How-To Stream videos/music/pictures to your Epic using Windows

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Windows media player does a good job at streaming your content in your library on home computer to other devices like ps3 and now, your Samsung Epic 4G (or any other Galaxy S device). Windows 7 directions are different, and that is what I am currently using so here is what I have found that needs to be done.
You will need to be on the same network obviously. If you're like me and have multiple wireless routers in the house, then you need to be connected to the same router.
Step 1: Get your media in your library. It should already be there, but if it isn't get it there
Step 2: Select "Stream" from the top bar and select Automatically allow devices to play my media (thats it on the computer end, skip next step). If you are like me and didn't have this as an option... then you need to do some more work. Select More Streaming Options.
Step 3: You're going to need to be on a Home Network. If your computer is seeing your network as something else, than change it to home. If you're at work... well, why aren't you working?!
Then you will need to select file and printer sharing. Next, you will need to select what type of files you want to share. And once that is complete, you can then select Automatically allow devices to play my media.
Step 4: Open the AllShare app and select the second option (Play file from server on my phone). Your computer should show up on the server list.
You're all set! Music videos downloaded from iTunes work, which is a good thing cause staring at the black screen when music is playing is kinda dull. You can do something else while you're streaming though if you want.

Last edited:

debello

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Technically? Probably. You'd have to do technical stuff like setting up a VPN between the phone and the computer / router... but it probably *could* be done.

Just use ORB (either the app or website), you are able to stream music, video and access your documents from your cellphone or any computer that you are near.