Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Android Supporter

Global Posts
    233 Global Posts

Default Considering ......

this is just a general question but i wanted to know what other people are doing
    I'm thinking about taking out a 3rd line to get the Epic for my wife who has the Hero right now it would Boost my bill to 150.00 a month or should i consider just buying the phone with her $75 off upgrade?
    Any advice is welcomed
    "live by the Creed"
    PSN id:Jase
    QIK id:jase313

EVO

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

I'm thinking about doing the same thing. My wife has $75 off for an upgrade, but when I try to upgrade it doesn't give me any rebate. The Epic is showing a price of $425 ($499- $75) for her with contract renewal. I thought it would be $325 ($499 - $75 - $100 rebate), but I guess you only get the rebate on the premier line.

So I can pay $425 with extended contract, or pay $250 with new line, plus $20 month for additional line. Her current contract ends in 10 months so thats $450 total ($250 phone + $200 3rd line), and we get the benefit of letting the kids use the third line.

If she decides to upgrade we'll probably add a line.

How much are you paying now? Do you have a use for that third line besides getting the phone for $250? How much longer until she can upgrade for $250? Can you afford the new line comfortably, remember it's a 2 year commitment!

I guess that depending on the answers to those questions whether it is worth it or not. If you add the third line you will save $250 upfront, which divided over 24 months (the length of the new contract you will be signing) will be about $10 a month. By having a new line are you spending more than $10 extra a month? If so I think it's counterproductive.

If you pay upfront ($500) without using the upgrade then you get to keep and be eligible for an upgrade sooner. By buying full cost you are paying $250 extra upfront but you have the freedom of keeping both your lines without adding a third one and you also don't renew your contract. I think (but not sure) there's a way of adding the payment of the phone to your bill which if you do it over 12 months will be about an extra $20 a month. I think this option may be better, but in the end it's up to you.

Hope this helps and good luck with your decision.

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    ROM
    cm7

Quote Originally Posted by lousyshot View Post
    I'm thinking about doing the same thing. My wife has $75 off for an upgrade, but when I try to upgrade it doesn't give me any rebate. The Epic is showing a price of $425 ($499- $75) for her with contract renewal. I thought it would be $325 ($499 - $75 - $100 rebate), but I guess you only get the rebate on the premier line.

So I can pay $425 with extended contract, or pay $250 with new line, plus $20 month for additional line. Her current contract ends in 10 months so thats $450 total ($250 phone + $200 3rd line), and we get the benefit of letting the kids use the third line.

If she decides to upgrade we'll probably add a line.
    You only get the $100 rebate if your doing a full upgrade of $150 not a partial one of $75