TouchWiz 2.5? or 3.0?

showmrock

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I've seen a couple conflicting reports about what UI version the Epic is running. Many of the websites are reporting it running 3.0 but I've seen a couple that are saying 2.5. What's the truth on this? Engadget reporting 3.0 but skattertech reporting 2.5.

Darth Pooh#CB

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Look... I don't care if they call it TW 5000, it might use parts of the 2.0 frameworks and the 3.0 GUI, but for all intensive purposes... it runs pretty much like 3.

This is where we get into gray areas... especially when all the info comes from Sprint and NOT Samsung. Keep that in mind.

This might be why there isn't a lock screen like the Captivate / Vibrant (speculation on my part... but educated). I would be more comfortable putting this in the TW3 category until Samsung says differently.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I thought I was getting a GALAXY S phone. The one they advertised at CTIA or CITA whatever. I knew the home buttons were nerfed- but they didn't mention all this.

This is NOT the same family phone. They've stripped bare 1/2 of the custom features and replaced them with NOTHING. Sprint and Samsung have to answer for this IMHO. I'm paying EXTRA $10 a month and extra $50 for WHAT again? I'm NOT happy to read this at all.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I thought I was getting a GALAXY S phone. The one they advertised at CTIA or CITA whatever. I knew the home buttons were nerfed- but they didn't mention all this.

This is NOT the same family phone. They've stripped bare 1/2 of the custom features and replaced them with NOTHING. Sprint and Samsung have to answer for this IMHO. I'm paying EXTRA $10 a month and extra $50 for WHAT again? I'm NOT happy to read this at all.

This ^

cluckkillerb

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site

From what I heard, they had to nerf some of the features to make it compatabile with the keyboard in landscape mode. There, they replaced it with SOMETHING and they can always update to add features back in.

P.S. You're not FORCED to pay EXTRA anything, get something else if you don't like it......

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
P.S. You're not FORCED to pay EXTRA anything, get something else if you don't like it......

Anyone who says this needs to stfu. He's also not being forced to buy the phone he's complaining about. He's also not forced to even have a cell phone at all. He's also not forced to use the internet. But he wants to, and he wants to complain about it, and that's what we're all doing.

Wimax is one of their main selling points on this phone, so the $10 fee is fair game because it does add $240 to the price of the phone by the time the contract runs out.

Mike20PR

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Sigh... just when you think you finally found a device that can single handily destroy anything in its path, its crippled in some way or another

Just like the EVO and the fps cap...

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Sigh... just when you think you finally found a device that can single handily destroy anything in its path, its crippled in some way or another

Just like the EVO and the fps cap...
(netarchy-toastmod-4.0.2-fresh-compatible-signed) takes care of the fps cap

Mike20PR

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
(netarchy-toastmod-4.0.2-fresh-compatible-signed) takes care of the fps cap

I know roms can take care of it, but the cap is not actually fixed per se. The "dirty hack" as they call it just forces the lcd to refresh twice as often thus destroying battery life and overall lcd life by 200% there are so many battery complaints over at xda on custom roms that it worries me.... plus im at stock 2.2 :(

Sorry... back on topic

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I know roms can take care of it, but the cap is not actually fixed per se. The "dirty hack" as they call it just forces the lcd to refresh twice as often thus destroying battery life and overall lcd life by 200% there are so many battery complaints over at xda on custom roms that it worries me.... plus im at stock 2.2 :(

Sorry... back on topic
No issue with batt life running cap hack here , The LCD refresh screen life is great point if your going to hard core use device for 2 years.
At that point most are updating to new device.

Mike20PR

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
No issue with batt life running cap hack here , The LCD refresh screen life is great point if your going to hard core use device for 2 years.
At that point most are updating to new device.

Thanks! Lets see if froyo is rooted b4 the 31'st so the EVO can get its real chance to stay in my pocket

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! Lets see if froyo is rooted b4 the 31'st so the EVO can get its real chance to stay in my pocket
Well Unfortunately mine left my pocket due to volume button break & light leakage.
:(
Im thinking of making move to epic because of better build Quality but Samsungs weak on firmware updates & there's less hack support/custom roms.
Its been pre-orderd so It will get a test drive not so sure its a keeper yet

hampstenj

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Well Unfortunately mine left my pocket due to volume button break & light leakage.
:(
Im thinking of making move to epic because of better build Quality but Samsungs weak on firmware updates & there's less hack support/custom roms.
Its been pre-orderd so It will get a test drive not so sure its a keeper yet

less hack support... clearly you haven't seen sdx

SDX-Developers

hampstenj

May 8, 2010
Visit site
They're not as good as xda, BUT, the epic is on xda, too. Support should be fine.

true very true. i fell no problems with developer communities, I just wish that Samsung stuck with their ideals and having ONE version of touchwiz and no other, no if's ands, or buts about it! even if it means no hardware keyboard on a galaxy s device, even if it means no LED flash. here's why, cuz with the Epic doing this one separate touchwiz, you'll have to have developers JUST for the Epic, whereas with all the same software you could have ONE big group of developers working on this, instead of having the big group for everyone else and the leftovers so to speak working on the Epic. JMO

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000