Can't receive Text + Picture while connected to WiFi

TehSuk

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Just picked up my epic today, I'm coming from AT&T & an iPhone.

I do a lot of text messaging & will frequently attach pictures to my texts. I found MMS messages with pictures attached would have a 'download' button next to the text message. Tapping download would return an error message saying the message could not be downloaded.

I noticed when this first happened that if I disconnected from the WiFi access point at home I could download the message. After leaving WiFi disconnected & getting another MMS with picture it would come through fine without being prompted for a download.

Enable wifi, get another text with picture, can't download.

I figured I'd call Sprint & see if there was a problem with my phone. After all, a friend with an Evo doesn't have the same problem & I was having a problem receiving any text messages after installing Launcher Pro (a reboot fixed that problem).

Sprint support put me on hold for a bit, came back, and told me that the phone was 'working as intended'.

:confused:

Can anyone else confirm this happens with their Epic? This might be a deal breaker for me...

vertcobra99

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem and turning off the wifi fixed it. However I have wifi connected all the time when I am home and this could prove to be anoying. Does anyoneelse have this problem?

dvdqnoc

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
This is a major issue indeed. There was a similar problem with the HTC Hero when it was first released, but it was unrelated to wi-fi. It just wouldnt recieve picture mail many times. It was fixed, however, with the 2.1 update (the updated which many people claim ruined their Hero's despit this fix).

TehSuk

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Regular texts (SMS) come through fine, MMS messages (text with attached picture or video) fail to download if you are connected to a WiFi access point.

You can download the picture after you get the text if you turn off WiFi first.

AndroidX

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
When on Wifi, you can't use Sprint's data network, which is how you receive MMS. Not sure if this can be "fixed" by Samsung, or is just how the phone works on Sprint's network, when using Wifi.

mrj

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
When on Wifi, you can't use Sprint's data network, which is how you receive MMS. Not sure if this can be "fixed" by Samsung, or is just how the phone works on Sprint's network, when using Wifi.

What he said, it's been a problem with all android phones on Sprint's network. It'll probably be fixed soon.

hucworld

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I also came to Sprint from an iPhone 4 to this phone. I had the same thing happen to me last night when a friend sent a pic message. Hopefully 2.2 fixes this...

Big_Red89#AC

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
This is something I believe both Sprint and Samsung need to address now! I think it's crap that you have to turn off Wi-fi in order to receive a picture!

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
Though I sucks it really isn't that big of an issue. You get notfied it just doesn't download. Pull down notification shade turn off wifi. Download then shade down wifi back on takes seconds. Although this shouldn't be needed. I had the same thing happen on Verizon with my Incredible I think it was and it was fixed in an update

DrSuSE

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I just encountered this issue (MMS only, SMS is fine)... what a let down. This I not universal to all Sprint phones... I have not encountered this on any and I have a Pre here now to verify.

Hopefully it is fixed soon.

DrSuSE

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Apparently the Epic handles connection types well enough to send mms when on wifi, just receivng is an issue. I haven't researched enough to know whether these phones are supposed to quietly enable mobile networks to handle mms functions then switch back to wifi (all in the background) or if it is something else. Whatever the process is, the Epic needs a fix for this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance