Aug 11th "Official" Release Date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm hearing from multiple sources:

Aug 1, 199.99 after MIR, and 2 year agreement.

So... about $450 no contract? I may buy it outright, deactivate it, and play with it just on wifi for a bit, to see if its worth the $10/month without 4G service in my area. It probably will, but I want to check first.

frankos72

Jun 20, 2010
www.pigstands.com
I'm hearing from multiple sources:

Aug 1, 199.99 after MIR, and 2 year agreement.

That's a very believable date. Being it's a Sunday.... and they need to give that other Android phone it's own space to grow.

The guy at Sam's Club said, "Well we will get our a bit later cause we always do so I'm guessing sometime in August."

Does that mean he knows the official Sprint date?

Also, with all the other Galaxy S phones launching this month it only makes sense, IMO, that this one won't be far behind.

crow11ad

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
That's a very believable date. Being it's a Sunday.... and they need to give that other Android phone it's own space to grow.

The guy at Sam's Club said, "Well we will get our a bit later cause we always do so I'm guessing sometime in August."

Does that mean he knows the official Sprint date?

Also, with all the other Galaxy S phones launching this month it only makes sense, IMO, that this one won't be far behind.

Gotta save the best galaxy s phone for last.

JERAVICIOUS

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I think Aug or fall time would be a reasonable launch date. Not because the EVO came out, but also Samsung is releasing their intercept tomorrow. So I'm sure they want some people hopping on that device too. I don't think they would release their epic and intercept at the same time, that would cause confusion to the causal customer.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I think Aug or fall time would be a reasonable launch date. Not because the EVO came out, but also Samsung is releasing their intercept tomorrow. So I'm sure they want some people hopping on that device too. I don't think they would release their epic and intercept at the same time, that would cause confusion to the causal customer.

Nah, they don't really look alike. When you see the 3.2" TFT LCD screen next to the 4" AMOLED, the choice would be clear... right up until they mention the $10 premium a month.

scheets973

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I think they are going after two markets. The intercept is a mid-low android device. The epic is the top of the line premium device; therefore the release date should not be based around the intercepts release.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the Epic is definitely a feature phone, whereas I don't believe ATT/VZW's Samsung S' plan to be. For instance, if you go to VZW and look around for the Fascinate, you find nothing. However, the Droid X is plastered right there on the home screen saying: The Droid X is coming!
ATT is a little better with at least having the Captivate on the home screen, but thats taken away with the iPhone 4 add right above it.
Sprint has its own dedicated page for the Epic. If you look for the Intercept, a non-feature phone, you don't get anything. All you get is 1 angry customer talking about how crappy its battery life is, so in essence, its exactly the same as the Moment.
This phone is different on Sprint than it is on any other Carrier. T-Mo is the closest I would say to having it as a feature phone for them. Releasing it first, having essentially the most like original model, having movies pre-loaded onto it (like the HD2). The problem with T-Mo is that they make every phone feel like a feature phone. It just doesn't seem to pop-out to them.

sweat

May 28, 2010
Visit site
A rep at the Sprint store told me yesterday that the phone will be released "early next month."

How good is her info? Who knows?

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing it might be announced in this week's playbook if the release date is indeed August 8th. Not only will we be able to see the next week in the calendar (a week after the last week in this playbook), but the Captivate is also launching next Sunday, so it might pressure Sprint to announce a release date. Just my take.

Darth Pooh#CB

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
If you believe these playbooks that are published are the gospel (e.g. look at the calendar on the last set of pages), then I guess no August 1st, how about August 8th.

Exclusive: Sprint Playbook External Dealer

I'm guessing it might be announced in this week's playbook if the release date is indeed August 8th. Not only will we be able to see the next week in the calendar (a week after the last week in this playbook), but the Captivate is also launching next Sunday, so it might pressure Sprint to announce a release date. Just my take.

All high end devices in Sprint's past have not been included in playbook publishings but rather as their own separate PDF / web link within their intranet that explains how stores are supposed to handle the device and release details. This has been the case for the Pre and Evo. I am not saying my sources are right nor wrong, everyone likes to speculate and I wanted to share what is a possible date.

That being said, just because the current playbook doesn't have the Epic listed as being released then, doesn't prove or discount anything at this point.

Allow silly season to continue as previously scheduled.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
All high end devices in Sprint's past have not been included in playbook publishings but rather as their own separate PDF / web link within their intranet that explains how stores are supposed to handle the device and release details. This has been the case for the Pre and Evo. I am not saying my sources are right nor wrong, everyone likes to speculate and I wanted to share what is a possible date.

That being said, just because the current playbook doesn't have the Epic listed as being released then, doesn't prove or discount anything at this point.

Allow silly season to continue as previously scheduled.

Oh really? I did not know that! That means that we can still have some hope for an August 1st release. However, I just received an email from a Sprint Rep, who declined to even tell me that the device will be released soon, so I will have to rely on the sources posted here. I'm hoping for the best though.

Status
Not open for further replies.