Poor GPS performance.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm. Like I said mine took ~1min to lock on and my pre was about the same (all depends on signal). Have you set it down while serching and waited longer then say 5 mins? Is data working fine? If so and still no gps I would honestly take it to sprint and have them look at it.

egeorge1

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I got it working on mine finally, thanks njnygiants for the link to the review! I just hadn't enabled the wireless network setting under location. Now I will just need to test it for accuracy.

murso74

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
i'm in queens ny.. mine works pretty horribly. the first time i used it it locked in a decent amount of time... but not since then.

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Make sure your google location services is on in the settings.

Actually make sure it is NOT. that gives you tower triangulation -- not GPS!
This is a serious board please don't post bogus spin. Captivate has just as (in)accurate tower triangulable too!

Reactions: lbm323

camtah

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I just took my first road trip with the Epic. I started with my current location set via GPS and I had Network assist on.

I used Sprint Navigation and Google Navigation as my test programs.

My static location was around 100-200 yards from my actual location. Comparing to my Treo Pro, this is bad since the TP put me right on my deck.

I then took a ride around the neighborhood. I have navigation in my vehicle as well. The Epic was slow to update and lagged as much as a football length behind while in motion. As I slowed up, it caught up until I moved forward again. Again. on the same route, the Treo Pro worked nearly as well as the in vehicle navigation. It did falter a little going under a bridge, but it caught up quickly, much faster than the the Epic. It should be noted that the Treo was never known for it's GPS performance.

I can only conclude that there may be something to the GPS issues on the entire Galaxy line. Some may conclude that the differences are marginal. I submit that there is an expectation that is being met by some phones that others do not quite match up to.

Reactions: lbm323

coolbreezy

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I used the phone for 3 hours all over chicago city & it kept showing me in Schaumburg, Barrington & palatine. These are about 15-25 miles SW of chicago. Every one is entitled to their opinion, however I am a hard core Internet & navigation user on the phone. This phone left me a real sour flavor in my mouth.

yes activated another phone at best buy & took the sales person outside the store with me. Stood there for 10 minutes with Google maps & sprint navigation. GPS was showing me in Barrington off 90 W, which is about 35 miles from where I was. The sale rep asked if i wanted the Blackberry 9650 back. I am really heart broken as I was looking forward to Epic since the failure of EVO due to poor battery.

folks i agree. this man seriously needs a gps. those towns are all west by northwest of chicago and 31-37 miles away from chicago.

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Re: Epic 4G an Epic Failure

That's what I'm wondering! I think it's pretty unusual.

Sent from my awesome Epic 4G

Used mytracks this morning and the gps worked perfectly. I'm not going to lose any sleep overwhy it isn't working for others. Honestly, I think reviewers just whine to get page hits.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

ippikiokami

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Just got the phone today :( and tried the gps now.. It's been about 5 minutes in google nav and i still haven't gotten a gps lock on it..

wth... i made the jump from the evo after seeing that it was supposedly fixed.

rldev

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Just got the phone today :( and tried the gps now.. It's been about 5 minutes in google nav and i still haven't gotten a gps lock on it..

wth... i made the jump from the evo after seeing that it was supposedly fixed.

I have the same problem sometimes, but not that extreme. Sometimes it can take 2 minutes to get a lock. Oddly if I turn the GPS after getting a lock and then turn it back on a minute later, I acquire a lock immediately.

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
GPS not working on mine.. turned on the wireless network option. google maps searches for a while and reports back My position cannot be determined. WTF I was standing by my porch door.

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Finally tracked down a location, except it's about 3/4 mile north of where I am..

The GPS in this phone is wack as hell. I hope the Sept fix they promised also includes some tweaking for the EPIC.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The simple fix which I've found is to first initialize GPS Test. Once you do this any GPS application I've tried works dead nuts perfect and with an instantaneous lock on.

I think the problem may be that for whatever reason, the phone currently by itself isn't initializing the GPS properly.

Sitting at my desk right now I have 11 sats in view and the phone is reading 9 of them.

BetterMost#AC

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Im still trying to figure out these "GPS Issues" I have had TWO Epics and I have no GPS issues. Every time I have tried the GPS its worked flawless with pin point accuracy. You know in order for the GPS to work properly the phone must be OUTSIDE and pointing to the sky and even heavy cloud cover can hamper any GPS system into mis reading your location.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad