Why is android worth the switch?

brendu

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Hey so im a Pre user on Sprint. I love WebOS and despite the shortcomings of the hardware on the Pre I still love its design. I am however noticing that Android is gaining marketshare exponentially by the month and there has to be a reason for that. Also I am worried that it could take Palm awhile to get their next handset out. I love the homebrew scene for webos and how easy it is to install patches that make webos much nicer and faster.

What im wondering is, what other than voice commands is great about android? I have used an EVO a little bit and im just not that into it, it does not feel as simple or refined as webos (not saying it isnt, just that I dont see it)... what can you guys tell me that could help me when considering switching to the epic.. I am pretty sure I will stay with my Pre until Palm comes out with something else, but I need to know what android has got goin on... also I'm not into the EVO partially because I prefer having a physical keyboard which is why the epic intices me...

Finally I havent heard all that many good things about samsung hardware.. can anyone comment on that too??

tricex2

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Hey so im a Pre user on Sprint. I love WebOS and despite the shortcomings of the hardware on the Pre I still love its design. I am however noticing that Android is gaining marketshare exponentially by the month and there has to be a reason for that. Also I am worried that it could take Palm awhile to get their next handset out. I love the homebrew scene for webos and how easy it is to install patches that make webos much nicer and faster.

What im wondering is, what other than voice commands is great about android? I have used an EVO a little bit and im just not that into it, it does not feel as simple or refined as webos (not saying it isnt, just that I dont see it)... what can you guys tell me that could help me when considering switching to the epic.. I am pretty sure I will stay with my Pre until Palm comes out with something else, but I need to know what android has got goin on... also I'm not into the EVO partially because I prefer having a physical keyboard which is why the epic intices me...

Finally I havent heard all that many good things about samsung hardware.. can anyone comment on that too??[/QUOTE

I love my Pre also and homebrew but the highlighted reasons is why I have reserved an Epic. I just can't wait that long Hopefully HPalm won't come out with a new handset until my next upgrade time ;). They are rumored to release a tablet with webos goodness in the first quarter of 2011 so I'll most likely pick that up too and have the for "NOW" best of both worlds!!!

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Hype is why it is so big so fast. I would also say that maybe you should play with an epic and see if you would like it. If you do then get one. If it doesn't work for you then just stick with the pre.

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
i have a pre right now, and the thing that is making me want to upgrade isnt android necessarily, but moreso the hardware. playing with the evo/galaxy s, things just happen NOW. unlike the pre.

also, there are some sweet apps you can get on the android that you cant for webos- and i think more developers are developing for android and abandoning webos.

those are my reasons for going to the epic. webos would be perfect if a) better hardware and b) wider developer support

13curly

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I am also a Pre owner and am going to upgrade to the Epic. I love WebOS, but the hardware is faulty and the lack of applications is killing me. I considering the change to Android because of developer support and what seems to be better hardware.

buzzardjrt

i am a Pre owner as well and am on the fence with the Epic. i did not like the flow of the EVO, and other ex Pre owners who have had the Evo since release have told me they still try and swipe things away and swipe to switch between apps.

i have to have a QWERTY, tried the screen keypad and it did not work for me and i need to go quickly, not in a month when i get used to it.

the only other system i would consider is Andriod, not the Iphone or the Windows.

i have a feeling since HP took over you will see a lot more apps coming soon especially when they start producing hardware like the pads and new phones and printers that all will work together. its killing me on the wait as well. but if something is not announced by the end of the year, im Epic Bound. unless a phone will come out with a QWERTY s 3D cam and a 3D screen!!!

downsouth11

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
As a Pre owner, whose wife has a Hero, WebOS is on par if not better than Android. Android is awesome and has way more useful apps than WebOS, but the phone, email, calendar and contact integration on the Pre is better. Multitasking on the Pre is second to none also. I wish Palm came out with better hardware in the past year, but sadly they just reinvented the same phone (minor reinventions at that).

That being said I am getting the Epic 4G mainly for the hardware and not necessarily Android, which again is a great OS.

Last edited:

anon(47596)

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Add me to the "me too" list here of Pre owners. I have missed calls on my Pre because the hardware was too slow to answer the call in time. Simply unacceptable for a "phone." I was all over the Evo until the Epic was announced and have waited for the better screen and keyboard.

I'm a geek and need to try everything once. Perhaps if Sprint / Palm has a new WebOS device next year I'll switch back. I mean the sooner you upgrade to an Android device, the sooner you can upgrade to a new WebOS device, right? :)

brendu

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
so from what I am hearing it looks like mostly Sprint Pre users are considering switching primarily for hardware... other than having more apps what about android is worth it? what apps are there that android users cant live without? I don't just want a bigger app store full of crap like the nazi theme I read about this morning...

downsouth11

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
so from what I am hearing it looks like mostly Sprint Pre users are considering switching primarily for hardware... other than having more apps what about android is worth it? what apps are there that android users cant live without? I don't just want a bigger app store full of crap like the nazi theme I read about this morning...

biggest apps are productivity, where you can edit docs. All other apps are mainly for fun: shazaam, shop saavy, and a few games

swest6602

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

Might help if we knew what apps you are interested in. productivity, social media, video, music, etc. I am not a former wOS user but can tell you about good apps on Android if I know a not more about what you bight be interested in. You should also check that apps forum on this and other sites.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
There are some nerdy phone apps like Antennas. Then there are the AR apps, the barcode scanners and the voice command stuff.

But that is basically it. Some apps are inferior to the ones on webos, and gaming on android, at this point, is abysmal in comparison.

You want the hardware more than the OS.

Sent From My Samsung Intercept

peterweb

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I have reserved my Epic and I am a Pre owner. I am making the switch because it is between $100 to fix my Pre or pay $150 more and get a very slick new phone. My Pre is just too slow and I have missed calls, the too many cards issue sucks, and I use my phone all the time and I need a BIGGER screen.

Android is taking off and that means more apps and more options. Palm OS is awesome and there is no question about that, Google is winning because they have a good OS, but manly because they have gone a different route and blanked the market by have as many hardware companies produce an Android phone. That strategy is winning.

messiah143

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm also a Palm Pre owner and will be switching to one of the best smartphone's in the world which is the Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G. I'm still a lover of Palm's WebOs but they have not come out with much stuff that has not impress me. Although they have a wonderful Homebrew community that has made the phone more user friendly and fun to hack into, but Palm has not been able to keep up with Android's great software capability's and hardware capability's too. I've seen Android evolved over time and has really been a great powerhouse of smartphones. Also, Android has way more apps than WebOs because they just have more developers making apps for it's operating system. Another thing I would like to point out is the fact that out of the box the Android smartphone's to me are a lot more customizable then compared to the Palm Pre where you have to use Preware to customize some things on it's phone. It will be awhile when we will see something new come from Palm and during that time Android and Apple will be coming out with something even way better. So, Palm will always be behind the game.

brendu

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
so I have been playing with my sisters evo the past couple days and im getting a bit more into android. I love how customizable it is and I love the big screen... starting to consider it and the epic more seriously.

CozBoogie

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Pre user since day one...but I'm lookin' to make the switch as well. As others have stated my motivation is better hardware, not better OS. As us Pre users know, WebOS is by far the best mobile OS on the street today.

That said...I'll learn to love Android but will always be willing to jump back to WebOS if/when they upgrade their devices.

late,
Coz

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I made the switch due to a bricked pre to a temp android phone and Im very quickly realizing the shortcomings of webOS. DOnt get me wrong I love the OS but features like voice input, tethering with ease and multi home pages for widgets and such make it a much better phone IMHO. I hope that HP and palm get their act together and come out with an iteration that can legitimately compete, but until then Im an android convert.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Pre user since day one...but I'm lookin' to make the switch as well. As others have stated my motivation is better hardware, not better OS. As us Pre users know, WebOS is by far the best mobile OS on the street today.

That said...I'll learn to love Android but will always be willing to jump back to WebOS if/when they upgrade their devices.

late,
Coz

Ill agree that when webos reaches android maturity it will be the best mobile OS, but alot needs to be worked on for that day to come. Remember that webOs is less then 1/3 the age pof android and still needs some time before it can iron out the issues. If that day comes I wouldnt even think twice about switching back. ;)

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I left Web OS at the evo launch. I returned the Evo because of the Epic announcement- and really missed the keyboard.

Pre and Web OS have some serious omissions. You have ZERO access to the calendar. You either love or hate the calendar app. I HATED IT. No agenda view, it was slow, and even in daily hourly view the text was hard to read. Android has many calendar apps with more on the way (like old school Palm) and useful Calendar widgets.

The Calendar and Contacts were the #1 reason I had a Palm back in the day...Web OS dismisses them as if what they created day one on pre was perfect and needs no refinement.. and no developer access to create apps using those databases. Thus Open Source Android is my choice- and for any serious Palm fan of old... Android should be their choice too in my opinion.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power