Are you guys actually using your keyboard

mikachu

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Title says it all. Now i didnt get this phone for the keyboard, but the onscreen keyboard and swype are just amazing. I love the haptic feedback, once of the best. Swype is so good I honestly rarely using my Physical Keyboard, just wondering if anyone else in the same boat?

Now, I do use it occasionally when entering passwords. And im sure soon when i start writing long messages Ill use the it, unless swype is good for long messages too.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't like swype cause it doesn't recognize much of what I type to log-in to things. I use the keyboard almost exclusively. Just not when apps don't support landscape mode.

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
I use Swype for short texts and such. I use the keyboard for longer messages and log-in things which is a nuisance on Swype.

ejohnnyk

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
It's funny, I really haven't been using the hard keyboard that much.

The virtual keyboard is quite intuitive and responsive and gets the job done nicely.

I did have to compose a few lengthy e-mails today -- and the hard keyboard was a must -- glad I have it even though I doubt I'll use it for texting that much.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
i use it 80% of the time . main reason for getting this phone too for me... i like swype but sometims its a pain. but its also my first time with it si need to get use to it....

punzada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I've been splitting it up around 50/50 it's more situational if I use it or not at this point (entering case-sensitive password or lots of data - hardware, typical quick use, on-scree/swype).

I've shocked myself at how much I've used the onscreen stuff, made me realize I *could* of dealt with not having the physical keyboard but I still like it for when I'm chatting on meebo or irc.

Monsterr

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I use the hard keyboard constantly.

I don't really like the capacitives on the Epic to much, so the 4 side buttons are SO useful.

Not to mention the application shortcuts which i LOVE.

I like swype and use it when i am walking or dont feel like popping the keyboard out.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Between Swype and the extra real estate compared to the iPhone, I find the virtual keyboard to be more than adequate. I am also using Google Voice for short messages. I keep forgetting there's a full blown boss keyboard under the hood!

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
The virtual keyboard is OK, and by saying OK that means its one of the best I have used being as I HATE virtual keyboards. Swype on the other hand is not my friend and I dont think it ever will be. For some reason no matter how much I try it always comes out with typos. As for usage % I would say 95% physical keyboard and 5% portrait virtual. Sometimes Im just to lazy to type in small sentences (5 words or less) so I use the virtual keyboard for those short texts or data entry. Still not a virtual fan AT ALL.

kc8flb

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I have been using keyboard smartphones for about 10 years. I loved the treo form factor and I was very efficient at typing on those keyboards. I purposely waited for the epic because of the keyboard.

I am actually shocked at how much I am using swype. I use the real keyboard for longer posts, but I use swype for text messaging and other stuff. Manually using the on screen keyboard(without swype) really sucks. I am glad I waited for the physical keyboard. Swype plus a physical keyboard is an awesome combo.

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
Actually I'm using the keyboard quite a bit more than i thought I would, like 70% keyboard, 30% swype. Swype is awesome, but because I tend to text in landscape mode, I use the keyboard often. I use swype exclusively when I text in portrait mode.

One thing I miss from the Evo is HTC's version of the android keyboard.

HAAS599

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Swype is the king of 1-handed typing and the slide-out keyboard dominates the 2-handed realm.

I love when you start typing on the slide-out keyboard it automatically goes into google search on the home screen or in the market

rldev

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I have been using keyboard smartphones for about 10 years. I loved the treo form factor and I was very efficient at typing on those keyboards. I purposely waited for the epic because of the keyboard.

I am actually shocked at how much I am using swype. I use the real keyboard for longer posts, but I use swype for text messaging and other stuff. Manually using the on screen keyboard(without swype) really sucks. I am glad I waited for the physical keyboard. Swype plus a physical keyboard is an awesome combo.

Have you tried Smarter keyboard from the market. It is actually very good.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
One of the major reasons I bought this phone was because it has a physical keyboard. However, for whatever reason, I make far mistakes with the on-screen keyboard with this phone, than I did with both the Droid X and the EVO. The only thing I can think of is that the extra thickness is more ergonomic for me and makes it easier to type. I prefer the stock keyboard vs Swype, which is also something I thought I'd never say. Again I have a higher level of accuracy with this keyboard.

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm about 70-30 in favor of the virtual keyboard (usage wise)... I'm actually a little surprised (pleasantly) in how great the VK is... very responsive, and Swype works pretty well when I actually remember to try it out...

elbaso

Apr 14, 2010
about.me
I was very surprised by how good Swype turned out to be, especially after watching the tutorial videos.

Much to my surprise, I'm using Swype around 90% of the time. I basically use it anytime I'm typing real words, and using the hardware keyboard for passwords and non-English words.

bevorules

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
This is my first touchscreen phone. With that being said, I was able to master Swype quickly, and now I love it! Maybe it's just the novelty of wiping my finger around the screen to type the messages.

For long emails and logins, I use the keyboard. Ultimately, I use the touchscreen about 90% of the time. The keyboard is slightly faster, but for texting and short notes, the time it takes to pop the keyboard in and out makes up the difference.