Retina Versus Super Amoled

LiquidAppo

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
So with the release of the Epic 4g upon us, I was wondering, how does the retina display compare to Super Amoled? My captivate seems to look just as good or better when put next to its retina equipped adversary, but I'm curious to see what kind of notices you guys have seen, besides pixels, obviously. Pictures would be nice if you have them. ;)

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Retina-sharper, but terribly washed out and the viewing angles are awful
Super AMOLED- Text a bit fuzzier, but colors are beyond dazzling. Not to mention that one can view the phone at pretty much any angle.

LiquidAppo

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Another thing. It appears that the Retina display, like the S-Amoled, has the touch layer and the screen itself meshed together so it looks like everything is on top of the screen, not below a layer of touchscreen. Can anyone confirm this?

dvdqnoc

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
As many others would agree, I think the Super Amoled is better because of its bright, brilliant colors and extremely high contrast ratio. The screen just POPS! Yes, the iPhone's retina display has higher pixel density, meaning it is very clear and super small words are readable, but come on. How often are you gonna zoom out all the way and sit there reading the tiny font? No, you always zoom in a bit when reading text to a reasonable amount, which when doing on the epic, text reading is perfectly fine.

seistoes

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I compared both RD and SA side-by-side at an ATT store and to be honest they both looked great. Tested reading an e-book and changed their font to the smallest they had. I was able to read both perfectly well and could not dectect a difference. Very impressive Samsung!

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Colors on AMOLED are not calibrated colors what so ever. They are highly saturated..

Which is fine for a phone.

Have you seen how oversaturated Samsung TVs are? They look really nice at first glance, but it is very unrealistic. People like it though.

Personally, I think the contrast of SuperAMOLED is what really makes it stand out, especially on an OS like Android where a lot of it has a black background anyway.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463