Poor GPS performance.

punzada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I started using my Epic to go on calls for the second half of my day during work (went and picked my up during my lunch break). Turn by turn was very responsive in both google nav and sprint nav (google nav did once stop responding but a quick back and hitting navigation again put me right back on track). So far I have no complaints in terms of GPS (haven't yet enabled use wireless networks).

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: Epic 4G an Epic Failure

My phone's GPS is dead accurate. I don't understand how some are having problems while others are fine :-!

Sent from my awesome Epic 4G

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't understand either. I've been around for a while now, and I had the same problems regardless of how the GPS settings were configured. The Droid, EVO, and Droid X just worked out of the box with no tweaks at all.

Last edited:

evoKY

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
My wifes gps is also dead accurate on her Epic.... from what I can tell the OP has returned a Nexus One (per his previous post on here), Evo and now the Epic. Good luck OP...you've been using cell phones since the turn of man kind I'm sure you'll find one for your 20 hour a day internet habit.

Cel

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Mine is... ...not accurate...

Has me a few miles west of where I am... Not a deal breaker for me, will doubt I'll ever turn it on. But I could see it being a dealbreaker for some.

Cel

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Turned off the phone and then back on after turning on the correct settings, plopped me right on my house! nice!

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Ive been using G-maps for a few hours finding target off by 30 meters - 98 feet.

That's unacceptable Samsung failed to deliver sure GPS function.

androidpirate

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
what should really make people mad is that the samsung moment also suffered from GPS problem 2 or 1.5 years ago. samsung never bothered to fix it then and now thinks it can become a major player in the mobile phone business. obviously all cellphones will have problems when they launch but this issue goes beyond this phone cycle.

I won't be buying one till they fix the issue. seriously, i can't upgrade till january. i want this phone. :-(

Last edited:

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
How odd! How can some phones be off, yet the others dead accurate? Cory is also not one of those reviewers. He obviously knows his way around any of these superphones. When Samsung tested, they probably had one of the Epics that could register a location with pinpoint accuracy. For this I owe an apology to Aero, as it turns out he was almost completely correct, except for the few that actually can lock on dead on. What I don't get is that isn't this a software issue and not hardware?

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
How odd! How can some phones be off, yet the others dead accurate? Cory is also not one of those reviewers. He obviously knows his way around any of these superphones. When Samsung tested, they probably had one of the Epics that could register a location with pinpoint accuracy. For this I owe an apology to Aero, as it turns out he was almost completely correct, except for the few that actually can lock on dead on. What I don't get is that isn't this a software issue and not hardware?
I think many don't know what to look for.

Users need to opens google maps select my location tab ,The blue inductor dot will displays on your current location then user needs to tap on blue dot.
Box will display accuracy in meters.
Unfortunately mines reading 30 meters , On my 9630 , 9650 & EVO I would get within 2 meters.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
When i first turned on sprint nav to see my location . i was inside,(where the nav on my pre didnt really work with the wifi in the house.) So when my epic showed me in kansas city , i check to see if i had my red shoes on.I live in Westchester NY . But when i turn on google nav and took a trip into NJ it worked fine and was on point.

I love this phone.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Waaait a second. What GPS app are you guys using?

Google Maps.

I think many don't know what to look for.

Users need to opens google maps select my location tab ,The blue inductor dot will displays on your current location then user needs to tap on blue dot.
Box will display accuracy in meters.

Yep, and it showed me in the middle of a lake that was a mile away. I swear I wasn't in it.

i bet $10 he did not enable wireless networks setting in the gps as mentioned by engadget

I'll PM you my address ;)

Seriously folks, I have yet to see a device come out that was perfect. There is always something that is a huge deal to certain groups of people. The EVO with it's battery, light leakage, etc., the rage in the Incredible forums was the battery life, the Droid had its issues, etc. etc. etc. Some people said they had the problems while others didn't. This is nothing new. With GPS specifically, put me in the group where GPS is a big deal. I rely on it heavily and I know the difference between having a setting enabled or not. I would like to say that I know what I'm talking about, as this is Android device #6 for me. Does the Epic suck? Absolutely not! Contrary it's one of the best Android phones available, but if you rely on GPS to get you around, don't be surprised if you run into some issues. Try it for yourself and forget what everyone in here says.

tsifu

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I thought that all of the Galaxy S devices have this problem? I believe that Samsung is supposed to be working on a software fix and not the carrier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol