LED Notification length of time...

excalis

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I could have sworn that the the LED would blink until you acknowledge the missed message or call. It seems that it lights for a few, then pulses quckly, then off and no longer blinks, is this the case for everyone else?

If it does stay lit until said acknowledgement for other folks, then maybe I have an app that has changed the length of time for it to stay on perhaps? I have made sure that the task killer is not interfering with it.

If this is how it works then maybe I just assumed it would stay lit like on my Palm Pre and HTC Aria.

Thanks!

njfoses

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately the led does stop blinking after a short time. Even worse i tried a few apps including missed call that works perfectly on my evo and none seemed to work properly on the epic. Once the repeat notification started the sound played over and over again constantly with total disregard to the interval setting. Anybody found an app that works for reminders?

plainbrad

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I could have sworn that the the LED would blink until you acknowledge the missed message or call. It seems that it lights for a few, then pulses quckly, then off and no longer blinks, is this the case for everyone else?

This and the dumb lock screen [replacing it with Widget Locker] are my only complaints about the phone so far. It isn't just the short duration but that I cannot seem to customize the color. We know it does blue from charging but all I can get is red.

excalis

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply guys, just wanted to make sure that was the case. Someone else at XDA had the same question as well.

At least it has some kind of LED, my Captivate didn't which I thought sucked arse. All of my other phones had a great LED feature, maybe they will fix it :)

Thanks for the replies!

excalis

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Just an FYI, installed the Handcent app and my LED now stays on until I acknowledge it. It did not give me the color I wanted (blue) but it keeps it on :)

Awesome, I think I will donate to the software maker for support, and this also shows that it could be fixed through an update as well on Samsung's side.

redalert825

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
hopefully it isn't just me, but my notification light used to work and now it's stopped. i hate having to constantly press the power button to check if im issed a call or text while at work. it used to blink red before... is that right? :(

excalis

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Yea it blinks Red, and by the way, it is still turning off after a few blinks. I guess I will have to keep looking into this. :(

ap77

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I've found that it continues to blink but that there are somewhat lengthy delays between "rounds" of blinking.

egiodr

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
So I discovered that if you press one of the volume buttons after that LED has decided to turn off, that it will light up for a second if you have a notification. I beats having to turn the screen on and off to see if you have a message. I think I can put up with that until they fix it. Plus it conserves battery this way.

excalis

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Just a quick update on this LED light deal. I did a recovery on my phone to allow the OTA update to come through (was rooted and had some Sprint apps missing) and now it seems that the LED light stays on until you acknowledge the missed text (havent tested missed calls).

So, some of the differences are of course what I mentioned above but also the following:

Now have Swype as the default keyboard (switched to the Android one before as I like it more)

Google Voice is installed now but not setup (before I had it setup and handling calls, etc)

No longer rooted

I am thinking though that it has something to do with Google Voice. Maybe it handled the notification differently and thus pulsed the LED for a bit then turned it off. I have tested the LED already quite a bit and it stays on until I clear it.

I will not be setting up Google Voice as I like keeping the LED on as that is what I look for when my phone is silent and on my desk at work.

I am tempted to set it up though to see if it indeed is the cause though.

*update*

Missed call LED notification stays on until you clear it as well :)

It is also possible the OTA update fixed the issue also.

Last edited:

excalis

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I setup Google Voice and LED still works so not sure what it was. But it does stay on and others have had it go off after a few blinks.

excalis

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I did have it installed at one time but then removed it, maybe it left some residual setting perhaps?

I don't know but it bugs me because working in I.T. I want to know what the cause was in case it happens again. I love having it stay lit till I clear it. Some folks in the XDA forums had mentioned it also.

ARRGHHHH! I am wondering if the update fixed it but do not know what the offical fix list was.

jjthe2

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think the update fixed the LED notifications. I noticed right away that they were broken when I got the phone, even prior to rooting, and I never had google voice, zedge, etc. Immediately after applying the OTA update I noticed they were fixed.

excalis

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
That is awesome, plus another thing I noticed was that if I have the phone hooked into my laptop as mass storage or whatever and I receive a text it has like a ring alert now, or at least I never recalled hearing it do that.

Kinda neat.

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
If this is true this is awesome! Definitely one of my biggest complaints with the initial issue of the phone... I'll be sure to check / test this out today when I get home

jjthe2

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Of course it's still half broken because no LED notifications will come through when plugged in. I don't suppose anyone knows if it is possible to suppress the charging light when plugged in? I'd much rather have the notification blink instead of a light that tells me I just plugged in the phone, I know it's plugged in... because I just plugged it in.

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I'd much rather have the notification blink instead of a light that tells me I just plugged in the phone, I know it's plugged in... because I just plugged it in.

This...

I always thought that was pretty pointless and hope it's a fix coming in the near future

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy