Defective Epic Capcitive Buttons

cody251

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Wifes new Epic, no screen protector. NOT working well, we've both tried everything with no luck. Multiple taps sometimes as many as 10 to get it to respond. The other buttons are fine. Back to the store tomorrow, it seems to have gotten worse over the day.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
What just happened to the capacitive buttons?

So I got a new Epic yesterday (and getting one tomorrow) as I have had some screen separation issues. So I go through the usual process, but something feels different. So I touch the buttons one more time and guess what happens? They respond to taps! I tested over and over again and guess what? They responded to some of the lightest taps. Not ONCE did I have to tap again. Heck, I'll go as far as saying the responsiveness was on par with my former EVO. So, was the problem fixed or did we just have a MASSIVE amount of lousy units out there? I have no idea, but I'm hoping my third Epic will be as responsive as the one I currently have. One more thing, my mom also picked up an Epic yesterday and the buttons, sure enough, were just as responsive as mine.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
The buttons on my epic work just as well as my former evo too. Maybe it was just a batch of epics with bad capacitve buttons

It really must be. Honestly, I tried pressing them randomly as fast as possible and it got every click except for the one time I hit the Samsung logo by accident lol!:D

rldev

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
That is good to hear. My Sprint store won't replace it. I don't feel like dealing with or maybe I will try another. I ordered one from Amazon which wont be here for a while.

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
my problem is over sentivitiy.. when holding the phone in landscape watching a video, I have often activated the search button...

grant3d

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Ok that settles it, I am going to try for a replacement this weekend. My back and menu buttons are really starting to bug me. Even the power button on mine gives me problems, requiring way too much effort to activate.

That is good to hear. My Sprint store won't replace it. I don't feel like dealing with or maybe I will try another. I ordered one from Amazon which wont be here for a while.

They wouldnt replace it? So you ended up just returning it and buying on Amazon?

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Mine has always responded to taps or gentle pressure touches.

OOC...what were the 'screen separation" issues?

My screen was separated from the phone on the left side when holding in front of you. It was as if the screen was raised. It's happened twice now. Obviously a non-issue, but the Sprint manager at my store insisted that he should swap out the phones anyways. Tomorrow, I hope to get the final Epic that I'll ever need to get. Strangely enough, my mom got a perfect Epic: everything works flawlessly, the keyboard is really sturdy, and the screen is secure on all sides with no signs of separation.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
My wife's has a very solid slider- mine not so much. But my capacitives are great- her back and home buttons are slow to respond...thinking of returning it.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
My wife's has a very solid slider- mine not so much. But my capacitives are great- her back and home buttons are slow to respond...thinking of returning it.

Well, I'm hoping that I get a really good one tomorrow. It helps that I can use the phone before it gets activated at my Sprint store, so I can see if everything's working.

rldev

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Ok that settles it, I am going to try for a replacement this weekend. My back and menu buttons are really starting to bug me. Even the power button on mine gives me problems, requiring way too much effort to activate.

They wouldnt replace it? So you ended up just returning it and buying on Amazon?

No, I bought one from Amazon and will see if it is better. I have returned a handful of android phones to Sprint in the last year due to hardware issues. Once they pull up my file, some managers give me sh&*8t about it. I'm tired of the hassle.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
No, I bought one from Amazon and will see if it is better. I have returned a handful of android phones to Sprint in the last year due to hardware issues. Once they pull up my file, some managers give me sh&*8t about it. I'm tired of the hassle.

I understand that. I always return the device if it isn't working properly. I have done manny in the last year.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site

Not my Sprint store managers. Always happy to help and the customer is always right!

hittman4life

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I am so glad you posted this thread. I had almost decided just to deal with it but after reading your post I decided to swing by my Sprint store yesterday. I played with the demo phones and quickly realized that my back button was definitely defective. Within 20 minutes I had a new Epic that works 100%.

I just hate that so many phones made it into the retail channel (and the hands of reviewers) with this defect. It gives an otherwise fantastic phone a bit of a bumpy start.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Not my Sprint store managers. Always happy to help and the customer is always right!

You clearly don't live in the Tri State area.:)

Or Hampton Roads Virginia.
The goofs in Sprints Virginia Beach service center store will take your device apart try to fix even if your within 30 days of purchase so they wont have to swap out for new device.
If they cant fix they play it down as nothings wrong with it send you on your way...well until you're past 30 days then they order you referb

Last edited: