Locks up every few minutes

aprresley

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
We ran over to RS and picked up the Epic 4G reserved, had it up and running within a few minutes, and I handed it over to my wife to play with. 30 minutes later, it completely locked up ... nothing was installed other than changing the background picture to an animation, and she had figured out how to download and install a Sudoku application.

I turned off the animated background, and she went back to playing with it, and tried to watch some Sprint TV. Opened a channel, and it locked up. So, we tried the camera ... took a few "Action Shots", and it locked up.

Then, it started locking up immediately after reboot. IE, reboot, switch from one "page" to another, and it locked up. I managed (after several tries) to get ATK installed, but even that didn't help any ... it still locks up.

This morning, I tried a "soft reset" (I cannot get the hard reset to work by holding down the volume button). Haven't installed or set up the market place or Android, no 3rd party apps, and it still locks up.

Any ideas? Headed to return the phone shortly ....

aprresley

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
No Luck

Sorry, that's what I meant by a "soft reset" ... actually, after doing the factory reset, it immediately locked up, rebooted, locked up, rebooted, and was in a cycle of locking up, and about 2 seconds later, it rebooted. I had to pull the battery to get it to stop, powered it back on, launched the browser, and it froze.

Rebooted again, launched Sprint TV, and it froze.

Wife is taking it back to radio shack, I don't know what else to do.

sushi

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I used mine heavily yesterday with zero lockups except for the occasional 3rd party app freeze (where the app was written poorly). I would take it and exchange for another.

phooi

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Epic Crashes!!

Hi All,

I'm new to Android with the Epic being my first. The problem I'm encountering is that the phone locks up. It's strange because the screen will go black and the capacitive buttons will stop working. My only solution has been to pull out the battery and restart the phone. This has happened twice in 2 days. The first time I think I was running Google Maps/Navigation and today I believe it locked up when I was trying to launch Reqall.

Is anyone else having similar problems? Is there a way to reboot the phone without pulling out the battery?

Thanks!

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
You do realize the phone times out after a user defined amount of time?

I have to hit the button on the upper right side to wake it up again.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
You do realize the phone times out after a user defined amount of time?

I have to hit the button on the upper right side to wake it up again.

I would have posted this, but I assumed that he would have known that already. Thanks for helping out!

dvdqnoc

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
*sigh* I have heard of this being a frequently occuring issue on the Droid X... I was hoping we wouldn't see it on the new Samsung line devices but here we are

phooi

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Power on and off or install fast reset.

That might work if the screen was active. I pushed the power button and it brings up options including "Power Off". I touched the screen and nothing happens.

Thus I had to pull the battery... Is there a hardware (button) way to reset the phone a la iPhone (I hate to use the reference here)?

phooi

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I would have posted this, but I assumed that he would have known that already. Thanks for helping out!

Uh... Yeah. I think I could have figured that one out. I've been on the Android boards for a while now researching the phone/OS.

I'm an Apple/PC user and decided to go with Android to 1) learn a new OS and 2) use it to tether my wifi enabled devices.

Caliskimmer -- How do you do a factory reset on the phone? Will it delete all of my downloaded apps? I have spent the last two days customizing the phone to my liking... Thanks!

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Uh... Yeah. I think I could have figured that one out. I've been on the Android boards for a while now researching the phone/OS.

I'm an Apple/PC user and decided to go with Android to 1) learn a new OS and 2) use it to tether my wifi enabled devices.

Caliskimmer -- How do you do a factory reset on the phone? Will it delete all of my downloaded apps? I have spent the last two days customizing the phone to my liking... Thanks!

since the customizing may be the cause you are better off doing a factory or rtn. I am getting no lock ups.

best strategy is to add one thing at a time, use it for a day back it up, add somethign else. so you have additions and changes backed up incrementally so you can back up to last stable.