Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
You should make a movie converting guide optimized for epic using free programs. It will help us all out :) I hope you are getting an EPIC.

here is one with handbrake: How to convert videos and transfer them to the HTC EVO 4G - Know Your Cell

I prefer ripbot264 but that is pretty decent guide with HB. I would add to that guide boosting volume and queing up 4 to 7 jobs overnight depending on your pc processor.

As far as getting the original source material onto the pc for conversion, beyond the usual places, ripping your own from say your dvds involves an up to date ripping program. some free ones exist but I recommend dropping a few bucks on anydvd.

Last edited:

jimmyz

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I might be out of line but isn't one of the great advantages of the epic is that it will play almost every video codec so that unlike the EVO transcoding all of your files is not needed?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
no, you're not. If you're an .avi person, this phone is great, no overnight encoding, more like 30minutes-2 hours of downloading... just saying;)

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
not out of line, but avis will be huge and wasteful for the same exact resolution and performance compared to other formats. Converting any format to avi would be a big mistake. If you "acquired" it already in avi and are not going to keep it long on your handset than the room it may take on you sd card for the few days may certainly be worth less than y your five minutes to set it up for recode overnight so you get the same thing with 1/4 the size.

So it is a personal mix of utility. Lets say I have 1500 movies on my WHS, with 1000 being standard format uncompressed dvd film only rips in iso and 500 720p bd compressed h264 mkvs. Lets say I personally felt that it wasn't unethical to watch rental dvds on my phone (and I don't have or advocate any view on that), then having a couple of presets to recode to the most efficient standards is highly desirable. and avi is not one of them.

baltimoreevo

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
by the time this damn phone comes out it will probably have avatar 2 preloaded

That made me lol. I got so tired of waiting I went out and got a Vibrant. While I love the Vibrant I am going to return it this week before the 14 days is up. TMO's service just isn't that good where I live and I really want to stay with sprint. I already own an evo, but I can write the epic off as a business expense. Also when I'm out of town, my girl can have one of the phones for face to face video calls. I got excited when I heard the phone was coming out on the 11th, because that's also the day that I have to return the vibrant by. But now with no official announcement, it looks like I will just have to wait.

jimmyz

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I am hoping that with this cable that I can use the epic as a portable media player- my only question is whether I will be able to play a 720p movie on the epic screen?

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I second this. I want to know what the optimal converting settings are for the Galaxy S 4G
when I get one I will make a good posting. I am able to get one after Sept 1 due to changes in my contract. My best guess at the moment is that mp4 container wih video in h264 at bitrate range of 1500 and audio in stereo aac bitrate range 160 will be optimal. But epics processor and gpu may be able to allow slightly higher bitrates with no stutter so I need to check it on an actual device.

I don't know all converters out there, but for protected physical dvd/bd content I would start with anydvd to bring it to your pc, and then ripbot264 or handbrake. Either ripbot or handbrake will allow you to make presets, and also allow you to cue up a bunch of jobs to so that user time is very little and you set to run overnight and have your finished product in the morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22