Not recognizing Epic 4g as a USB drive

mottroid

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
finally works

I am running windows 7 pro 64bit. I struggled with this all day yesterday and tried everything in the book I thought. Uninstall driver, reinstall drive, turn on and off usb debugging, called sprint tech support (useless). The usb continued to show up as "unknown" and drive was not visible in "my computer". Today I tried one of the USB ports in the rear of my desktop (before was using top and front) and it started to install the drivers and seemed to work. I still had USb debugging on so the removable drive hung in explorer when I tried to open it. I unmounted it and turned off USB debugging, plugged it back in, selected mass storage and I know can access the SD card. Only remnant of the problem I see is that windows failed to install the "samsung Android USB modem". I tested the top and front ports again and they still do not work, the only difference I can think of between them is that the back ports are not USB 2.0. there might be a compatibility issue with USB 2.0, just a guess.

Samsung driver here:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
How did you get it working in OSX? I cannot get it to work with or without usb debugging checked.

After you enable "USB Debugging" under Applications->Development and connect the Epic to your Mac, pull down the notification screen and Mount the SD card by tapping:

"USB connected
Select to copy files to/from your computer"

An icon will then appear on your desktop. Although after trying to copy some movies to my SD card from OSX, I've gotten a lot of random disconnects even with the phone on always-stay-awake.

odub303

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
After you enable "USB Debugging" under Applications->Development and connect the Epic to your Mac, pull down the notification screen and Mount the SD card by tapping:

"USB connected
Select to copy files to/from your computer"

An icon will then appear on your desktop. Although after trying to copy some movies to my SD card from OSX, I've gotten a lot of random disconnects even with the phone on always-stay-awake.

I have followed those steps. Nothing shows up either in my desktop or in my finder. Additionally, sometimes an error message pops up that says "the disk you inserted is not readable" which allows me to pull up Disk Utility. DU shows the SD card and the partition, but I cannot mount it. I have tried reformatting the card to no avail.

epbb

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
My computer at work and at home won't detect my Epic if I use the front jacks. They both will detect my Epic if I use the rear ones.

contestking

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
No USB support

I'm having the same problems, can't get Vista 64 bit to recongize the phone as a drive. I downloaded the driver off the Samsung website, didn't work. Called tech support, he told me there can be problems with 64 bit systems. This works on my Windows 7 32 bit system though. Hopefully 2.2 will fix this or they get a 64bit driver...

scumfrog

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I've had no luck with OS X 10.6.4. Got an error once but aside from that there is no recognizing the card when the phone is plugged in via USB. Works fine if I plug the card into the included adapter. I've used a couple different cables, some with ferrules and also the cable it shipped with but no love.

joosen

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Try this:
Unplug phone from computer
Uninstall the driver software.
Unplug anything that may be attached (For me, it was my SD card slot, and my other USB ports)
Reinstall the driver software
Then finally plug in your phone.

Worked for me. Running Win7 64bit

odub303

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I've had no luck with OS X 10.6.4. Got an error once but aside from that there is no recognizing the card when the phone is plugged in via USB. Works fine if I plug the card into the included adapter. I've used a couple different cables, some with ferrules and also the cable it shipped with but no love.

I am in the same spot as you, OS X 10.6.4 and there is just no making this happen lol.

scumfrog

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I am in the same spot as you, OS X 10.6.4 and there is just no making this happen lol.

Agreed. Not sure if they need to release a mac driver or what. I haven't tried on a Windows VM yet, guess that's next. I can live with using the adapter and plugging it straight in but if I were updating an iTunes library or something that'd get old fast.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

Works for me on Snow Leopard. Didn't work initially, then I realized the Samsung cable is very different than the Dare cable. I was able to transfer data with the LG Dare cable to the Dare, but when I used it with the Samsung, it doesn't work. I use the Dare cable for a car charger, original cable just for sharing files, dock for charging.

Here you go:
Screenshot2010-09-02at102313PM.png

Last edited:

odub303

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Works for me on Snow Leopard. Didn't work initially, then I realized the Samsung cable is very different than the Dare cable. I was able to transfer data with the LG Dare cable to the Dare, but when I used it with the Samsung, it doesn't work. I use the Dare cable for a car charger, original cable just for sharing files, dock for charging.

Here you go:
Screenshot2010-09-02at102313PM.png

I wish it was as simple as using the Samsung cable. I tried that but had no luck.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I wish it was as simple as using the Samsung cable. I tried that but had no luck.

Have you tried installing the SDK? Its really easy on the Mac. I'm trying to figure out differences between our computers. I only had the issue with a different cable, no issues since using the sammy cable. I've had the SDK installed for a while.