How many of you are coming from a Palm device ? ( WebOS/Pre/Pixi )

downsouth11

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
coming from a Palm Pre and have the only preorder for the Epic4G at my RadioShack around the corner. Can not wait to have a phone that actually works and an OS I don't have to patch to make up for lack of features.

Called my Radio Shack and asked "have you had many Epic 4G preorders?" and she said "nope, only you" HA.

Miami isn't very "techy" anyway. It is more about the scene, so everyone and there grandmother (literally grandmothers!) has an iPhone and doesn't know what to do with it. But hey it looks cool... no?

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
In my last sentence I wasn't trying to make it seem like Palm is Dead...

Shoot- I'll say it. PALM IS DEAD!!

I don't care if HP has money and throws it at Rubenstein and says make an empire- they've SHOWN they have no clue what Palm needed to do.

Rubenstein did what Jobs did- why? Because Rubentstien worked at Apple. Make a phone for the masses and don't worry about anything else. Apple was able to do this because they didn't have the BAGGAGE of legacy users.

Palm- has had roughly the same software for 15+ years... they thought by creating a software w/ 3rd party help they could bring legacy along for the ride... but the software was buggy- and unbeknownst to the PRe userbase- would be completely kept separate from the PRE database files rendering the most useable of classic apps (like calendar/memo/task/contacts/dialer) useless on the pre. That tiny pre screen and capacitive vs. the original palm interface in "classic mode" using a 3rd party app was a match made in hell too.

Palms' wasted too much time to get their userbase back as well. We've moved on to other platforms- many to iphone, blackberry, and Android.

Palm should have released a business phone 1st that was revolutionary that would get their fractured userbase to upgrade. There is countless people running many devices from 600 series to 700 series to the 800 and centros. They never upgraded to another palm because the upgrades were too minor to justify the outrageous costs (back then $199 was a STEAL for a smartphone- many paid $299-$499 and that was WITH a contract!) Also, many couldn't get a full upgrade within even 2 years- and now carriers are a lot more lenient with that.

Had palm released PRE with full legacy support- with a great new desktop interface (buying iambic w/ Agendus would have been a great start- kind of like when Handspring brought on Datebook to replace the calendar) THEN rubenstein could have later released a more casual user phone that didn't need legacy support. By turning their back on their MILLIONS of splintered userbase among 5+ years' worth of different model treos they killed any chance of serious mainstream success pretty much on LAUNCH day of the PRE.

Many of us flocked to the PRe with hope the very active dev community would save us- but after months of denial, many began to realize- Palm turned their back and abandoned us creating a phone with a great UI with NO support for anything other than cloud computing aimed squarely at casuals with no previous ties to the Palm brand- the Sprint exclusivity and releasing with clearly too little RAM, and being the worst quality handset ever built killed the phone's chance of success.

Personally, I think Rubenstein should be FIRED on that basis alone- not having done any research that clearly would have resulted in just how large this potential userbase was they turned their backs on...but I digress.

Palm is dead- the Pre OS was slick and I can see it's application in another product benefiting someone- and having such similarities with iphone definitely helps the dev community- but their flawed execution really killed them as a smartphone maker.

Now who's to say they won't release a successful tablet ... sure- I could see that working- but I'll never expect them to attempt to make a run for the smartphone market again- they were late to the game with the PRE launch and with WinMo7, Android, iphone 4 even RIM still in the game with new changes- Palm would be throwing money away... and I think HP knows that. They see potential in what was created- and want to create some opportunities to leverage that outside the phone market - where the landscape is perhaps a bit more in their favor...PERHAPS.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Shoot- I'll say it. PALM IS DEAD!!

I don't care if HP has money and throws it at Rubenstein and says make an empire- they've SHOWN they have no clue what Palm needed to do.

Rubenstein did what Jobs did- why? Because Rubentstien worked at Apple. Make a phone for the masses and don't worry about anything else. Apple was able to do this because they didn't have the BAGGAGE of legacy users.

Palm- has had roughly the same software for 15+ years... they thought by creating a software w/ 3rd party help they could bring legacy along for the ride... but the software was buggy- and unbeknownst to the PRe userbase- would be completely kept separate from the PRE database files rendering the most useable of classic apps (like calendar/memo/task/contacts/dialer) useless on the pre. That tiny pre screen and capacitive vs. the original palm interface in "classic mode" using a 3rd party app was a match made in hell too.

Palms' wasted too much time to get their userbase back as well. We've moved on to other platforms- many to iphone, blackberry, and Android.

Palm should have released a business phone 1st that was revolutionary that would get their fractured userbase to upgrade. There is countless people running many devices from 600 series to 700 series to the 800 and centros. They never upgraded to another palm because the upgrades were too minor to justify the outrageous costs (back then $199 was a STEAL for a smartphone- many paid $299-$499 and that was WITH a contract!) Also, many couldn't get a full upgrade within even 2 years- and now carriers are a lot more lenient with that.

Had palm released PRE with full legacy support- with a great new desktop interface (buying iambic w/ Agendus would have been a great start- kind of like when Handspring brought on Datebook to replace the calendar) THEN rubenstein could have later released a more casual user phone that didn't need legacy support. By turning their back on their MILLIONS of splintered userbase among 5+ years' worth of different model treos they killed any chance of serious mainstream success pretty much on LAUNCH day of the PRE.

Many of us flocked to the PRe with hope the very active dev community would save us- but after months of denial, many began to realize- Palm turned their back and abandoned us creating a phone with a great UI with NO support for anything other than cloud computing aimed squarely at casuals with no previous ties to the Palm brand- the Sprint exclusivity and releasing with clearly too little RAM, and being the worst quality handset ever built killed the phone's chance of success.

Personally, I think Rubenstein should be FIRED on that basis alone- not having done any research that clearly would have resulted in just how large this potential userbase was they turned their backs on...but I digress.

Palm is dead- the Pre OS was slick and I can see it's application in another product benefiting someone- and having such similarities with iphone definitely helps the dev community- but their flawed execution really killed them as a smartphone maker.

Now who's to say they won't release a successful tablet ... sure- I could see that working- but I'll never expect them to attempt to make a run for the smartphone market again- they were late to the game with the PRE launch and with WinMo7, Android, iphone 4 even RIM still in the game with new changes- Palm would be throwing money away... and I think HP knows that. They see potential in what was created- and want to create some opportunities to leverage that outside the phone market - where the landscape is perhaps a bit more in their favor...PERHAPS.

People keep thinking that HP will make a killer phone with Palm branding. Something tells me this isn't going to happen. Yeah, you know that tablet? The one that people say is coming in '11? Well, is it really going to come or is it going to be vaporware like the HP Slate aka the supposed iPad killer.

v7z730ib

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Palm is dead per-say . I don't believe the next Palm phone will be that great , but I have confidence in the phone after that .

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
LOL- it was the 1st and only? phone with free tethering... not that it helps to sell the phone it seems... maybe the new Verizon Palm will be the exclusive 1st LTE phone? (shudder)

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Well, the VZW leaked EOL's give hint to October release of something... or just a complete and utter failure (yet again) from HPalm. The Pre Plus is outta there come October.

Hmm, I see. Will it be good though? Palm hasn't been very good with their hardware. Their Treo series was just a repetition of slightly upgraded phones. WebOS has a lot of potential. I wish someone else would buy the rights to WebOS. It'd be interesting to see if someone could actually pair up a clean WebOS with really decent hardware.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, I see. Will it be good though? Palm hasn't been very good with their hardware. Their Treo series was just a repetition of slightly upgraded phones. WebOS has a lot of potential. I wish someone else would buy the rights to WebOS. It'd be interesting to see if someone could actually pair up a clean WebOS with really decent hardware.

Doubt it... HP isn't exactly known for producing solid hardware either.

alltrippy

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I am coming from the palm pre from sprint. I just kept seeing the amazing things android does, and I just couldn't keep waiting on a new WebOS phone. Kinda sad, and super happy. I feel like a little kid waiting for the Epic.

Hello Android Community. Looking forward to staying awhile.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I am coming from the palm pre from sprint. I just kept seeing the amazing things android does, and I just couldn't keep waiting on a new WebOS phone. Kinda sad, and super happy. I feel like a little kid waiting for the Epic.

Hello Android Community. Looking forward to staying awhile.

Welcome. Also if you have any questions about the epic specifically, check out the stickied Q&A thread. If you have questions about android OS, let us know.

frankos72

Jun 20, 2010
www.pigstands.com
That's my question though. Will HP make another phone anytime soon? By HP I also mean Palm btw.

Latest rumors out today. Palm Envy 1.2Ghz, 8MP Camera, front camera, 4" High res LCD. Due out in Q4 2010. Looks like a good solid rumor too. Check it out over at precentral.net.

My plan all along is to do epic till a webos phone comes out, but I'm starting to lean towards getting and keeping both.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Latest rumors out today. Palm Envy 1.2Ghz, 8MP Camera, front camera, 4" High res LCD. Due out in Q4 2010. Looks like a good solid rumor too. Check it out over at precentral.net.

My plan all along is to do epic till a webos phone comes out, but I'm starting to lean towards getting and keeping both.

If this was another company I'd trust it, but Palm has turned into Phantom Entertainment. Great ideas, producing vaporware. After the HP Slate, I will NEVER believe it until I see it being released to the public.

frankos72

Jun 20, 2010
www.pigstands.com
If this was another company I'd trust it, but Palm has turned into Phantom Entertainment. Great ideas, producing vaporware. After the HP Slate, I will NEVER believe it until I see it being released to the public.

What are you talking about? The slate, or other tablet, will be released by Q1 2011 by HP. They have plans for both a Windows and webOS version. This is not just rumor or speculations, it has been announced by HP. I'll probably pickup the webOS one to play with.

In case you haven't figure it out, I'm a real webOS fan. But I played with that EVO long enough to know I like android too. Android has a lot more to offer, it's just not as intuitive and simple to use. It seems to take some digging to get anywhere. Also, it will be interesting to see what happens to Android in 3.0 since they now employ the lead GUI designer that created webOS. I'm guessing android will become a lot more intuitive when 3.0 hits.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
What are you talking about? The slate, or other tablet, will be released by Q1 2011 by HP. They have plans for both a Windows and webOS version. This is not just rumor or speculations, it has been announced by HP. I'll probably pickup the webOS one to play with.

In case you haven't figure it out, I'm a real webOS fan. But I played with that EVO long enough to know I like android too. Android has a lot more to offer, it's just not as intuitive and simple to use. It seems to take some digging to get anywhere. Also, it will be interesting to see what happens to Android in 3.0 since they now employ the lead GUI designer that created webOS. I'm guessing android will become a lot more intuitive when 3.0 hits.

Not the WebOS version! The Windows 7 version.

Another Tablet Falls: HP Slate Canceled | Tech News Daily

But I now see a new article.

HP's slate may yet live | Crave - CNET

Are they doing this to make me look stupid? Why have I not seen these posts on Redmond Pie or anything? Well, here you go Frankos, the article that somehow missed my RSS feeds:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/203849/hp_webos_windows_tablets_are_real.html

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site

Also, the rumor part wasn't about the tablet, but the phone. :)

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't want to come across as a bitter Palm hater, but ANY OS can appear easy to use or intuitive when you strip out as many options as you can and still have the product work. My PALM III had a bigger menu drop down list than my Pre! The thing had ZERO options. Here's a box of crayons- hope you like 8 of them. Where Android goes a bit crazy is they give you perhaps a few too many options- many of which can be activated more than 2-3 different ways rather than one. Convenient for geeks- confusing for casuals (who expect to set/select something using only 1 method) so you get the box of 64 crayons- but every 2-3 crayons are the same color.

Web OS notifications were useful but a bit obtrusive- personally I like the notification bar of Android- I just wish I could have DETAILS in the notification bar... The other WebOS idea that was great were the deck of cards system...with the Pre Plus anyway- the phone desperately needed that extra ram. The too many cards open glitch when you had only 1 card was infuriating on sprint. Everything else was a mistake- most of all keeping the strongest developers of Palm Garnet/Access/Classic whatever you wanted to call it out of the loop when it came to app creation development prior to the phone being released. They didn't have time to wait- and left Palm to develop for iphone, Blackberry, some even android. A few developers came back once they saw how easy iphone ports were- but at that point it was obvious- Palm wasn't competition for the phone companies or other Mobile OS - they were a brief distraction that had a rabid fanbase waiting at the train stop for a train that would never show up to take them home.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87