1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    3,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

Default class 10 micro SD card recommendations needed

I have some gift money on amazon and was thinking of spending it on an upgrade SD card for my epic. I thought it would be as simple as looking at a chart on toms hardware for what one is best to get but there seems to be a half dozen charts that more or less have no meaning to me as far as what I need to look for. I would appreciate any help in choosing what card to get.

Thanks much

ROM
    Stock/Rooted

Default Re: class 10 micro SD card recommendations needed

Sure! I got this 32GB Sandisk class 4 and it works like a champ! I can now save video at HD settings. I got 2, one for me and one for my wife's phone: (SanDisk 32 GB SD HC micro SDHC Class 4 Flash Memory Card). Search Amazon.com for this, they are around $30. The class number and performance is different b/w manufacturer...as I don't think Sandisk even makes a "class 10" (it's like comparing LTE and WiMaxx when you talk about 4G). These cards DON"T need to be formatted. You just plug in your phone, copy the sd card contents to a folder in your PC, then copy the contents of this folder back to the new SD card. This card also comes with a card reader that looks like an orange USB Thumb drive.

Also, while you are at it, upgrade to the 1800ma battery that came with the Samsung Epic Touch. They are on Amazon too. I got 2 of those.

Once you are all upgraded, you can root and upgrade your ROM to a custom or just FC09 (be sure to use the GPS_Fix.zip if you stay on stock). Almost a new phone!

Been using a class 10/32 gig pny card in my evo 3d since launch day and it has worked flawlessly.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
    love my evo.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    3,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

This is a tough call, benchmark results for these two cards appear to be favorable on one end and pretty disappointing on the other end. The sandisk performs most excellently at very small files (under 10MB) but rapidly decreases in performance for anything over 10MB. The pny one appears to fall short of meeting the class 10 standard even with very large files (1GB+) and rapidly declines in performance for smaller files under 10MB. I'm not sure I like the sound of either. I'd like to have one that performs more evenly. And will be equal to or exceed the performance of the internal storage.

Don't buy PNY. Every PNY product I've ever owned has burned out within a few short months. Really ty company and they don't keep to their lifetime warranty replacement gaurantees.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    3,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

I have some really nice patriot brand USB sticks that perform uniformly through the range of files sizes, I wonder if they make high performing micro sd cards.