1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Possible Wi-Fi Bug (Or User Error)

I am having an issue with simultaneous Wi-Fi and voice. When I am on a phone call and I try to access any app that requires a data connection it immediately fails. I have tried disabling and re-enabling Wi-Fi but it did not fix the issue and it caused an odd issue with the audio cutting in and out for maybe a half second on and a half second off over and over until I disabled Wi-Fi completely.

Both times this has occurred when I was within 20 feet of my router so I don't think it is a signal issue. I am using a Netgear WNR-3500L running DD-WRT v24-sp2. The router worked well with my previous handset (Palm Pre) but it was only 802.11G. I do have other 802.11n devices on the network but this is the only handset.

I am new to the Android world so maybe I'm doing something wrong. I hope so because I really want to love this phone. Any ideas?

You might want to trade in your phone just to be safe. Knowing Samsung, this might be a software bug that every phone has and will never be fixed.
    Thanked by:
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

Sprint CANNOT do voice and data at the same time except over 4g. Nothing should be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by caliskimmer View Post
    Sprint CANNOT do voice and data at the same time except over 4g. Nothing should be wrong.
    He's trying to use WiFi and Voice. It should work.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by arashed31 View Post
    He's trying to use WiFi and Voice. It should work.
    Isn't that still the same thing in a way? Let me check right now. I'll report back in a few.

EDIT: It works.
    Last edited by caliskimmer; 08-31-2010 at 11:39 PM.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by caliskimmer View Post
    Isn't that still the same thing in a way? Let me check right now. I'll report back in a few.

EDIT: It works.
    Thank you for testing. I knew that the Pre would do Wi-Fi and voice but wasn't sure about the Epic. I'm just glad it's not a bug across all the Epic handsets.

I guess I'll swing by the store after work and see what they can do.

Thank you all for your replies.

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

It should work, wasn't an issue on the Hero, except that its wifi card had to be the worst one ever put in a cell phone. The Pre's was definitely better than that. I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know if its a software bug or not.

I've had this problem too. I think you need to be using wifi 1st then get the call. (then it works) If you have the call THEN enable wifi then try to stream data it may not work. I would consider that a bug in my book and I've had it happen.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Upon testing it here at work, I cannot reproduce the issue when connected to our wireless network. For the record, we use Linksys WAP54Gs flashed with DD-WRT so I don't think it's the firmware on my Netgear but who knows. The APs here at work are 802.11G and not N, like my home router, so maybe that is playing into the equation. I'll do some more testing when I get home to see what might be causing it to occur with my router.

I cannot thank you guys enough for helping out with testing. I was worried about leaving the Pre community because they were so tight knit but I think I have found a new home here at AndroidCentral.

As a side note, my back button now works great since I removed the Zagg cover in preparation for my trip to the repair depot. I hate to have an unprotected screen (I know I am being paranoid since it has Gorilla Glass) but I may have to roll with it uncovered for the sake of my sanity. It was driving me nuts to have to hit the back button multiple times.