1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Returning my Epic?

I'm strongly considering returning my Epic and going back to my EVO. The Epic is a great phone but I miss the EVO for a number of reasons. I paid full retail price for the Epic ($499 + tax) with my debit card. My question is how long will it take for Sprint to refund the money into my bank account?
    d94

Global Posts
    304 Global Posts

4-5 biz days

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Sorry to see you go but what are your reasons for returning it? If you dont mind me asking that is. The refund shouldnt take too long. I have never returned a phone but Id think it would be pretty instant.
    My mobile device timeline:
    Misc electronic organizers -> Cassiopeia -> palm pilot III -> m100 -> Palm Pilot VII and Zire 21 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> PPC6700 -> Treo 755p -> PPC6800 -> Palm Pro -> Palm Pre -> Samsung moment -> Samsung Epic 4g -> HTC EVO Shift 4g-> Galaxy Nexus-> EVO LTE
    Banned

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

Default ..Hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by aewatsonsr77 View Post
    I'm strongly considering returning my Epic and going back to my EVO. The Epic is a great phone but I miss the EVO for a number of reasons. I paid full retail price for the Epic ($499 + tax) with my debit card. My question is how long will it take for Sprint to refund the money into my bank account?

Prolly wanna call the merchant and ask them their refund policy not a website forum?

I considered returning my Epic as well because of all the issues I was going thru. I was at RadioShack getting ready to return my Epic and the sales rep brought out an EVO and that made the decision that much harder. I kind of wanted that $50 bucks back and have a phone that I knew the touch keys would work properly the first time out but then I remember the screen resolution on the Epic, the Samsung Media Hub launching soon and also the fact that practically everyone I see as of late has an EVO. Not the mention the processor on the Epic is nice as well.

I returned my Epic for a number of reasons. First of all was the fact that the phone constantly searches for wcdma which is a gsm radio. Battery use was crappy. 52% time with out signal isn't cutting it. Back to my Evo were it is only 0% with out signal,serious issue that needs to be addressed. The buttons are not responsive at all, to much wobble in the slider, battery never reaches 100% and takes forever to charge. Doesn't have 2.2, the GPS is a joke, come on this is supposed to be a high end device that takes 10 min. to find a signal and when it actually does it lags behind. I still think this phone is awesome, but I'm waiting till they do a few updates to fix there software issue. Not acceptable for a phone you have to pay top dollar for. 5 days of BS is all I could handle.

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

All those are bugs and not on every phone. My GPS works perfect, my buttons work perfect, my time without signal is always at 0% and 2.2 isnt that huge of a deal as it will be here very soon. Sounds like you got a dud which all phone models have (especially right around release). You should have replaced to see what a working epic is like. Its a shame all these people are giving up so fast at the first sign of of an issue without knowing they have a dud. Its either that or evo fanboys.
    Misc electronic organizers -> Cassiopeia -> palm pilot III -> m100 -> Palm Pilot VII and Zire 21 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> PPC6700 -> Treo 755p -> PPC6800 -> Palm Pro -> Palm Pre -> Samsung moment -> Samsung Epic 4g -> HTC EVO Shift 4g-> Galaxy Nexus-> EVO LTE

Quote Originally Posted by sphinxx View Post
    All those are bugs and not on every phone. My GPS works perfect, my buttons work perfect, my time without signal is always at 0% and 2.2 isnt that huge of a deal as it will be here very soon. Sounds like you got a dud which all phone models have (especially right around release). You should have replaced to see what a working epic is like. Its a shame all these people are giving up so fast at the first sign of of an issue without knowing they have a dud. Its either that or evo fanboys.
    Not an Evo fan boy, just sticking with what works and not staying with something that doesn't. I will be returning to the Epic as soon as they fix the issues. I don't want to go through swapping phones. Especially when I ordered thru customer service and it takes forever to get a new one.

ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.4

Forgive me but I have to chime here, I have both phones and have been running both side by side since last week. I can say I am in love with the Epic's display, is simply awsome. I can also say that the Epic is certainly a great phone but it DOES have issues (like any other phone out there).

GPS issues do exists, are they as big an issue for normal use, probably not but they are there. Accuracy is not as good as other phones and it does not seem to work as standalone GPS.

The touch buttons are certainly less sensitive on some units - if you get an Evo and try those out you will understand what I am talking about.

The Epic does not seem to have a standalone vidoe player, a significant SNAFU in my opinion considering this phone is centered around entertainment. Just get a movie going and advance to the middle or so, then go to the main screen and from there try to to get to were you were. The Evo has a separate app that you can go back to using the task manager.

Have you tried the music app with wired headsets, I have not found one that allows to skip/pause music on the Epic (even the Samsung ones do not seem to do the job here either). The phone even fails to connect to my Sony wired headset's mike when I make a call.

Battery life is certainly weak on the Epic, and dare say a lot weaker than my Evo. For starters I can confirm what the OP stated, my battery won't charge (in-phone) to over 95% no matter what I do. I have tried all the tricks that we developed for the Evo to no avail. The cause of the poor battery life remains to be defined. Don't get me wrong, I can use the Epic and get a full day's use out of the battery under my normal use load, but when compared to the Evo (notorious for poor battery life), the Epic's batery life is less ~ this may actually improve with time.

I am not going to return the Epic because I realize most of this issues are minor and likely to be fixed with firmware updates; I also know this phone will get Froyo and will make it even better. I really like this phone, in fact I also like the Evo very much so I am keeping both.

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

As with AndroidOne I too have both phones running side by side. And I would say that everything mentioned is right on. Those are the same issues that I am having and/or noticed. I'm giving it another few days, because Sprint is lowering the price of the Pre to $49.99. So I may go back. I swapped over to Android on July 4 when my Pre broke on me. I have played with the EVO since day one.

Jason
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dandan2980 View Post
    I returned my Epic for a number of reasons. First of all was the fact that the phone constantly searches for wcdma which is a gsm radio.
    I'm curious about this statement. Can you explain what you mean and what led you to believe it was doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by dandan2980 View Post
    Battery use was crappy. 52% time with out signal isn't cutting it. The buttons are not responsive at all, to much wobble in the slider, the GPS is a joke
    Yeah, I experienced the wobble issue and button issue on one of my 2 Epic's. Both had GPS issues. Battery life seemed better on the second.

All those are bugs and not on every phone. My GPS works perfect, my buttons work perfect, my time without signal is always at 0% and 2.2 isnt that huge of a deal as it will be here very soon. Sounds like you got a dud which all phone models have (especially right around release). You should have replaced to see what a working epic is like.
    I agree that some phones have issues and others don't. My first one was perfect, and my second one wasn't. The problem is, based on the feedback I'm reading, there's about a 50% chance you will be exchanging one Epic with problems for another Epic with problems, and in my experience Sprint wasn't willing to do an exchange for these issues. And I am by no means an EVO fan boy

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    I'm curious about this statement. Can you explain what you mean and what led you to believe it was doing this?

Yeah, I experienced the wobble issue and button issue on one of my 2 Epic's. Both had GPS issues. Battery life seemed better on the second.

I agree that some phones have issues and others don't. My firswt one was perfect, and my second one wasn't. The problem is, based on the feedback I'm reading, there's about a 50% chance you will be exchanging one Epic with problems for another Epic with problems, and in my experience Sprint wasn't willing to do an exchange for these issues. And I am by no means an EVO fan boy
    What leads to believe its searching for the wcdma is I downloaded the app network and everytime I reset the radio in the app it would always show as being connected to wcdma then jump to unknown. Even after setting it to cdma auto (prl) it would jump back on its own until I downloaded advanced task manager and put it on the exclude list and my tws was still in the 20% much better than the 52% I was getting. My Evo stays at 0% all the time.

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

I agree that some phones have issues and others don't. My first one was perfect, and my second one wasn't. The problem is, based on the feedback I'm reading, there's about a 50% chance you will be exchanging one Epic with problems for another Epic with problems, and in my experience Sprint wasn't willing to do an exchange for these issues. And I am by no means an EVO fan boy
    I just see so many give up so fast and Im wondering if the same would be done with an evo for some of these people. Seems like alot of people are just waiting for their epic to break so they can go back to an evo. Maybe its just the conspiracy theorist in me and why I resorted to saying "evo fanboy" (wasnt directed at any one person btw).
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

I'm hearing all these various bugs on the epic and its making feel a little better for sticking to my evo

... Although that screen, keyboard and cpu is nice haha.
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by jamesedward318 View Post
    I considered returning my Epic as well because of all the issues I was going thru. I was at RadioShack getting ready to return my Epic and the sales rep brought out an EVO and that made the decision that much harder. I kind of wanted that $50 bucks back and have a phone that I knew the touch keys would work properly the first time out but then I remember the screen resolution on the Epic, the Samsung Media Hub launching soon and also the fact that practically everyone I see as of late has an EVO. Not the mention the processor on the Epic is nice as well.
    You obviously don't have the "magic batch" Epics. The buttons are the same responsiveness as the EVO.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

I just see so many give up so fast and Im wondering if the same would be done with an evo for some of these people. Seems like alot of people are just waiting for their epic to break so they can go back to an evo. Maybe its just the conspiracy theorist in me and why I resorted to saying "evo fanboy" (wasnt directed at any one person btw).
    I did the exact opposite. Although I was having problems in reality, I still tried to find a way to go Epic after I learned about the "Samsung Galaxy S Pro" that was headed for Sprint. Now that there's no going back, I'm going to make the Epic the best phone that I've owned.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by igotsanevo4g View Post
    I'm hearing all these various bugs on the epic and its making feel a little better for sticking to my evo .
    Trust me, the EVO had its fair share of issues threads when it launched. Complaints of battery life, light leakage, screen separation, video FPS, dust, and overheating to name a few. I remember because I had the pleasure of moderating all of the threads. There was absolutely no difference between that phone and this one, or the Incredible, or the X, or the -- well you get the point haha

All that said, I loved the D1, Incredible, EVO, X, Epic and hopefully - if I can get past Bing - the Fascinate.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

Trust me, the EVO had its fair share of issues threads when it launched. Complaints of battery life, light leakage, screen separation, video FPS, dust, and overheating to name a few. I remember because I had the pleasure of moderating all of the threads. There was absolutely no difference between that phone and this one, or the Incredible, or the X, or the -- well you get the point haha

All that said, I loved the D1, Incredible, EVO, X, Epic and hopefully - if I can get past Bing - the Fascinate.
    Well this will be a relief for the neutrals. I had the FPS problem and apps crashing, but I was lucky compared to some of the other people I heard complaining about the EVO at launch. Let's all wait 2 months and see how it goes then!

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Default Re: Returning my Epic?

I LOVE my moms droid 1 between that and my wifes moment its what really got me interested in the android os. My brother and mom also had evos (yes my mom has 2 droids) and they were the icing on the cake when then I saw the epic leaks and my palm days were numbered. I just want people to love the platform and not a specific phone. I don't think I have picked up a droid I ddnt like just as I have never driven a jeep I didn't love. ;-)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

I just want people to love the platform and not a specific phone.
    Me too!
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

Me too!
    Sooo, Apple style? You get one choice so love it? I think picking phones is one of the best parts. I love Android OS and would never criticize another for getting a different Android phone, but I still prefer to have two parts to like.

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Default Re: Returning my Epic?

Quote Originally Posted by caliskimmer View Post
    Sooo, Apple style? You get one choice so love it? I think picking phones is one of the best parts. I love Android OS and would never criticize another for getting a different Android phone, but I still prefer to have two parts to like.
    Lol heck no!:-P I like all the droids I have used or played with. Just like jeeps I have a similar passion for a wrangler as I do a liberty. The same goes for androids (athough I prefer sliders to slabs). Variety is the spice of life and the variety of android phones is great! I love the idea that there are so many devices that its almost garaunteed that one will fit my needs.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.4

This is very true for the Evo... took some timely software updates and keen detective work from all in the community to get the Evo working right. Now the Evo is a very nice example of a high-end Android phone ~ in my opinion.

We are only a week into the Epic and as with all new smartphone, a multitude of issues are bound to be uncovered, debated to death, cause exudus of some early adopters but eventually most of those are going to be worked out.

I have learned over years of smartphone ownership and hacking that we early adopters are willing (and paying) beta testers for the companies that put out these devices. The deficiencies that we uncover and document are taken into account by many of these companies when they prepare firmware fixes... so is important to keep testing, debating and investigating these issues, but without any personal anymosity or attacks.

Just my 2 cents on this.

P.S. For the record, yes I am an Evo fanboy, am also an Epic fanboy... but above all, I am an Android convert and an even bigger Android fanboy.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Well said

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Seriously, I have a SUPER Dud and i'm getting my new Epic TODAY. If it works only 50% better than the one I currently have I will be a happy camper (I'm at 91% without signal - and probably related, battery dies within 5 hours - clearly something wrong). The rest of the device is great though and I'd rather go through the hassle of a return and get a new one than leave it altogether!!!