epic keyboard issues

gigatigga

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Hello everyone. I got my epic yesterday and seem to be having keyboard issues. It only happens with the physical keyboard. It seems to just miss keys. I know that I am hitting them because I can actively watch it not register the press. It seems to do this with all the keys not just a certain few. And the space bar included. Is this a known issue? Anyone else experiencing this problems? Thanks.

IIJBII

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I've also noticed this with my Epic. I think it may be when you type too fast? Just a guess but mine seems to be the same way. Its frustrating.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

gigatigga

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Yeah it is when typing fast. But I thought that was the purpose of the keyboard. Well at least I'm not the only one. Guess ill stick to the on screen keyboard :/

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah it is wh
en typing fast. But I thought that was the purpose of the keyboard. Well at least I'm not the only one. Guess ill stick to the on screen keyboard :/

That's one of the things about physical keyboards that I don't like. If you are a fast typist, sotimes your presses won't register because you haven't completely present the key all the way down. It's not something we have to worry about using the keyboard on a capacitive screen.

ThomasT626

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
No problems here and I've been using it quite a bit. Pretty quick on the keys too. The only issue I have is accidentally missing the space bar sometimes and hitting the period. Overall though, love the look and feel of the keyboard. Best I've used for sure, though I'd like to get some more hands on time with the Droid 2's board just to compare.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
No problems here and I've been using it quite a bit. Pretty quick on the keys too. The only issue I have is accidentally missing the space bar sometimes and hitting the period. Overall though, love the look and feel of the keyboard. Best I've used for sure, though I'd like to get some more hands on time with the Droid 2's board just to compare.

I would say that the Droid 2's keyboard is just as good. Between the two devices, I think that the Droid 2 has the betterbuild quality, but the Epic has the better specs.

ejohnnyk

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed this a few times. I think it's because I'm typing fast... and the Epic's keyboard is so big.

The combination of fast typing and the larger travel and you're bound to make mistakes.

I haven't noticed any unresponsive, definite key presses, though.

yellowxboy

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Haha, I'm so glad that this is not just me.I'm so used to speed typing on my blackberry that when I bought my Epic, it would skip letters when I typed.but I've been using sype for awhile now and I love it!

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
My keyboard is DEFINITELY missing button presses. Even when I re-press sometimes it doesn't register. How could they screw up the keyboard? Honestly?

njbianco#AC

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
The first couple days I had some problems but after getting used to it I havent had any problems and can type almost as fast as my old Blackberry 9630.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I am pretty feverous on the keys and I don't havd keys miss at all. But I will admit that I have had a few errors learning this keyboard. As fo the build quaility of the epic and the droid 2 ill say I love the metal chassis of the droid 2 but I don't think its built better. The keyboard is ok at best and the slider isn't great either. But its still a great phone and if I was on vzw it would be my phone.

gigatigga

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I have stopped using the physical keyboard because its so irratic. It happens when I'm typing slowly as well so I know its not a speed issue. The keys are pressed but nothing happens. I'm surprised there isn't more talk about this. Maybe people are using the on screen keyboard so much they don't notice it.

gigatigga

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Somewhere i read that if you use the keyboard more the rubber membranes seem to break in and make this happen less. I have spent the last maybe hour or so pressing the buttons to see. Is anyone else hearing anything about this? Or should i just get this thing swapped...

gigatigga

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Seems like people are either no using their keyboard in lieu of the on creen and thu not seeing this issue. I purposfull typed at a sloer than noral rate on the physcal keyboard to demonstrate the issue I'm having. An I am making sure to ress each key once and register the click. Uncceptable imo. As you can see its not typos its smply missing keys. I don't get it. Doesn't seem to be any specific key either.

mulcher

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a domed portrait keyboard (Pre), the epic keyboard just sucks. It has a nice click feel, but it is so easy for a finger to be on a neighboring key and to also press it. Domed keyboards substantially reduce this issue. The perfect model for this is Blackberry.

I wish the epic had a portrait slider keyboard instead like the Dell Lightning style. They look ugly when open, but are much faster to whip out and use and if domed and feel right, are much faster and more accurate.

Also, why does the default keyboard turn off all autocorrect on the hardware keyboard? I shouldn't need to have to run an add-in(better keyboard) to get this feature.

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had any issues with the keyboard besides the fact that I am still in a "Pre" state of mind with my keyboard (large hands + small keyboard = adjusting) and as a result I am pressing some keys at the same time... I think I'm over-compensating for the fact that it's bigger, but that will take some time to get used to...

I haven't had any issues with keys not registering though... I hope this isn't a widespread problem!