How many of you are coming from a Palm device ? ( WebOS/Pre/Pixi )

v7z730ib

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
What phone are you guys coming from ? ( Switching to Epic 4G ) !

My lame little introduction for A|C , feel free not to read this part : Hello ! I am new to Andriod Central . I currently have the Palm Pre . I love the OS , but the hardware is crap . Complete crap . I doubt the next HPalm phone is gonna be the great , since i've read on the P|C forums that HP probably won't have that much affect on the next phone . Which is a bummer . I'm a tech nerd , and plan to root my phone and try and be an avid member of A|C . My Samsung Epic 4G is already pre-ordered . :]

The actual question : I've noticed that almost every person i've seen that is planning on getting this phone , is coming from a WebOS phone , or the Evo . I just wanted to know , what phones are you guys coming from ? & why ? Outdated hardware ? Want a 4G phone ? Broke your old phone ? Or you just wanna stay up with the latest Super Phone ? Either way , let me know what phone you guys are coming from , and why . I'm planning on tons of Palm phones . :p

1st post ever btw . :D

CURRENT COUNT:
35 From WebOS ( Pre or Pixi ) . ( Including me )
1 From T-Mobile G1 .
1 From HTC Hero .
4 from Palm Treo
2 from iPhone
1 From Centro
1 From Evo

Last edited:
Reactions: flea

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm coming from a T-Mobile G1. I'm only switching to this phone for two reasons:

- Top-of-the-line keyboarded Android phone and they keyboard doesn't suck (I'm looking at you, Verizon Droids)
- Cheap as hell plan... $70/month discounted to $60/month + $10/month 4G + $7/month insurance = $77/month for my phone. Over $10/month cheaper than my T-Mobile Plan

Everything else that's awesome about this phone is just an added bonus.

Edit: did you really use Comic Sans? What are you, a marketing "mole" from some market research company? :p

dante501

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Coming from palm pre. Love webos. But the hardware just got to much to handle. 7 exchanges are just too much. Also I love the form factor of the evo.

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
same boat- coming from a pre and already reserved my epic...and like downsouth, i am still on my first pre (from launch also).

have you heard about the roadrunner webos device with webos 2.0 and 640x960 res? wow! who knows when that would be out, though. cannot wait that long.

v7z730ib

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Edit: did you really use Comic Sans? What are you, a marketing "mole" from some market research company? :p

Ahaha , I changed the font . I was like super caffinated on coffee . Wasn't thinking . I could barely type I was shaking so much ! :D

same boat- coming from a pre and already reserved my epic...and like downsouth, i am still on my first pre (from launch also).

have you heard about the roadrunner webos device with webos 2.0 and 640x960 res? wow! who knows when that would be out, though. cannot wait that long.
Yea , I saw that on the front page . That was pretty awesome . But see , my thinking is .. We have an announcement for a tablet . " Early 2011 " but none for a smartphone . So it's my assumption that that's a tablet , not a smartphone . With the resolution and all .. I saw a few other people in the comments of that article who had the same thinking as me . I'm known to be wrong a-lot though , haha . Also , I noticed games for the iPad have HD included in the name . Don't know if that means anything . :p

Last edited:

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
i had 5 pres, a long time ago. I'm currently coming from a Hero, and the transition isn't that bad. It will take some getting used to at first not to swipe your apps away, but the transition really only takes like 24 hours with an android device. notifications don't display when the phone is charging, but you get a larger area to see them on the phone than a pre, which is nice, cause they managed getting more information to you, while also making it less obtrusive.
been very happy with my hero, depsite its lack of power. I feel the epic will be just that. Also, battery life on any android phone I've used (my sister had a mytouch 3g, g1 and n1) has been much much better than any pre I've seen. With this phone, you won't get more than a day without an extended battery, but you should make it through the day no problem (my pre died in 5 hours just sitting in my pocket, 0 phone calls).

v7z730ib

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Battery life was always a huge problem for me . I had to put my phone on Airplane Mode just to get 'till the end of school . -_-' . What's the point of having a phone , if I can't use it ? I OC'ed it and got better battery life . Still not enough to get me through my busy life . I heard about the swiping app thing . There should be a name for it or something . Swipe Syndrome ? Dunno . My mom has the Hero . Don't like it much . Seems very un-responsive . Might just be hers tho . She refuses to upgrade her phone software , she's afraid of losing her stuff . @_@ . So that's 4 people coming from Pre already ! Seems like everybody got fed up at the same time . :)

smashclash

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm switching from a Pre. I've had about 4 of them. I love webOS and don't want to switch but my phone got wet a couple weeks ago and although it still works it drains the battery 5x faster than it used to. I have insurance but to me an additional $150 for a superior phone makes it an easier decision. With no new webOS device in sight I'm switching to Android. But once a new device comes out and I'm able to upgrade I will probably go back.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Battery life was always a huge problem for me . I had to put my phone on Airplane Mode just to get 'till the end of school . -_-' . What's the point of having a phone , if I can't use it ? I OC'ed it and got better battery life . Still not enough to get me through my busy life . I heard about the swiping app thing . There should be a name for it or something . Swipe Syndrome ? Dunno . My mom has the Hero . Don't like it much . Seems very un-responsive . Might just be hers tho . She refuses to upgrade her phone software , she's afraid of losing her stuff . @_@ . So that's 4 people coming from Pre already ! Seems like everybody got fed up at the same time . :)

Stock hero really does suck in the responsiveness part. Better memory management ROMs alone help this. Froyo helps alot... cause there is no sense on it, plus ability to use JIT.

duallydave

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Another Pre owner, tired of typing with my thumbnails, tired of having to remove all of the customization and put it back on after every update. Having a bigger better screen will be nice, faster CPU, etc. Also I'm a hopeless early adopter, have to get the latest and greatest!

Phone#IM

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Add me to the list of Pre owners switching over.

Web OS is a great operating system and probably one of my favorite ever on any phone. The pre is a great phone and had so much potential but the main problem is the cheap hardware. I have already gone through 3 Pre's and my current one has had tons of issues since July but I figure the Epic was coming soon and that it would be a waste to just replace my phone that I was planning to get rid of anyways.

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
There's already a large ex Pre community here from the first mass wave of defectors when then Evo first came out including myself. It feels good to just have a phone that just works right out of the box without requiring bandaids (patches/kernels) to make it work. You'll love the huge app selection, virtual keyboards, scanners and web browser selection. Well guys and girls good luck with your new phones and welcome to the Android Army and Androidcentral. You'll notice our community is not as active as Precentral then again we don't have all the issues that come with Pre ownership.

Last edited:

v7z730ib

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Stock hero really does suck in the responsiveness part. Better memory management ROMs alone help this. Froyo helps alot... cause there is no sense on it, plus ability to use JIT.
It the same with my Pre . Crappy without patches and kernals , decent with . -_-'
There's already a large ex Pre community here from the first mass wave of defectors when then Evo first came out including myself. It feels good to just have a phone that just works right out of the box without requiring bandaids (patches/kernels) to make it work. You'll love the huge app selection, virtual keyboards, scanners and web browser selection. Well guys and girls good luck with your new phones and welcome to the Android Army and Androidcentral. You'll notice our community is not as active as Precentral then again we don't have all the issues that come with Pre ownership.
Hey , i've seen you on P|C before , haha .. Hmm , I didn't notice that many people switch to Evo . & alot of the people who did came right back . Might just be me tho . I tend to be wrong alot . :p
The pre is a great phone and had so much potential but the main problem is the cheap hardware. I have already gone through 3 Pre's and my current one has had tons of issues since July but I figure the Epic was coming soon and that it would be a waste to just replace my phone that I was planning to get rid of anyways.
I went through 5 . My current Pre has a horrible slider , but I think the local Sprint store is getting sick of me , lol . So i'm just gonna wait 'till the 31st for my Epic ! :D But Yea , WebOS would be sick on some new hardware .. But i'm tired of reading all the bad news on P|C . Everybody is leaving the HPalm company since the merge . " Last one out , please turn off the lights . "

Last edited:

frankos72

Jun 20, 2010
www.pigstands.com

I'm a Pre user. I tried the EVO. Biggest Gripe, probably the lack of a physical KB. My wife has a Samsung dumbphone slider and I can use her keyboard better than any of the virtual ones. Favorite part of Android was probably the App selection followed by the browser re-wrapping the text (wrong wording I think). Man it was nice to be able to zoom in and see all the text without scrolling back and forth.

So, I'll be trying out the Epic soon as it hits Sam's Club. I think the $249 is a bit steep. Based on the 178 for EVO at Sam's, I'm hoping to get the epic for 210-225. Anyway, I'll keep it unless palm announces and sets a release date before my 30 days is up. If they don't, I'll likely be going back to HPalm soon as they have a new webOS phone on Sprint, even if I have to pay full price for it.

cwfranklin2

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Another Pre owner here. I love webOS, that will be the only thing I miss. Well, that and the gesture area. I think its going to take a while for me to get used to not having a gesture area, being that the Pre was my first smart phone. Its funny that every phone I pick up other than the pre I try to go back to the previous screen using the back gesture :p

I wanted to try a different OS. I'm not going to AT&T for the iPhone and BB's OS is just faaking boring! So the natural choice is Android. I'm intrigued by the excitement of the Android community, which is what drew me to webOS in the first place. So, I figure I'll give Palm a year to get their acts together and then make a decision on my next OS at that time.

I'm excited on trying out the Epic, which is already pre-ordered at Best Buy... the wait is killing me :)

v7z730ib

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I'll be sure to add you to the count . :] Physical Keyboard is pretty important for me too . Typing in class under the table isn't easy with a virtual keyboard . I can seriously look my teacher straight in the eye , RIGHT infront of me , and be texting my friends about tonights plans , haha . Yea 250$ is pretty steep . I fix computer for a job tho , so I saved up money . :] I also hope to go to HPalm , but sometime in the future .