are you glad you didn't get the EVO?

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I am so glad I did not use my upgrade on the EVO. I tried it for a bit and couldn't get over the lack of color depth due to the 16bit screen and I prefer a physical keypad. Now here comes the Epic to answer all my problems. 24bit screen with beautiful colors, plays xvids, divx, mkv, wmv, avi, flv and sports a GPU that can play 3D games unlike the snapdragon.

Cannot wait to get this one.

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
No, I'm glad I got the Evo, I'm sure the Epic will be epic but I'll keep my Evo because it fits my needs just fine besides it can't be all that epic without a flash! There's always going to be something better around the corner but I have to live for today and not tomorrow. I don't need a gaming phone or physical keyboard been there done that with the Pre...loving my Evo and the kickstand.

Last edited:

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
well, I still have my hero, but
With each of the new devices, there are great things for me, and bad things
Evo:
Sense UI, so easy transition
its rooted
bigger screen

Bad:
screen resolution (i didn't notice it being bad, but i only played with the demo for like 5 minutes)
No 4G in my area
moderate battery life with root/rom, not typical out the door
Snapdragon isn't the peak anymore

Epic:
Good:
physical keyboard is in the right location with only a slightly thicker form factor
Processor/GPU are awesome

Bad:
Its a Samsung, so battery life is likely poor, but won't know until closer to release
TouchWiz seems gimmicky

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I am so glad I did not use my upgrade on the EVO. I tried it for a bit and couldn't get over the lack of color depth due to the 16bit screen and I prefer a physical keypad. Now here comes the Epic to answer all my problems. 24bit screen with beautiful colors, plays xvids, divx, mkv, wmv, avi, flv and sports a GPU that can play 3D games unlike the snapdragon.

Cannot wait to get this one.

Of course better phones will be released. I would have preferred to stick with my Palm Pre than to get the EVo though. My mp3 player fro 2005 had an 18bit screen. EVO 4G in 2010 sports a 16bit screen that only displays 65K colors. WHen it comes to multimedia that just fails. Even my Palm Pre can do 24bit 16.7 million colors.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Of course better phones will be released. I would have preferred to stick with my Palm Pre than to get the EVo though. My mp3 player fro 2005 had an 18bit screen. EVO 4G in 2010 sports a 16bit screen that only displays 65K colors. WHen it comes to multimedia that just fails. Even my Palm Pre can do 24bit 16.7 million colors.

Everything I have read about the Evo's screen say it looks amazing. Assuming this is true, which I haven't heard before now, it seems like a moot point because no one seems to notice or care.

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
People do notice. Most android phones come with low color screens and the OS itself is limited to 16bit. It can only display true colors in photos and videos. Even the Hero is 18bit and the Motorola Droid and X are 24bit. I have seen many threads about it but some people will just overlook it. The screen is far from amazing especially if you can tell the difference.

Evo's Lack of color depth next to Nexus becoming a dealbreaker - xda-developers

smartpatrol

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
My eligible upgrade date is July 1st. I was planning on getting the EVO, but now I think I will hold out for the Epic. I think there's a good chance the Epic will be superior:
- better screen
- better GPU
- physical keyboard, yet its only 1.5mm thicker than the EVO

I don't mind hanging on to my Pre for a couple more months for that.

Okkoto86

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I got the Evo, but returned it because I just couldn't get used the touch typing like id hoped. Plus the performance really just wasn't there considering the Snapgradon. Im looking forward to see how the Epic will turn out, but I wont jump blindly into this one like the Evo. Im also hoping Palm announces something after July 1st.

One thing I will say about the screen, I owned it for almost a month and am a Photographer/Graphic Designer, the talk about 16/18/24 bit color is BS. There is nothing wrong with the color of the screen. The screen has other problems, like average contrast and odd banding issues, but color isnt one of them. I guarantee you if HTC said it was 24bit it could look exactly like it does now and no one would have said a thing.

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
that is totally false. Banding and other issues are caused by the color depth. The lack of detail in dark areas are caused by the color depth. I have the palm pre which has a beautiful screen which displays 24bit and the difference is very noticeable. The colors on EVO look washed out and is not vibrant.

sel1965

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
that is totally false. Banding and other issues are caused by the color depth. The lack of detail in dark areas are caused by the color depth. I have the palm pre which has a beautiful screen which displays 24bit and the difference is very noticeable. The colors on EVO look washed out and is not vibrant.

When you type all I see is Bla, Bla, Bla. Funny huh. I bet it would be the same if you were talking.

imekul

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
My Evo passed away yesterday during the second OTA update. Since I couldn't get it replaced with a new one due to the limited supply, I simply returned it for cash. I may give the Epic a chance, since I can't get the Evo again for a while anyway.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
cool, may be a way to get to try out both... supposedly there is a Samsung phone releasing for Sprint early next month, hopefully for your sake, its the Epic.

JERAVICIOUS

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I guarantee you if HTC said it was 24bit it could look exactly like it does now and no one would have said a thing.

I totally agree. I work with graphics and film as well, so being detailed oriented about image and colors is key. I do not regret having the EVO. I feel it's a perfect fit for what I need it to do. The screen is beautiful, having swype helps for the lack of keyboard, and under sun light I can still view it.

I've had experiences with many Samsung products, whether it'd be a phone or othe electronics. My concern with Samsung are their update issues seem to be non existent and i do not like their touch wiz UI. That's just me though. I don't doubt that the Epic will be great, I was impressed with their demo. I'm more happy that Sprint is cranking out another 4g phone and giving people options and this shows that they want a solid user base using their WiMax technologies.

My only request for future devices is that the resolution needs to be bumped up to compliment the screen size.

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
You guys must be color blind. One look at the EVO screen and I knew it was 16 bit just by how dull pictures and videos looked. Look at the engadget preview of the Epic. Look how great the color is on it and best thing is that it has a keyboard. Using my upgrade on this phone and cannot wait.

sel1965

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I totally agree. I work with graphics and film as well, so being detailed oriented about image and colors is key. I do not regret having the EVO. I feel it's a perfect fit for what I need it to do. The screen is beautiful, having swype helps for the lack of keyboard, and under sun light I can still view it.

I've had experiences with many Samsung products, whether it'd be a phone or othe electronics. My concern with Samsung are their update issues seem to be non existent and i do not like their touch wiz UI. That's just me though. I don't doubt that the Epic will be great, I was impressed with their demo. I'm more happy that Sprint is cranking out another 4g phone and giving people options and this shows that they want a solid user base using their WiMax technologies.

My only request for future devices is that the resolution needs to be bumped up to compliment the screen size.

I agree as well. I also had the pre it all looks the same to me. I think the screen is big and beautiful on the EVO.

strohmeier#AC

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
My eligible upgrade date is July 1st. I was planning on getting the EVO, but now I think I will hold out for the Epic. I think there's a good chance the Epic will be superior:
- better screen
- better GPU
- physical keyboard, yet its only 1.5mm thicker than the EVO

I don't mind hanging on to my Pre for a couple more months for that.
I have a Pre, an upgrade date of july 1st, and just made the same decision.
I like the way you think!