Evo 4g temporarily, then Epic on Aug 20?

Mook1e

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I want to switch carriers and phones right now, but I want the Epic for sure. Can I get the Evo now and then return it on the 20th (since this is the most likely date based on Gizmodo's educated guessing Sprint Epic 4G Could Hit Around August 20) of August for the Epic.
My current phone is really on it's last legs (HTC 8525 on AT&T) and my wife's Epix is also dieing (touchscreen doesn't work).
Is this possible w/ the 30 day return policy?

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Uhh, I don't see why not? You can return it at any time for a full refund within 30 days. I did the same thing except I'm still waiting for the Epic.

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
You cannot return the phone for another phone for a full refund. You will have to pay a restocking fee. For a full refund you will have to cancel the contract and return everything. Not sure how that will work for you to then reopen a new account. Is it really hard to just wait?

Mook1e

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
My current phone is dieing more each day. hard-keyboard doesn't work right, and i hate at&t.
I'm willing to pay the $35

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
You cannot return the phone for another phone for a full refund. You will have to pay a restocking fee. For a full refund you will have to cancel the contract and return everything. Not sure how that will work for you to then reopen a new account. Is it really hard to just wait?

I cancelled my contract within 30 days. I received a full refund, but I'll be on another contract soon. Are you talking about returning a phone and replacing a phone on that line with another phone? In that case, there will be some issues.

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I want to switch carriers and phones right now, but I want the Epic for sure. Can I get the Evo now and then return it on the 20th (since this is the most likely date based on Gizmodo's educated guessing Sprint Epic 4G Could Hit Around August 20) of August for the Epic.
My current phone is really on it's last legs (HTC 8525 on AT&T) and my wife's Epix is also dieing (touchscreen doesn't work).
Is this possible w/ the 30 day return policy?

If you want to go this route, I would recommend one of the third-party retailers like RadioShack. The salesmen there are motivated by commissions but aren't as hampered by Sprint's corporate rules. They know how far they can bend the rules to make it work, and because of the commissions, they will always do whatever it takes to make the sale.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
If you want to go this route, I would recommend one of the third-party retailers like RadioShack. The salesmen there are motivated by commissions but aren't as hampered by Sprint's corporate rules. They know how far they can bend the rules to make it work, and because of the commissions, they will always do whatever it takes to make the sale.

Yes, you're right. The worst would be a restocking fee, but RadioShack would be a good place to go if you're a good negotiator.

Mook1e

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so the worst case is a restocking fee, while the best case is fenagling (sp) a free swap from radioshack (if they have them?)
Is this correct?
That's pretty much all I want to know.

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Worst case would be the Epic gets delayed/sold-out and you have to sit in the middle of some no-man's land without a phone because you returned your Evo but have to wait for the Epic. And I'm not sure what all the repercussions would be from this...

Mook1e

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, if I get the Evo today or tomorrow, I could keep it through August (just about) and the Epic *should* be available by then, yes?

Mook1e

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I know, my question is pretty much loaded!
I just wanted to make sure the worst thing would be the restocking fee, and not having to resign a contract or be stuck without a trade-in path.
I also know someone who just got a simple phone on sprint who wants to turn it in for an evo or epic.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I know, my question is pretty much loaded!
I just wanted to make sure the worst thing would be the restocking fee, and not having to resign a contract or be stuck without a trade-in path.
I also know someone who just got a simple phone on sprint who wants to turn it in for an evo or epic.

Return the phone, keep the contract running, and just slap another phone on there and you're good. All you had to do was pay 35 bucks for a restocking fee. ;)

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Someone needs to teach you some patience instead of trying to scam the system.

Wow, he's not trying to scam the system. He wants to switch to Sprint. That means at least $140 a month to Sprint.
He's also willing to pay $35 per phone for the restocking fee. That's the point of the restocking fee.
Sprint gets what they want and so does the OP. It's a win/win for the consumer and the business. A perfect transaction!

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Yep buying an item with the intention of returning it is win win for everyone. Evo also seems to be scarce and that returned phone has to be reconditioned as a refurbished phone. You know they are not guaranteed to give another phone discount even after paying the restocking fee since there is nothing wrong with the phone. The Epic 4G is coming in just 4 weeks at least so I find all this to be a total waste of time. If you want to switch so bad just pick up a cheap phone somewhere.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38