Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

Default Battery continues to drop while charging the phone and using it at the same time?

Should the phones battery continue to drop while I am using it and it is plugged in to the wall charging?

I started at 10% and the battery completely drained and died while plugged in charging and me using the phone? Using I mean nothing heavy, just changing permissions and refresh settings on apps trying to make the battery last longer.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

What was the source of power? Wall outlet, USB, or car charger? If it was a USB charger it only supplies .5A, which is not enough to charge and use the phone at the same time when the battery is dead. If it was the wall charger, I'm not sure :/
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

It was the wall charger.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    What was the source of power? Wall outlet, USB, or car charger? If it was a USB charger it only supplies .5A, which is not enough to charge and use the phone at the same time when the battery is dead. If it was the wall charger, I'm not sure :/
    Macs and Macbooks have enough power. I used/charged yesterday while only plugged into my iMac and it charged just fine.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

Thanks for the infos...

Heh..my dad is ready to strangle me. I talked him into the epic and his battery life has been horrendous. I may end up giving him my Evo and taking his epic, just to get some silence. He does have every right to be upset, his battery last maybe 4 hours with very little use. So I am just trying to figure out what is draining the battery.

One thing that looks odd is his mobile hotspot services are always running, and can not be force closed. It’s greyed out, is this normal on the epic?

I've been noticing this in the car- the car keeps enough juice to stream my podcast or make a phone call- but unplug the phone... DEAD. Evo and Pre could take on enough to charge AND multitask in the car. I wonder if this is why they have that samsung extra battery+charging kit- perhaps they knew it couldn't overcharge? This phone does take the most time to charge than any phone.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by zense View Post
    Thanks for the infos...

Heh..my dad is ready to strangle me. I talked him into the epic and his battery life has been horrendous. I may end up giving him my Evo and taking his epic, just to get some silence. He does have every right to be upset, his battery last maybe 4 hours with very little use. So I am just trying to figure out what is draining the battery.

One thing that looks odd is his mobile hotspot services are always running, and can not be force closed. It’s greyed out, is this normal on the epic?
    That's odd, my mom got 17 hours yesterday with little usage. Did you do a battery switch? If we did a battery switch, that would equal about 34 hours with bluetooth and gps running all day.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

I have not swapped out bateries yet, was thinking of calling Sprint to see if they would swap the battery.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Yeah the service is running, but unless it's enabled it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I did make a few suggestions in the FAQ, in regards to battery life, you might want to check out.
    Thanked by:
    Zindoh 
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

I have not swapped out bateries yet, was thinking of calling Sprint to see if they would swap the battery.
    Good idea. My Sprint store immediately gave me a free replacement battery, even though I wasn't having battery problems in the first place to apologize. Then they replaced my phone and gave me the extra stuff that's in the box. Quality service? I think so. I hope you get the same customer service as I did. The problem should be fixed in no time.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

Oh, also try out Juice Defender. Although I haven't fully set it up, I heard some Incredible users praising the app and saying that their battery life doubled.

My Evo did the same thing folks. Its not the hardware its all the add ons that everyone seems to want today that drains the battery. These phones are to complex for such small batteries but what is the alternative strapping the thing to a 12v car battery?
    Samsung Epic
    HTC Evo
    RIM Storm II
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetterMost View Post
    My Evo did the same thing folks. Its not the hardware its all the add ons that everyone seems to want today that drains the battery. These phones are to complex for such small batteries but what is the alternative strapping the thing to a 12v car battery?
    Damn, I thought you were banned. Oh well...

Sir my evo rocks a good 14 hours with pretty heavy use, I am sure the Epic will do the same once I am able to figure out what is going on with it.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

I am inclined to think my dads battery is just bad.

I have confirmed the following:

No 4g
    No GPS
    No Bluetooth
    Google talk signed out
    Sprint Zone only updates at launch
    Only 2 mail accounts, gmail is push yahoo check interval is set to never.
    No twitter
    No Facebook
    Screen times out in 2 minutes
    Screen brightness is set to 20%
    Only thing in Account Synch is Gmail, contacts and calendar.
    I have bump charged it several times

Any other suggestions? Just waiting for Sprint to call me back regarding a new battery.

I'm on my second Epic. Either the batteries that were shipped in the first batch were defective or there is something running on these phones that causes rapid drain. the phone is otherwise perfect for me.

Damn, I thought you were banned. Oh well...

Sir my evo rocks a good 14 hours with pretty heavy use, I am sure the Epic will do the same once I am able to figure out what is going on with it.
    I agree. Believe it or not, my Evo was pretty good on battery life too. With the Epic ... it's DONE in 4 hours. It drains even when it's just sitting there with NO USAGE. For the life of me, I can't understand what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by symplistik View Post
    I agree. Believe it or not, my Evo was pretty good on battery life too. With the Epic ... it's DONE in 4 hours. It drains even when it's just sitting there with NO USAGE. For the life of me, I can't understand what's going on.
    Perhaps it is sitting in a bad signal area?
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by BetterMost View Post
    Exactly, freedom (open-source OS) comes with a price.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by symplistik View Post
    Probably a lemon of a battery. I second your post about the EVO. I had very good battery life.

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

I had this happen to me today as well...phone was charging on USB while attempting to download Dungeon Hunter (for like the 20th time) on the 4G/3G network. Screen was off and then saw the battery icon appear on my screen out of the corner of my eye. I unplugged the phone to take a look at it and noticed it wouldn't come on, so I switched the phone to the wall charger and it finally would stay on. WTF?!
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

Why can't phone companies focus on battery technology for once? What good will a phone be with a 2ghz processor, 1 gb ram, 32gb rom, non-Pentile Matrix super AMOLED display with a resolution of 1280x720 when you'll only get 2 hours of battery life?