morning. Voice call and voice mail broken. When a call comes in, I would get the force close on com.android.com. Once I choose force close, I can see the radio resetting. Voice mail won't automatically play. I can mute and trash, but the play/pause button is grayed out. I did a battery pull and still same problem.

This is the first time I've had OTA problem and have never rooted it. If I have to do a factory reset, I might as well root and flash.

Same thing happened to me this a.m. I'm getting force close on incoming calls. No problem w/ outgoing, only incoming. Doesn't show caller ID, basically blacked out screen... Should I do a manual re-load of EL30? I'm very new to this... Thanks!
    B.

Also, if I have to do a factory reset, how do I save all my info to reload? Thanks again!

UPDATE:
    PROBLEM SOLVED:
    I wanted to write you back to let you know I spoke w/ Sprint, and the "fix" is much simpler. The fix is to go to the MENU, then SETTINGS, then CALL SETTINGS, then REJECT WITH MESSAGE... Once you get here, the likelihood is that there are more than 5 reject messages... Any message not needed should be deleted; 5 max remaining. Once that is complete, power down, restart, and test. All should be well. It worked on mine very easily...
    Last edited by bdh7777; 01-26-2012 at 06:58 PM.

For backing up your data before doing the hard reset...
    (Disclaimer: this probably not the most efficient way, but it is effective)

Contacts and calendar entries - Please tell me they're synced to Google already...if not, they can be exported to your SD card and imported into your Gmail account via a computer

Call log and SMS Backups - Download 2 apps from the market called "SMS Backup and Restore" and I thI think the other's called "Call log Backup" or something like that. They are from the same developer"

Apps BACKUP - I use AppSaver from the Market. It saves apps to your SD card. (Make sure you backup LAppSaver itself otherwise, you'll have to get it from the Market again)

If you care about your voicemails and have the latest update to the vmail app, there is an option to save msgs to the SDcard, as well.

Once all this backed up to Google and your SDcard, it is recommended that you also back up your entire SD card to your computer.

After all of this backing up and before actually doing the reset, turn off the phone, remove the sd card, turn it back on and do the reset.*

If you have a spare sd card is empty or has invaluable, expendable data that you don't care about losing on it, place that in instead then, turn on and do the reset.

*I have not personally tried this. An SD card "may" be required to complete the process. I did the whole expendable sd card thing.

After the reset, it'll be like you just bought the phone today. So, you will need to restore all of your apps using AppSaver or equivalent, and once restored, the other apps to restore your Call log and Texts. You will need to resync your Google acct and any other emails accts and start afresh on any bookmarks.

(All the apps I mentioned are free (well, they have paid versions, but the free ones work just fine for these purposes.)

Anyone, please feel free to confirm, deny, accept, reject, most importantly, correct or expound on anything I have typed. (Barring grammar or syntax, as I'm typing from my phone.)

~Regards

Quote Originally Posted by bdh7777 View Post
    Same thing happened to me this a.m. I'm getting force close on incoming calls. No problem w/ outgoing, only incoming. Doesn't show caller ID, basically blacked out screen... Should I do a manual re-load of EL30? I'm very new to this... Thanks!
    B.

Also, if I have to do a factory reset, how do I save all my info to reload? Thanks again!

Never heard of the AppSaver before but this might be just what I've been looking for.

If you know, can you compare this with Titanium Backup (just the backup features). My understanding is that you need to root in order to do a complete backup & restore which is what Titanium is widely used for. Are you saying AppSaver will save all of your apps to SD, even the ones you can't run from SD, and then reinstall them?

If so, will you lose your data & settings or does it backup/restore all that too?

What about apps that are already installed to your SD card? Will those just repopulate when you use the same SD card or do you need to use this app to reinstall them even though they're already on the card?

Global Posts
    359 Global Posts

@Tahe, does AppSaver saves settings and progress (games), too, or just apps?

Global Posts
    359 Global Posts

For others still having the incoming voice call issue, it was recommended in the Sprint forum that paring down your list of Reject with Message to less than 5 will resolve that issue. Many tried it and it worked.

I recommend rebooting afterwards, too.

I received the EL30 update earlier today (Chicago) and one key improvement that I noticed is that Skype now works properly with the front facing camera (rotation/orientation). No more holding the phone sideways so people can see you right side up. Maybe it was a Skype update that I missed but I'm giving EL30 the credit for now. I haven't had the time for a proper GPS test but initial tests are not promising. I had to use the GPS Status app to reset the GPS when it hung after a short test. Incoming calls are fine but I'm not sure I like the new swipe to answer design. After the update my SD card scanning indicator was stuck on 100% after the update so I simply turned off the phone and turned it back on again. I also noticed that Norton Utilities "clear cache" function requires me to resort the cache apps for them to appear. At first nothing shows up in cache. Once I do the sort option everything shows up but I can't clear the cache. After deselecting and then reselecting an app, the "clear cache" button lights up so I can clear it. Odd. I'll take the phone on the trails this weekend along with my trusty old stand-alone GPS unit as I'm afraid the Epic4G GPS will lock up on me again.

Also forgot to add that I can now use my old Motorola Bluetooth headset now and the screen lock no longer disables the headset. Finally I can go back to a real handsfree when I'm driving...
    Last edited by daehttub; 01-26-2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Forgot item

Quote Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post
    Never heard of the AppSaver before but this might be just what I've been looking for.

If you know, can you compare this with Titanium Backup (just the backup features). My understanding is that you need to root in order to do a complete backup & restore which is what Titanium is widely used for. Are you saying AppSaver will save all of your apps to SD, even the ones you can't run from SD, and then reinstall them?

If so, will you lose your data & settings or does it backup/restore all that too?

What about apps that are already installed to your SD card? Will those just repopulate when you use the same SD card or do you need to use this app to reinstall them even though they're already on the card?
    I don't have very much experience with Titanium Backup at all, unfortunately. As for AppSaver, yes you can save all of the apps that were downloaded from the Market (I.e. not the preinstalled apps) on the SD card. What it does is creates a folder called "App Saver" and saves them there. You can use the app itself to reinstall them or you can do so directly by tapping the apk file from the within the App Saver folder. (Note: you will need to make sure you check the box in the phone's Settings, Manage Applications... "...Unknown Source" to do it the latter way)

No, sadly, this does not save any data or settings from the apps. ... I know, right? ... Hope this info still helps, though.

~Regards
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by werkx View Post
    @Tahe, does AppSaver saves settings and progress (games), too, or just apps?
    Just apps

...By any chance, would someone be able to provide or direct me to the image file for this default "Sand dune/Blue sky" wallpaper?

I think it's sweet, but I like change backgrounds often and know I will "lose" this once I do.

Any info, link, etc. would be appreciated indeed.

I noticed the same thing with Skype but I think it was their latest December release that may have fixed the orientation issue.

Quote Originally Posted by daehttub View Post
    I haven't had the time for a proper GPS test but initial tests are not promising. I had to use the GPS Status app to reset the GPS when it hung after a short test.
    Try doing the horizontal calibration with the screen facing up. That's supposed to be really, truly fixed in EL30. Calibrating upside down with EC05 fixed the compass and GPS. Calibrating right side up has worked for me with EI22.

If you have a case on the phone take the back half off or use something to prop the camera end up so the phone will be level while calibrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahe View Post
    I don't have very much experience with Titanium Backup at all, unfortunately. As for AppSaver, yes you can save all of the apps that were downloaded from the Market (I.e. not the preinstalled apps) on the SD card. What it does is creates a folder called "App Saver" and saves them there. You can use the app itself to reinstall them or you can do so directly by tapping the apk file from the within the App Saver folder. (Note: you will need to make sure you check the box in the phone's Settings, Manage Applications... "...Unknown Source" to do it the latter way)

No, sadly, this does not save any data or settings from the apps. ... I know, right? ... Hope this info still helps, though.

~Regards
    Do apps that were installed form the Amazon Appstore get backed up too?

What about apps that you've already moved to the SD card, how are they handled by App Saver? Are they backed up too?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post
    Do apps that were installed form the Amazon Appstore get backed up too?

What about apps that you've already moved to the SD card, how are they handled by App Saver? Are they backed up too?

Thanks.

I'm not sure about Amazon Appstore apps. If the files end in ".apk", I would think that it's possible, but again I'm not sure, as I haven't had to try that. I think it's worth a shot.

Yes, apps that are already moved to the SD card, can backed up as well, because remember, they will be stored in the desginated folder called "App Saver" on the card. It will be up to you if want to select those apps that you know are already stored on the SD or not. But, the capability to do so is there.

I recommend you go a head and download the free app, drive it around a bit, and see if you think it will meet your needs (remember, though, it does not save the data or settings).

If you're looking to not have go to the market and re-dl all of your apps, this app will save you a ton of time and brain cells

...By any chance, would someone be able to provide or direct me to the image file for this default "Sand dune/Blue sky" wallpaper?

I think it's sweet, but I like change backgrounds often and know I will "lose" this once I do.

I was serious about this - lol

I received the update probably on Friday last week but didn't install until Wednesday this week as that was the first time I really had a chance to go from rooted back to stock.

Am disappointed that the scrolling wallpaper is gone now, but that is a minor thing. GPS is finally working again so am happy about that. So am running stock again for now and so far have not found any issues.

Now of course, even though we all have the same hardware, results will vary, but I do not have any issues with EL30 yet.

This one?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/att...llpaper_04.jpg
    Thanked by:
    Tahe 

I'm rather surprised how many people miss the scrolling wallpaper. I was never a fan of that. I liked to be able to see the entire background at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by lafountain View Post
    YES!!! Thank you sooo much!

My google image search was lacking, though I did keep a couple I came across...they just weren't quite this one

Thanks, again!
    Last edited by Tahe; 01-27-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: typo couldnt ignore

If we poke that wider wallpaper into the right spot in EL30, will it scroll?

ROM
    Rooted, EB13

Quote Originally Posted by Vinman911 View Post
    Here's my story. After my OTA failed this morning because of the GPS fix I installed, I looked around for other users with the problem and found this post as well.

The only thing was that after trying the remove zip the update failed as well so I took the above original GPS file from EL22 posted in the quote and replaced it in the original GPS fix zip script.

Then took the official EL22 to EL30 update file, renamed it to update.zip threw it on the root of my SD card and used the stock android recovery to manually update (because no matter what I did I coult not get the OTA to push again).

Worked like a charm for me (did not get the dreaded error 7 failing on the original gps file check) and the GPS seems to work in Telenav without a lockup at least that I tested and i can see 12 gps sats! If anyone wants to try I've attached my version here.
    Bear with me, it's been awhile since I did anything to the phone. I updated to EL22 and did the GPS fix. I am followning what you did here. I have ACS Recovery installed how to I go back to android stock recovery?
    Just my $2 worth.

It used to be my 2 cents worth but things have gone up a bit because of inflation.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast