mint.com?? but if I need an alternative

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Update: to my amazement my bank is now added to mint.com despite the appearance they were not going to do it. My original post is as follows in case anyone was still wanting to see it.

I'm always hearing about how great this service is especially since it is free. So after looking into it to see if I can trust it since my info is stored online I decided to check it out. However it appears you can't enter accounts manually and can only link it to your accounts. Problem is my back is not in the list of banks you can do this with. I contacted my back an I'm not sure if they understand what mint.com is exactly. Their response in short (snipped parts out):
[BOX]
At this time xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx does not have any plans to pursue a relationship with them.

When we enter into a vendor agreement that allows access to our member data we are required to perform due diligence testing of their processes and also to maintain satisfactory evidence that they are in compliance with regulations on maintaining and accessing member data.

We hope that in the future we will have the resources to develop an internal technology department that will assist us in developing programs that will allow us to build relationships such as these
[/BOX]

My impression is that the responder thinks that they need to verify the security of mint.com and have a team of developers implement something at the banks end so that mint.com can do it's thing but mint.com gives the impression that as long as you have online access to your accounts that it is able to do it's thing, Implying that the bank need not do anything but agree with mint.com to let account holders use mint.com to log in to their online banking for them.

Anyone more knowledgeable on the subject that can help me understand, and possibly pursue my bank and mint.com so that I can use it for my finances? Otherwise I'm out of luck I guess on a solution since I am not interested in paying yet again for another solution. I have done so too many times now and quite frankly feel I shouldn't have to keep buying every time a platform dies or OS upgrades break the previous solution I used making it so I have to buy a new one or upgrade that works with it. I'm relatively new to android (only been using a little over a year). Prior to that I used webOS (not really dead but no new hardware), preceded by blackberry, then palmOS, all along side windows. Each OS not counting webOS several purchases each. I don't even want to try and think how much money I've spent at this point because it is significantly more than I should have had to spend to track my finances.

Thanks much for reading and any help

Last edited:

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Due to account security, the service has to be authorized to access accounts. Mint.com will tell you that it has to work with the banks to gain access to their systems. That's why there's a list of banks that are available. Not all banks (especially credit unions) will allow this level of access.
For what it's worth, Mint.com is part of Quicken.

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Yup I figured my bank would be aware of that since I linked the site in my email to them. So I was correct in my thinking and all they need from the bank is authorization to access the account as I described. Is it worth taking the time to continue to follow up on both ends about my bank being supported? If I were to do that I could explain to my bank that they need not do anything but authorize access. Since I got the impression from their reply that they think they have to have developers code something on their system. Not sure what I could ask of mint.com other than requesting if they have talked with my bank and how the process is progressing. Because mint.com is intuit inc (quicken makers) that should be sufficient enough to pass their security requirement since they have been certified by several top security firms. Including the same one my bank uses for their debit and credit cards.

Auntie_

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
According to my credit union, they won't work with Mint.com, because Mint.com refused to sign a contact saying that they'd never sell our rent their user list for 3rd party sales. Since I wasn't willing to go back to Skank of America, I've given up on using Mint.com for now.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance