Opinion Article: Best Buy, Radio Shack, or Sprint?

showmrock

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I had never preordered from Best Buy until the EVO. I preordered the phone which was easy, except they never notified me that they were doing appointments until a huge list had already formed. This kinda ticked me off because it pushed me way back into the afternoon just to get the phone. I had just been in the store asking about appointments the day they called me as well. They had no idea what they were doing until they actually did it.

Ok so that's not REALLY a bad complaint...I agree. But it would be a problem if you had work that day and couldn't call off.

My main complaint was the customer service. Half of the guys didn't know how to use the computer and had to ask their manager what to do. Kinda last minute don't ya think? I think it's safe to say what the number one Christmas item is going to be this year... a "smartphone".....these guys need to get their act together quickly because people don't have patience around the holidays (remember the person who got trampled to death on Black Friday at a Walmart a couple years back?)

I get my phone but I have grounding issues and light bleeding through the device. I go to exchange my phone within 30 days but Best Buy doesn't want to exchange a device with you if they can sell a phone to a new customer (I call this commission over customer satisfaction).I got my phone exchanged but guess who did it? Sprint. They shouldn't have to exchange if I'm still within 30 days at Best Buy. I appreciate that they picked up where Best Buy failed.

When it comes to preordering I suggest RadioShack or Sprint. I went to three RadioShacks after the EVO's release and the employees there always tried to go above and beyond with answering any questions, even if I had already made a purchase from another store. They just wanted to genuinely help which is something that's rare in customer service. They knew I had my phone already. In my experience with purchases I sometimes find that the "little guys" are sometimes better to go to then the "big guys". I chose quality over quantity any day.

Last edited:

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I honestly have no problems with mail in rebates and prefer to buy from Sprint. If anything goes wrong I can exchange for a new one with no problems and the rebate only took about 2 weeks after submitting. I don't submit them right away.

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I am sorry the sprint store lied to you about their warranty policy. Sprint fully warrants your Best Buy handset for one year from initial activation ("orignal " or first ever activation). You could have gone to a full service Sprint store and gotten repair or replacement of your Best buy purchased handset an hour after activation. There is no 30 rule at all for that, Sprint treats you IDENTICALLY for warranty no matter where you bought the phone.

Indeed I just had Sprint replace no charge a new in box handset in I purchased on ebay One 11 months old and one two days old.

In fact I know for a fact that people who bought new in box Treo Pro's on ebay that had the incorrect Rom version, went to Sprint stores and had them swapped out within days as well.

Doesn't seem to be a disadvantage from buying at BB based on getting incorrect info from the tech or CSR at a sprint store.

I get my phone but I have grounding issues and light bleeding through the device. I go to exchange my phone within 30 days but Best Buy doesn't want to exchange a device with you if they can sell a phone to a new customer (I call this commission over customer satisfaction).I got my phone exchanged but guess who did it? Sprint. They aren't even technically allowed to do an exchange if I'm still within 30 days at Best Buy. I appreciate that they picked up where Best Buy failed. .

Last edited:

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I honestly have no problems with mail in rebates and prefer to buy from Sprint. If anything goes wrong I can exchange for a new one with no problems and the rebate only took about 2 weeks after submitting. I don't submit them right away.

I agree. I like going to a sprint store. It is easy to return if needed or exchange. I also charge the phone to my account. I like that I don't pay for the phone until I know if I will like it or not.

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
We've got a discussion going on in another thread about saving some money and getting a free screen protector if you have a .edu email address over here.

And it *does* work for upgrades or new lines they say.

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Sprint fully warrants your Best Buy handset for one year from purchase. You could have gone to a full service Sprint store and gotten replacement of your Best buy purchased handset a day after purchase.

Indeed I just had Sprint replace no charge a new in box handset in I purchased on ebay 11 months before and two days before.

Please direct us to the language in the Sprint warranty that says you have to wait 30 days. That has never been the case. In fact I know for a fact that people who bought new in box Treo Pro's on ebay that had the incorrect Rom version, went to Sprint stores and had them swapped out within days as well.

Doesn't seem to be a disadvantage from buying at BB based on that.

If it is within 30 days Sprint is not oblibated to do anything. After the 30 days you will receive a refurbished handset through warranty. I prefer Sprint because within the 30 days if anything is wrong with the phone they don't hassle you to exchange it for a new device.

showmrock

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I am sorry the sprint store lied to you about their warranty policy. Sprint fully warrants your Best Buy handset for one year from initial activation. You could have gone to a full service Sprint store and gotten repair or replacement of your Best buy purchased handset an hour after activation. There is no 30 rule at all for that, Sprint treats you IDENTICALLY for warranty no matter where you bought the phone.

You missed the point entirely. The point was that Best Buy had phones to exchange but wouldn't because they wanted to sell them instead. Sprint wanted to sell phones as well but exchanged it taking the loss. Sprint isn't suppose to exhange your phone until after 30 days because if you get an exchange you can not at that point return your phone to best buy for a refund (you would be returning a different phone than you bought from the store). That is why they avoid exchanges until after the 30 days. It's to your benefit in case you want your money back.

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
If it is within 30 days Sprint is not oblibated to do anything. After the 30 days you will receive a refurbished handset through warranty. I prefer Sprint because within the 30 days if anything is wrong with the phone they don't hassle you to exchange it for a new device.

Please don't post incorrect information. Sprint is obligated and in writing.

I got a brand new in box replacement from Sprint for the two examples mentioned: I bought on ebay one 11 month old ebay phone one two day old phone.

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Sprint isn't suppose to exhange your phone until after 30 days because if you get an exchange you can not at that point return your phone to best buy for a refund (you would be returning a different phone than you bought from the store). That is why they avoid exchanges until after the 30 days. It's to your benefit in case you want your money back.

I didnt miss the point. the example you gave in your original post was a warranty issue. You mentioned a light leak and "grounding issue". If those are warranted issues than Sprint will replace or fix it for you one hour after purchase from best buy (or EBAY!) as they are obligated in writing.

If you are talking about issues unrelated to warranty, like general dissatisfaction with the type of handset, yes Sprint will replace it or exchange it with another if you bought it there within 30 days,.

So there is a advantage to Sprint purcahse if you believe you may replace the pheen with the same handset within 30 days based on your sense of build quality outside of warrantable issues. Or if you think you might swap model type entirely.

But the advantage completely disappears for warranty issues and the fact is the way you related the Sprint rep stores resposneful is wrong.

Last edited:

showmrock

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Best Buy is obligated in writing to exchange a phone within 30 days and that was my complaint. I saw them selling them when I went to exchange but they didn't want to deal with any exchanges until everyone got a phone....which translates to your 30 days running out.

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Best Buy is obligated in writing to exchange a phone within 30 days and that was my complaint. I saw them selling them when I went to exchange but they didn't want to deal with any exchanges until everyone got a phone....which translates to your 30 days running out.

That is a valid point on your part, as are half dozen much discussed on sprintusers, howard, and other forums of pros and cons of each vendor of varying importance for each person.

Sorry for sounding so strident, I just wanted to be clear on the warranty because this was a massive and major change made in spring of 2009 by Sprint yet still a lot of people don't know it.

Other considerations I can think of off hand, not sure any are particularly compelling:
pro best buy
-Usually some favorable small sale tax savings from best buy -- depending on sales tax amount and policy -- due to instant rebate often not taxed and MIR usually taxed.
-I believe Best buy records this on you best buy "advantage" etc. IE you get points. I don't know if get them for the full retail, but if so and you are buying several handsets that could be a lot of points.

Pro sprint:
-Easier non warranted issue dissatisfaction within 30 days exchange for another type of handset from what I understand. (although this is highly mitigated at this point by the existence of only two handsets at 4g)
-Less chance of BB ruining existing account discounts.
- not getting a hard sell on some ripoff extended warranty (yes that is my subjective opinion)

Last edited:

showmrock

May 25, 2010
Visit site
-I believe Best buy records this on you best buy "advantage" etc. IE you get points. I don't know if get them for the full retail, but if so and you are buying everal handsets that could be a lot of points.

This I def support. If you can find a best buy where the employees are knowledgeable and care about customer satisfaction then best buy is def the best in my opinion because of it's reward zone. I believe $200 translates to $5 or $10 which is def a nice bonus to use towards shields, accessories, etc.

A side note how to beat the high prices at best buy

1) Always price match with local stores. Best places to price match in my opinion are Costco, Sams Club, and Walmart (they have to be actual locations within a certain mile radius from what I remember).

2) Price match using your cellphone's internet or use the computers in their store to show competitor's prices (the computers they sell are usually connected to the internet). Saves you time and effort of printing it out etc.

3) Use Rewards Zone card on that price matched item

4) Use the Reward Zone Dollars that come in the mail on your next price matched item(s) at Best Buy

5) If you find it for a better deal online with free shipping....do it! Best buy wont match online websites (Amazon, Ebay, Adorama, B&H, newegg) unless you find someone who is really cool and willing to lose their job.

Last edited: