1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android System Battery Use

The Android System is using up a significant amount of the battery. I bought an extended use battery and thought that I would rarely have to use it, but I can't get through a day without having to switch batteries.

The average battery time I am getting lately is 4.5 to 5 hours. The Android system is using about 70% of the battery. Some days, the only application I use is Pandora. I keep the screen off and have disabled background data to save the battery, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

I talked to a Sprint rep at a store about the battery use, and their suggestion was to reset the phone because they thought something must be wrong with the phone for the Android system to be using that much of the battery. They also said that trying to figure out what part of the Android system was using the battery was difficult to figure out.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    CM09/2.6.35.7

Default Re: Android System Battery Use

Do you check the running apps with Task Killer? Also, is your phone rooted?

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Doo View Post
    Do you check the running apps with Task Killer? Also, is your phone rooted?
    Task killers... Don't make me laugh.

Use betterbatterystats to find what's keeping your system awake, correct the issue accordingly, then remove betterbatterystats. It can be found on the Play Store as well as XDA Forums. XDA Members get the app free.

Sent from my Stock AOSP Android 4.1.1 Galaxy Nexus

ROM
    CM09/2.6.35.7

That's nice to know. I don't have any issues with my battery but I'm sure there are many who do.

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

I also have been having this problem. I even lose 5% an hour on airplane mode. And it does looks like the system is being kept awake by something.

Batter battery stats is a paid program. Is there something else?

I am running Cynagenmod 9 beta3. I am thinking about upgrading to the new stable version, but it is too much work if I am not sure it will help much...

Quote Originally Posted by wemetzger View Post
    I also have been having this problem. I even lose 5% an hour on airplane mode. And it does looks like the system is being kept awake by something.

Batter battery stats is a paid program. Is there something else?

I am running Cynagenmod 9 beta3. I am thinking about upgrading to the new stable version, but it is too much work if I am not sure it will help much...
    XDA members get it free. Go over to xda-developers.com and look in android development/apps. Find or search for the thread and in the opening post will be a free download link for XDA members.

Sent from my Stock AOSP Android 4.1.1 Galaxy Nexus.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I've looked into the battery use issue a bit more, and what I found was that applications that were not being used were running in the background. For example, TeleNav (formerly Spring Navigation) is an application which I rarely use. I've used it a few times when Google Maps kept stating 'GPS signal lost' -- I wanted to see if TeleNav would report the same problem. TeleNav is running in the background and everytime I attempt to stop it, it starts right back up again. Google Maps is also running in the background. If I don't have the GPS on and I don't have Google Maps open, why does it need to run in the background??? At least with Google Maps, it seems that I can stop the process from running.

These are just a couple of the overall apps/processes that are running in the background. The maximum amount of time I can get now on one charge is 4.5hrs -- I can extend that with a portable charger and get a few more hours. Even the extended use battery that I purchased from Android Central is running down in 4.5 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by cb2367 View Post
    I've looked into the battery use issue a bit more, and what I found was that applications that were not being used were running in the background. For example, TeleNav (formerly Spring Navigation) is an application which I rarely use. I've used it a few times when Google Maps kept stating 'GPS signal lost' -- I wanted to see if TeleNav would report the same problem. TeleNav is running in the background and everytime I attempt to stop it, it starts right back up again. Google Maps is also running in the background. If I don't have the GPS on and I don't have Google Maps open, why does it need to run in the background??? At least with Google Maps, it seems that I can stop the process from running.

These are just a couple of the overall apps/processes that are running in the background. The maximum amount of time I can get now on one charge is 4.5hrs -- I can extend that with a portable charger and get a few more hours. Even the extended use battery that I purchased from Android Central is running down in 4.5 hours.
    Those apps are not running, they are cached, and there is a big difference. Get betterbatterystats, look at your partial wakelocks and kernel wakelocks, and there's your battery culprits.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Google Maps does have a service, NetworkLocationService, that starts up when Maps runs and doesn't shut down when Maps is closed. Even disabling the cell and WiFi network location services didn't get rid of it. It was sucking a lot of power for nothing (except perhaps to keep Google updated on my whereabouts for traffic reporting, etc.). So, I fixed it by disabling the NetworkLocationService since I only need GPS for location data when using Maps (disabling apps/services requires Ice Cream Sandwich or newer, or if you're rooted you can freeze it with Titanium Backup).

My power consumption went from 4-5% per hour when idle to 1-1.5% per hour.

ROM
    Stock/Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by bitseeker View Post
    Google Maps does have a service, NetworkLocationService, that starts up when Maps runs and doesn't shut down when Maps is closed. Even disabling the cell and WiFi network location services didn't get rid of it. It was sucking a lot of power for nothing (except perhaps to keep Google updated on my whereabouts for traffic reporting, etc.). So, I fixed it by disabling the NetworkLocationService since I only need GPS for location data when using Maps (disabling apps/services requires Ice Cream Sandwich or newer, or if you're rooted you can freeze it with Titanium Backup).

My power consumption went from 4-5% per hour when idle to 1-1.5% per hour.
    Then go to gmaps and sign out of Lattitude

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rando991 View Post
    Then go to gmaps and sign out of Lattitude
    Never logged into Latitude. Didn't even accept the TOS to enable it. I checked several times to be sure it didn't enable itself for some reason. It's disabled, but the service would run anyway. Weird, eh?