The Rooting Thread

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
While I COMPLETELY condone rooting (root + uberkernel = decent pre (before hardware fell apart)), why not use free apps for teathering (for those who dont want to or know what rooting is)?

erickzig

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Probably a stupid question (I'm a total Android newbie) but if I root my phone and then decide I want to return it within the 30 day return window, I assume there is there a way to flash it back to stock? Thanks!

v7z730ib

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I plan on rooting because I have a sick obsession with cell phones and like to be able to switch things up on a regular basis. And because I want to run AOSP on the Epic at least for a little while.

Hybrids for the BB Tour I used to own. OC Kernels and patching for my Pre/Pixi. Custom ROMs for my girlfriends Hero. And now, custom ROMs for my Epic. :cool:
Same here . Sick obsession . Had my Pre OC with the F105 Thunderchief Kernal . I tried the 1.2 Ghz kernal , but it was too unstable . :p
http://forum.androidcentral.com/spr...ny-you-coming-palm-device-webos-pre-pixi.html

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
So if we cant put on a HTC Sense rom on the Epic, can we atleast use the HTC Widgets with root?

not the ones by HTC, those require sense to run. As soon as you run another launcher, those widgets are no longer available. However, there are copy-cat widgets that do a nice job in the market. Beautiful widgets is one of them.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
There is no way I am rooting! It sounds dangerous!!!

hahaha, keith, you crack me up. does it require any tools? How about skills. I have mad Ninja Skills, will that help me root it?

For all of those worried, there is a 1-click root/unroot in the process of being worked on for the Epic. Sprint/Samsung patched up the easy vulnerability that were on the other galaxy s models.

lpsteve72

May 19, 2010
Visit site
There looks like there is a system update wanting to download out of the box. Should we not download it? Do u think it will prevent it from being able to be rooted?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Is rooting easy to do and is there clear instructions for it? I'm coming from the Palm Pre.

Recently, devs have made them idiot proof. Back in the day, the hardest thing was setting up the driver for the phone, once that was done, you could just copy/paste and still get it done. it required the sdk to be installed. I think now they just strip parts of the sdk (android debugging bridge or ADB) and package that into one-click rooters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad