1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Default Epic 4G Camera has less features??

I was comparing camera fatures between the Epic 4G and its siblings (the AT&T Captivate to be specific) and found the Epic was lacking in a couple of features.

If this is true, I'm just a bit disappointed. Maybe it can be upgraded with a software upgrade.....

I found these features in the AT&T Captivate pdf User's Manual that is not listed in the Epic's pdf User's Manual (which can mean the Epic's Users Manual is incomplete or not accurate - until it can be verified that they are in fact, the same)

• Single shot: takes a single photo and view it before returning to the shooting mode.
    • Continuous: takes a succession of consecutive photos by pressing and holding the Camera key.
    • Panorama: takes a landscape photo by taking an initial photo and then adding additional images to itself. The guide box lets you view the area where the second part of the panoramic picture should fall within.
    • Smile shot: the camera focuses on the face of your subject. Once the camera detects the person’s smile, it takes the picture.
    • Beauty: adjusts the contrast to smooth facial features.
    • Vintage: gives your photo a vintage look (hazy around the edges). Touch the icon in the lower left corner of the display screen to choose a Normal, Warm, Cool, or Mono effect.
    • Add me: combines people with existing background. Touch the screen to pick which side of the screen to focus on. Press the camera key. Focus on a background and press the camera key a second time.
    • Action shot: detects action and creates a panorama of the moving object.
    • Cartoon: gives your photo a cartoon look.
    • Effects: allows you to change the color tone or apply special effects to the photo. Options include: Normal, Negative, Black and White, or Sepia.
    • Adjust: allows you to adjust Contrast, Saturation, and Sharpness

(Many of the above features are found on Samsung's digital cameras)

Other than that, most of the other camera/camcorder features are pretty much the same according to the pdf Manuals. If this is true, I wonder why the difference? Is it due to actual hardware or just software/firmware??

Regardless, I'm still looking forward to picking up my Epic fom Radio Shack.

t-minus 1 day 8 hours 57 minutes and counting.....
    Last edited by 7droid-sigma; 08-30-2010 at 12:19 AM. Reason: typo
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by 7droid-sigma View Post
    I was comparing camera fatures between the Epic 4G and its siblings (the AT&T Captivate to be specific) and found the Epic was lacking in a couple of features.

If this is true, I'm just a bit disappointed. Maybe it can be upgraded with a software upgrade.....

I found these features in the AT&T Captivate pdf Users Manual that is not listed in the Epic's pdf manual (which can mean the Epic's Users Manual is incomplete or not accurate - until it can be verified that they are in fact, the same)

• Single shot: takes a single photo and view it before returning to the shooting mode.
    • Continuous: takes a succession of consecutive photos by pressing and holding the Camera key.Panorama: takes a landscape photo by taking an initial photo and then adding additional images to itself. The guide box lets you view the area where the second part of the panoramic picture should fall within.
    • Smile shot: the camera focuses on the face of your subject. Once the camera detects the person’s smile, it takes the picture.
    • Beauty: adjusts the contrast to smooth facial features.
    • Vintage: gives your photo a vintage look (hazy around the edges). Touch the icon in the lower left corner of the display screen to choose a Normal, Warm, Cool, or Mono effect.
    • Add me: combines people with existing background. Touch the screen to pick which side of the screen to focus on. Press the camera key. Focus on a background and press the camera key a second time.
    • Action shot: detects action and creates a panorama of the moving object.
    • Cartoon: gives your photo a cartoon look.
    • Effects: allows you to change the color tone or apply special effects to the photo. Options include: Normal, Negative, Black and White, or Sepia.
    • Adjust: allows you to adjust Contrast, Saturation, and Sharpness

(Many of the above features are found on Samsung's digital cameras)

Other than that, most of the other camera/camcorder features are pretty much the same according to the pdm manuals. If this is true, I wonder why the difference? Is it due to actual hardware or just software/firmware??

Regardless, I'm still looking forward to picking up my Epic fom Radio Shack.

t-minus 1 day 8 hours 57 minutes and counting.....
    Remember the unofficial Samsung Epic 4g motto: "If it's software, it's fixable; if it's hardware, you're screwed!"
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by caliskimmer View Post
    Remember the unofficial Samsung Epic 4g motto: "If it's software, it's fixable; if it's hardware, you're screwed!"
    I'm hoping for the earlier part of the motto rather than the latter.

Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I've seen all these features demoed in various you tube reviews. They're there. Just wait till Tuesday before we start throwing in the towel. I still think They will have another update out around then as well.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by 7droid-sigma View Post
    I'm hoping for the earlier part of the motto rather than the latter.
    Yes, the earlier part would be a much better situation than the latter! Well, looks like this one's a software problem, not hardware. I don't think Samsung used drastically different cameras on each of the Galaxy S phones and all should be capable of these settings.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vader4633 View Post
    I've seen all these features demoed in various you tube reviews. They're there. Just wait till Tuesday before we start throwing in the towel. I still think They will have another update out around then as well.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm not throwing any towels. Just making an observation. Can't wait till Tuesday....

t-minus 1 day 8 hours 35 minutes and counting....

Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Check out this video around 3:50 in, those features are there. Only another day!

Thanked by:
    c3PreO 
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

Check out this video around 3:50 in, those features are there. Only another day!

Lol, yeah.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Thanks for the video link, I hadn't seen it yet.

I paused it about where you said and BINGO! You nailed it. All of the features that I said was missing from the Epic User's Manual (pdf) was right there in the video.

That proves the Epic 4G Users Manual is missing some details on camera features.

It seems now that the camera features are probably the same on all Galaxy Class devices (except for the LED flash and maybe half press of the shutter button on the Epic). I was wondering why Samsung would make the camera different on the Epic compared to the other Galaxy phones...but you proved they're not.

Thanks!

Cool list of features though!

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

If you wanted more info on the camera here's BGR's review of the epic. They list pretty much all o the camera's features in it.

Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by steveholtam View Post
    Cool list of features though!
    +1 for your post! I never could have imagined 5 years ago that a phone camera could do so much.