Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Epic $199.99 at Amazon

Unfortunately for me it's for new customers (also $469.99 w/o contract which is the best price I've seen so far as well)

Amazon.com: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint): Cell Phones & Service

Now people can quite complaining! Woohoo!

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

Ohhh... if this has no sales tax, this is almost as good of a deal as the Student Rate discount. I'm gonna have to find that out... I just might cancel my Student Rate preorder.

Any drawbacks to going this route instead of the Sprint store? Other than I know I can have it the first day in store with my reservation?
    Last edited by egeorge1; 08-23-2010 at 05:54 PM.

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

Ohh I forgot there's no activation fee at Student Rate. Maybe Student Rate's still the better route to go :\

Also egeorge1, this is $50 cheaper *and* you don't need to deal with a mail-in-rebate. Also, you usually don't have to pay sales tax with Amazon. Can someone verify if this is true with cell phones?

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

This is rather ambiguous.. from my family plan checkout on Amazon:

"
    Sprint 2-year Contract (One-time $36 activation fee applies to each line of service.)
    (No Charge: Included with Sprint's Monthly Rate Plan)
    "

So why even mention it if there's no charge?

What's even more annoying is I can't even see the final checkout review page without submitting the credit background check first. I just want to see if the activation and/or taxes show up on the final page, but I'm not going risk Amazon doing the credit check first.

Global Posts
    196 Global Posts

@BrianFX: That is a little confusing. Maybe they mean that it will not be included in the amount due at checkout, but will be included in your first month's bill.

Global Posts
    769 Global Posts

So it costs $170 more to get it off contract versus buying it subsidized in California. Tempting.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

i keep getting an error at the credit check screen! arghh!

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vtective View Post
    @BrianFX: That is a little confusing. Maybe they mean that it will not be included in the amount due at checkout, but will be included in your first month's bill.
    That's what I'm guessing too.

I just called Amazon up, and they do indeed run your credit check before you can see the final checkout page and submit the order. That seems awfully backwards to me.

I'll be sticking with my corporate site and the $50-off code. It's an invoice discount, so it'll still be $350 + tax - rebate - $50 credit, but then I don't have to deal with Amazon's screwy policies, shipping delay, adding a corp discount after the fact, and number porting. Sorry Amazon.

It's saying that it's unavailable! What, doesn't it like us NorCal peeps?

It's saying that it's unavailable! What, doesn't it like us NorCal peeps?
    I had the same message when I logged onto the page. I thought it was just me cuz i'm in santa cruz but other people in NorCal or experiencing it. Weird.

Other than that, best price so far for this device even off contract
    yEzZiR! - samsung n400 w/camera > Sanyo mm7400 > Sanyo VM4500> Samsung Instinks > Palm pre > HTC EVO 4g
    jeravicious.wordpress.com
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by BrianFX View Post
    That's what I'm guessing too.

I just called Amazon up, and they do indeed run your credit check before you can see the final checkout page and submit the order. That seems awfully backwards to me.

I'll be sticking with my corporate site and the $50-off code. It's an invoice discount, so it'll still be $350 + tax - rebate - $50 credit, but then I don't have to deal with Amazon's screwy policies, shipping delay, adding a corp discount after the fact, and number porting. Sorry Amazon.
    I'm doing the same thing as you.

Global Posts
    769 Global Posts

I avoided the studentrate site because I didn't want to lose my current discount. It was a huge hassle getting it done the first time, I don't want to go through it again, and I don't want to risk having any problems adding it.

I'll pick it up in person at BB. By far the easiest and most reliable way of going about it IMO.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    I avoided the studentrate site because I didn't want to lose my current discount. It was a huge hassle getting it done the first time, I don't want to go through it again, and I don't want to risk having any problems adding it.

I'll pick it up in person at BB. By far the easiest and most reliable way of going about it IMO.
    Forgot about going to BB the day before going on vacation, now I'm screwed because they don't have it available for pre-order. Luckily, I have my backup plan (pick-up at Sprint store). I'm relieved, but wished I didn't have to pay that rebate.

Well, it's back up at Amazon and I can order it there now however, it looks like they charge the $36 activation fee... Still might be worth it since it's $50 cheaper and you don't have to pay tax or mess with rebates... Says ships within 9-10 days, though...
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by erickzig View Post
    Well, it's back up at Amazon and I can order it there now however, it looks like they charge the $36 activation fee... Still might be worth it since it's $50 cheaper and you don't have to pay tax or mess with rebates... Says ships within 9-10 days, though...
    I wouldn't let that $36 activation fee bother you too much...a simple call or online chat with a sprint customer service rep is all you need to get it waived and credited to your account...

This deal is back up guys. After I put all my information in the final price was $199.99 I'm still deciding if I should place my order though. lol

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Buying off contract Amazon saves you $10, I think I will just keep my Sprint store reservation for now.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by debello View Post
    Buying off contract Amazon saves you $10, I think I will just keep my Sprint store reservation for now.
    That's what I did, but I have to remember the rebate this time. I forgot about my mail-in rebate after purchasing a laptop and we had to pay much more. It sucked.

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by caliskimmer View Post
    That's what I did, but I have to remember the rebate this time. I forgot about my mail-in rebate after purchasing a laptop and we had to pay much more. It sucked.
    Off contract buyers don't get the rebate, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Danger_Mouse View Post
    This deal is back up guys. After I put all my information in the final price was $199.99 I'm still deciding if I should place my order though. lol
    Since I am getting 2 of them it would save me a couple hundred bucks with the no tax and the $50 less per phone. Just wondering:

- I assume it will be easier to return if I want to cancel
    - When the heck will it actually ship?
    - Will I be able to port my AT&T number later AFTER I decide to keep the phone.

Maybe I'll order them and then if I don't get any shipping info, I can still go in store and get it.

EDIT: OK I ordered them from Amazon. I selected the overnight delivery and since I have AMazon Prime it only cost an extra $8. For delivery it tells me: Estimated delivery September 3, 2010 - September 7, 2010
    Last edited by erickzig; 08-24-2010 at 02:15 PM.

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by debello View Post
    How about taxes- I will save ~$50 bucks by buying through amazon. I was also thinking that this way I can get a phone and not activate it until its allowed on my Sero plan (hopefully oct 1st)? I wonder if this phone will go out of stock like the evo 4g did?

Quote Originally Posted by erickzig View Post
    Since I am getting 2 of them it would save me a couple hundred bucks with the no tax and the $50 less per phone. Just wondering:

- I assume it will be easier to return if I want to cancel
    - When the heck will it actually ship?
    - Will I be able to port my AT&T number later AFTER I decide to keep the phone.

Maybe I'll order them and then if I don't get any shipping info, I can still go in store and get it.

EDIT: OK I ordered them from Amazon. I selected the overnight delivery and since I have AMazon Prime it only cost an extra $8. For delivery it tells me: Estimated delivery September 3, 2010 - September 7, 2010
    erickzig,

- From what I read to return a cellphone purchased through Amazon, you would have to ship it back at your cost. After they receive it, you will get a confirmation email and it would typically take up to 2 weeks to credit to your account.
    - You answered your own question.
    - When you get your phone, call sprint to port your phone number over from AT&T. It probably wouldn't hurt to ask them to waive the activation fee too. Not sure if it would work, but it's worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger_Mouse View Post
    erickzig,

- From what I read to return a cellphone purchased through Amazon, you would have to ship it back at your cost. After they receive it, you will get a confirmation email and it would typically take up to 2 weeks to credit to your account.
    - You answered your own question.
    - When you get your phone, call sprint to port your phone number over from AT&T. It probably wouldn't hurt to ask them to waive the activation fee too. Not sure if it would work, but it's worth a shot.
    Thanks!

Yeah, my plan is to activate the phones and get temp numbers and then if we decided to keep them, call Sprint back and THEN have them port our AT&T numbers over to the phones. I figured this would be easier if I purchased in store but I guess it doesn't really matter! I'd rather save the $180 (assuming I can get them to wave the activation fee and if they don't, I'll cancel just out of spite :-)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast