1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can I use my old SD card with a new phone?

Sprint just sent me a new Epic due to problem with my current phone (which is rooted and running CleanGB).

I actually want to roll with the new phone in stock condition for a bit, just to see how the other half lives and to see if GPS is more stable.

What would happen if I popped my old SD card into the new phone? My primary question is text messages. Will the new phone see my SMS threads and just pick up where my old phone left off? If not, is there someway to get the new phone to recognize the SMS threads so that I'm not starting from scratch?

And what about apps? There are a bunch of apps installed to the card that aren't on the new phone. Will the phone ignore these apps or will it install the apps if it sees them on the SD card?

Any other issues I should know about? Or is this a bad idea with disaster written all over it?

TIA

Default Re: Can I use my old SD card with a new phone?

Lets start from the top here since you're asking several questions in one shot.

Stock is OK, won't knock you for it. GPS never gave me problems even on stock, but you mileage may vary.

If you pop your old SD card into your new phone, than everything on that SD card will be available. No issues there. What you MAY run across is if you install a program and move it to the SD card, if it was a program you had done the same with on the old phone, will come up saying it can't move it. Just hit the move to SD again, and it'll go. Annoying, but not harmful.

The new phone won't see your SMS from the old one unless you made a backup of them, and restore them. OR if your using Google voice and its app for sms, than everything will be there. Basically your starting from scratch unless you had made a backup.

The apps that are installed on the SD card, are just PARTS of the app. You'll need to reinstall them, and you'll need to hit the move to SD twice.

Not much else as far as issues. I moved my SD card from a blackberry to the Epic 4g, than copied all the contents to a larger SD card, moved that into a replacement Epic, than copied all the contents to my Nexus, simply because I can't just put the card in...
    Sprint Galaxy Nexus [stock for now]
    BB 8130, iPhone 4 8g, iPhone 3g 16gb, Toshiba e800, Palm Tungsten T
    [retired]Epic 4g, BB8330, BB 9670, Samsung Intercept, Katana DLX, Sanyo 8400, HTC Wizard, MPX220, and many others...
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I'm jealous. This will be my 4th Epic. Each replaced by Sprint for different reasons.

Ever since Gingerbread GPS has been a hopeless mess for me. Even with CleanGB and the GPS Fix, it has been a disaster.

Just to clarify, all the app related stuff on my old SD card will basically be ignored by the new phone until I try to install those same apps on the SD card. When I do that, will the app data from the old phone be available or will I be starting from scratch?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post
    I'm jealous. This will be my 4th Epic. Each replaced by Sprint for different reasons.

Ever since Gingerbread GPS has been a hopeless mess for me. Even with CleanGB and the GPS Fix, it has been a disaster.

Just to clarify, all the app related stuff on my old SD card will basically be ignored by the new phone until I try to install those same apps on the SD card. When I do that, will the app data from the old phone be available or will I be starting from scratch?

Thanks.
    Unless you made some sort of backup, you're starting from scratch my friend.
    The part of the app that is on the SD card, is just resources like sounds, images, etc that are not required for the actual launching of the app. The stored data (game saves, configuration settings) is still in the /data partition that you can't see unless you have root access. One of the greatest arguments of rooting, is the ability to do full backups (titanium or even the 100% Nandroid backups).
    Sprint Galaxy Nexus [stock for now]
    BB 8130, iPhone 4 8g, iPhone 3g 16gb, Toshiba e800, Palm Tungsten T
    [retired]Epic 4g, BB8330, BB 9670, Samsung Intercept, Katana DLX, Sanyo 8400, HTC Wizard, MPX220, and many others...
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

So essentially the only thing that will be used by the new phone are pictures and contacts if they are stored on the SD card.

What about voicemail? Will the voicemail app be able to see my voicemail?