1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Have you had it with your Epic? The Photon Q is official!

Sprint has finally made the Photon Q official. Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on it. I've had it with my Epic! Even if the PQ isn't perfect it can't possibly be worse than my Epic.

2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Have you had it with your Epic? The Photon Q is official!

Posted this in another thread but realize maybe this should be here instead. Sorry for the double post...

So reading the this has an embedded battery. I assume that means you can't swap batteries when you're running low. They took the one thing I can't live without in the Epic (other than the keyboard) and took it away. It will be very hard for me to get by on one battery no matter how long they say it will last. I never leave the house without spare batteries in my pocket.

The other possible downgrade is the ColorBoost screen rather than AMOLED. I don't personally care, as long as it's legible in bright sunlight I can live with anything. But why oh why oh why did you take my beloved swappable battery away???
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

OK, I'll bi*ch some more. Why only 8GB of on board RAM? WTH? Less than 16 is inexcusable.

And no SDXC support? Or at least I assume so because the spec sheet says only memory cards up to 32GB are supported. What's the logic in skimping on SDXC? I don't think this is something that can be upgraded via firmware if it's not built for SDXC.

Quote Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post
    OK, I'll bi*ch some more. Why only 8GB of on board RAM? WTH? Less than 16 is inexcusable.

And no SDXC support? Or at least I assume so because the spec sheet says only memory cards up to 32GB are supported. What's the logic in skimping on SDXC? I don't think this is something that can be upgraded via firmware if it's not built for SDXC.
    ROM not RAM.

Sent from my SPH-D700 CM9 RC2 ANDROID 4.0.4
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Wait a second... So it's only 1GB RAM? WTF? Why are they saying up to 40GB memory with a 32GB memory card?

Unless ROM works differently in a phone we can't use that 8GB for installing apps, storing data, etc.

Terrible. Just terrible.

Well, since we're bit ching

I have held off on any sprint phone lust because 4g lte won't likely be around here any time soon. Further, I read an article that said that sprint's new 4g is still not that great. Sprint apparently has the slowest data speeds. I am not going to get suckered into another 2 year extension to get a pretty new phone. I'll di ck around with this epic until this contract is up and then shop around some other carriers. I have been with sprint for like 10 years or more and it's time to see what else is out there.

Wait a second... So it's only 1GB RAM? WTF? Why are they saying up to 40GB memory with a 32GB memory card?

Unless ROM works differently in a phone we can't use that 8GB for installing apps, storing data, etc.

Terrible. Just terrible.
    The "ram" is for managing/multitasking active applications. The 8gb is internal storage for user apps/data. The micro sd card extends that. 8gb internal + 32gb max external = 40gb maximum storage.

Sent from my SPH-D700 CM9 RC2 ANDROID 4.0.4

ROM
    CM 9.1

Looks like a cool phone for someone who absolutely needs a phys keyboard.

I thought I needed one after coming from blackberry, but I find myself using it only every couple of months or so.

Samsung is really dropping the ball on this. Where's the Galaxy S3 Epic 4G LTE??? I do like seeing a new high end full QWERTY keyboard smartphone and kudos to Moto for doing this for Sprint. However, a nonreplaceable battery is a deal killer for me. You can see my rant on an earlier battery thread in this forum. I'll be hanging on to my Epic 4G a while longer. Just have to have a full screen available when I type with a dedicated number key row and a replaceable battery. If Samsung came up with the Galaxy Note Slider with a full Epic 4G style keyboard I would be in hog heaven...

Hello? Anybody from Samsung lurking on this forum? I know Samsung is sitting pretty cranking out the S3's but you're going to surrender the high end QWERTY market to Motorola. It just kills me that Samsung makes such a huge variety of smartphones for small market niches but has given up on the high end QWERTY market.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

If anyone from Sprint is listening please do not put your energy into a Note-sized slider!

Have you actually seen a Note in person, or just in the commercials? It's comically large. If you see someone holding it to their face and using it as a phone you'll pee from laughing so hard. Horrible size for a phone. And it will be a beast as a slider.

I'd be all over a SGS3 slider though.

We still have hope that the LG slider will suit us. The leaked specs suggest crappy screen resolution but no word on wether or not the battery is replaceable.

If anyone from Sprint is listening please do not put your energy into a Note-sized slider!

Have you actually seen a Note in person, or just in the commercials? It's comically large. If you see someone holding it to their face and using it as a phone you'll pee from laughing so hard. Horrible size for a phone. And it will be a beast as a slider.

I'd be all over a SGS3 slider though.

We still have hope that the LG slider will suit us. The leaked specs suggest crappy screen resolution but no word on wether or not the battery is replaceable.
    I think you are forgetting about people with BIG hands and FAT fingers. With apologies to an earlier poster for stealing his quote, "...Mongo want big phone..." I think that's a major factor that separates the Android crowd from the 3.5" tiny handed "Hello Kitty" iPhone crowd. The Galaxy Note's success indicates that there are a lot of Clydesdales out there, present company included. C'mon, we're talking bout the good ole U.S.A. here...

I've actually played with the Galaxy Note at the AT&T stores. It's BIG but in a good way. It's razor thin (to me) so I see a slider being even skinnier that the Epic 4G. Give the 5.3" screen size and perhaps slightly larger full QWERTY keyboard (plus touchpad?) it would be a real winner in my eyes. It would also start blurring the lines between smartphone/tablet/ultrabook.

Finally, I always use a bluetooth, earbuds w/mic, or speakerphone as I don't like microwaving my grey matter. Yes, holding a Note to your ear as a phone would look quite silly for most people but probably would look normal if Shaq were doing it.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

It's not exactly pocketable either. The Epic is a snug fit at times in my front pants pocket. The Note? As a slider? Fugeddaboutit. I'd have to resort to a fanny pack

The T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G (No I didn't make this name up) gives me a little bit of hope that a revamped Sprint Samsung Epic 4G QWERTY might be coming soon. Samsung could have called it the Galaxy S Photon Q mini... 1.5 GHz Dual Core Snapdragon S3 with 4.0 ICS, 1GB RAM, 8GB(4GB avail?) internal memory w/32GB SD slot and replaceable 1800mAh battery is a good start. Too bad the screen resolution stays the same. I like the new key spacing but don't like the loss of the four function keys on the QWERTY.

Of course I’d rather have more Galaxy S3 content and LTE in the phone before I re-up for another 2 years with Sprint…