are you glad you didn't get the EVO?

tscharf

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
i also have an upgrade available July 1st, but I think I'm still going to try the EVO.

The Epic doesn't appeal to me for a few reasons:
1. although the GPU is nice, i don't play games on my phone and don't plan to, so this is not important to me
2. I've been a blackberry user for 6 years, so any other keyboard feels crappy to me. I'd rather just adjust to TS.
3. Phones with slide-out keyboards just feel junky to me (ie. Palm Pre). Plus, I just don't like messing with sliding out a keyboard to type. just my personal preference.
4. Three people close to me have had bad experiences with their Samsung touch-screens failing within a year. I'm not saying that this will be a problem with the Epic, but it makes it less appealing to me.
5. HTC seems to have a better reputation when it comes to making Android phones.

These are all just opinions obviously. just thought I'd share.

smartpatrol

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Yep. And even if you didn't, the FPS issue is why the games run slower because of the 30 fps limit which has been resolved.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Supposedly Hummingbird's GPU is 3-4x as powerful as Snapdragon's. If that's the case, then the Galaxy S/Epic will certainly outperform EVO when it comes to 3D gaming by a significant margin.

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
i also have an upgrade available July 1st, but I think I'm still going to try the EVO.

1. although the GPU is nice, i don't play games on my phone and don't plan to, so this is not important to me
2. I've been a blackberry user for 6 years, so any other keyboard feels crappy to me. I'd rather just adjust to TS.
3. Phones with slide-out keyboards just feel junky to me (ie. Palm Pre). Plus, I just don't like messing with sliding out a keyboard to type. just my personal preference.
4. Three people close to me have had bad experiences with their Samsung touch-screens failing within a year. I'm not saying that this will be a problem with the Epic, but it makes it less appealing to me.
5. HTC seems to have a better reputation when it comes to making Android phones.

You know it has an onscreen too right and it's thinner than a Palm Pre and only 0.06" more than the EVO. It's your choice though. The screen alone blows the EVO away.

Okkoto86

May 7, 2010
Visit site
You guys must be color blind. One look at the EVO screen and I knew it was 16 bit just by how dull pictures and videos looked. Look at the engadget preview of the Epic. Look how great the color is on it and best thing is that it has a keyboard. Using my upgrade on this phone and cannot wait.

Well now we know your insane, and have an odd vendetta against the evo for some reason. Those jpegs on engadget your referring too? Guess what, they're 8bit. Or if your referring to the flash video, the color depth is even lower than that. Its impossible for you to see 24bit color taken with a digital camera and posted online.

You keep referring to "dull" and "vibrant" screens. I think your confusing color depth with color saturation. It is perfectly possible for a 24bit anything to look dull, 24bit simply means there is more data. Its also possible for something with 256 colors to really pop. What your seeing is the extra saturation boost of the AMOLED. If you like that then thats fine, but dont blame the color depth.

JERAVICIOUS

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm happy with my Evo. I like what the Epic can do, but I don't think I'm gonna return my Evo for an Epic. For those who are waiting I'd like to hear your experience with it, especially with the front camera and video chat via fring and qik

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I have read some articles on the device and it definitely seems cool, but I don't think that it is better than the EVO. I have seen some videos showing off the processor and it seems very snappy, but so does the EVO. I am not really impressed with the UI of touch wiz. Actually, I think that I would prefer the stock Android over that. The device is going to be amazing, but the EVO is a work of. Maybe I'm just biased.

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I am Glad I waited. With the (soon to be released) release of the epic, it gives me a choice. I've never been a fan of touch screen only devices. The screen on the EVO is large, but doesn't seem to "pop". looks overly dull. The screen of the Epic really seems stunning.

Mike20PR

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Im glad i returned the evo two days ago. I was gonna bite the apple and get me an iphone 4 but the whole antenna issue blowing up and at&t's data plans, i did not decide to go through with it. Plus i could not commit an upgrade with the evo.... the 30fps issue really got to me. it was very fast but not at all smooth as id like, even the htc aria thus slower was tons smoother in scrolling and gestures than the evo which was the last straw, the lack of gpu also got to me when i tried to play high end games since i was spoiled by them from my palm pre days, and sorry to say but the screen is noticibly washed out compared to the pre even if people are trying to deny it. The eye doesnt lie and 65k vs 16 million aint a small margin so im exited for that super amoled. Im waiting for the epic since it looks to be the most future proof when it comes to hardware, awesome screen, best cpu/gpu available, best looking keyboard since the touch pro 2 as well as keeping 4G and that front camera whoohoo

I love the evo but it wasnt for me long term, but i dont blame anyone for choosing it over the epic, good luck to all

cheers

ConceptVBS

May 25, 2010
Visit site

GPU is not just for 3D gaming, its also for rendering the menu screens, watching movies, you tube videos and loading webpages.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
When what you're looking at half the time is the too many cards dialog, who the hell cares what the color depth is :)

ZING!!!!
doesn't that sting?

Actually, they have fixed it with kernels of their own with compcache built in. But stuff should work as advertised right out the door.

alan7467

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad to see more choices on Sprint, though i still may jump to Verizon for the Droid x.

In regard to the EVO screen, the fact of the matter is that htc used a cheap screen in the device. Want evidence? Try looking at it at even a slight angle. Gets pretty washed out doesn't it? I'm unsure of what type of screen tech they used, but it most certainly is not IPS like the iphone 4 or Hero.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I know you gus now get to wait two months, but is trashing the Evo making you feel better somehow? Even if you have to rationalize and make stuff up? Have a nice wait.

smartpatrol

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I know you gus now get to wait two months, but is trashing the Evo making you feel better somehow? Even if you have to rationalize and make stuff up? Have a nice wait.

Jesus. Don't get all butthurt just because some people are deciding to wait for Epic, rather than buying the phone you bought.

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm ready to ditch my SERO + Treo 800W.. The instant gratification guy in my wants to get the EVO right now and start enjoying it.. However, the more I look, the better the Epic looks. The points I'm consider are:

1) EVO's Sense UI is hugely superior to the Samsung TouchWiz (What the hell is that crap!?)
2) EVO lacks a slider, which I feel might be better for long term durability.

Those are the only benefits I can see on the EVO side. On the Epic's side:

1) Epic hopefully will have better camera. The galaxy S review seems to indicate camera that's better than EVO.
2) Everything I've heard indicate the Samsum AMOLED is one of the best screens out there. I would think it's an improvement over the EVO LCD?
3) Epic 4G is weighs less (I believe?)
4) Epic 4G has better 3D performance.. but I don't anticipate to play that much games on it.. I just want the GPU to help smoother panning of images and scrolling within the UI.

Any idea what price range the Epic 4G will be in?

dondadah88

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
My concern is the community support for the epic. That will be my choice. Its like the hero vs the moment which one had more support. As much as I know the hero (I have) got 2/2 and we are waiting for the camera to get working and some small fixes. We also have asop 2.1 which I believe the moment has no where near the sane support. The moment is better then the hero with the fast CPU and keyboard but everyone still went after the hero.