Froyo Update and JIT

sinman02

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Now that a there's a leaked version of Froyo out for Galaxy S devices, I'm wondering if there's going to be a significant performance boost when it ultimately comes to the Epic. I've read some blurbs about how Froyo's JIT compiler is not optimized for Hummingbird processors and thus will not yield the same type of performance enhancement compared to HTC Snapdragon devices. Out of the box, it seems the Epic performs better than the Evo, but how does it compare with an Evo that's been updated to 2.2? Anyone?

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if its the jit or the benchmarks that give the low results. Case in point my d1 scores half of what an n1 does in linpack but in quadrant advanced the CPU score is the same if not better than an n1 on Froyo. While the jit is great I want the rest of 2.2 like full flash on this
Few hours until my local store opens time to try one on for size

Runningwarrior08

May 23, 2010
Visit site
No matter what JIT should make the phone faster. When it comes to not being coded correctly for the hummingbird, I wouldn't be able to comment on that. But what I will say is look at how the developer community has stepped up and fixes nearly everything the original phone makers forgot. So I am pretty sure that a number of developers will come out with Roms and Kernals that will utilize the Hummingbird to it's full potential. :)

ski2tee

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I just installed the 2.2 RUU on my Incredible and the speed increase is definitely noticeable. Apps install much faster and the phone in general is more responsive.

tyrran

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
From what I understand (based on reports from other 'Droid sites) the JIT sector of the update will NOT have a significant impact on the speed. You're correct: Hummingbird and JIT don't exactly meld, and the boost from its implimentation is minimal. The 2.2, however, will be the cornerstone of the Epic's overhaul. Everything I've seen points to the speed difference between 2.1 and 2.2 to be massive, and thus the Epic will go from lightspeed to ludicrous speed. Be prepared for plaid!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm