Removing a contact's birthday on calendar--is this impossible?

lcchick

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a contact whose birthday I'm trying to delete from my phone's calendar and it is so stubborn (much like the contact himself) that it won't leave my calendar.
One thing I noticed, I had the contact set to a number and not a name, but on my calendar it has the name of the person instead of the # that I use as his contact "name". Another thing I noticed before I deleted the contact is that it had a google attachment to his account through gmail--not exactly sure how this happened or if it was something I actively did or if it is just a gmail thing like it sees this person's gmail address and just automatically links it to the other gmail account.
Here's what I've tried so far:
--go thru both gmail accounts and delete this contact
--delete contact from phone contacts list
--reboot phone
--check settings and sync, it is set to sync both calendars and contacts on both gmail accounts. Both sets of calendars and contacts synced when the phone was rebooted
--export contacts in gmail, then delete all from gmail account. Import contacts back to gmail.

I have googled for a while and found nothing that was helpful here. Has anyone had this problem before or does anyone have a solution? I am pretty sure that the calendar is getting this contact from my gmail account--I don't use facebook & I don't have my LinkedIN contacts set to sync.
Thanks, Lisa

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering if the birthday is being input by another "aware" application. Facebook keeps track of things like that. I would try to turn off FB sync, and try to remove the birthday again and see if it stays away.

Robbie Doo

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Just unsync it and remove the birthdays from the gmail contact list online, save and resync. Make sure it doesn't pull their birthdays from Facebook like rattsdam suggested.

lcchick

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I"m thinking that this must be pulling from some other application, b/c I went so far as to delete the whole contact and the birthday is still there. I know it's not Facebook b/c I don't have a FB account (LOL, I even deleted that stupid F app after I rooted). I'm going to hunt around the apps and stuff some more :( thanks anyway!

lcchick

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I Got it deleted. What I did was:
Go into calendar then settings. Then choose calendar then settings and uncheck the 'contacts bdays'. It says that its listed on my gmail account but i deleted this contact from my gmail account so i'm not really sure what it did but its gone now!

josuebre

Mar 30, 2017
Visit site
Just unsync it and remove the birthdays from the gmail contact list online, save and resync. Make sure it doesn't pull their birthdays from Facebook like rattsdam suggested.

++++++++++SOLVED++++++++

Hi! I recently came across this issue as well. Please go to the calendar settings for Birthdays under 'My calendars' and select which birthdays you want to show...
My options were 'Google+ circles and contacts' and 'Contacts only'... the Google+ option was selected.

Once I deselected this option everything went to normal... just showing the birthdays for the people I have in my contact list.

Regards
josuebre

sga999

May 12, 2012
Visit site
++++++++++SOLVED++++++++

Hi! I recently came across this issue as well. Please go to the calendar settings for Birthdays under 'My calendars' and select which birthdays you want to show...
My options were 'Google+ circles and contacts' and 'Contacts only'... the Google+ option was selected.

Once I deselected this option everything went to normal... just showing the birthdays for the people I have in my contact list.

Regards
josuebre

Oh my, thank you! I have lived with this problem for a long time. I have several Android devices, but it only showed up on one, so that didn't make sense to me. You gave me the hint to get me started. It wasn't quite right yet... the invalid entries still were there. But I was able to delete those entries in the calendar after deselecting the Google+ option.

Again, many thanks!