Do you think the samsung epic will get gingerbead(3.0)

Mike20PR

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Wait... didn't Engadget recently say that Gingerbread would most likely be a 2.x release instead of 3.0?

If it comes out Q4... yes. Since the epic was just released. And also its Samsung's flagship line so it should be properly supported

Ok... forget Gingerbread, will it get Honeycomb...?

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I hope this phone will actually get supported for a while. I was pretty upset at how they treated the moment, which is a great phone, and hope they dont do that to the epic.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Poll this, please! Yes, I do think so. The hardware should be more than capable, but I don't think it'll go beyond Gingerbread since that'll be so far in the future.

Dallin Hampton

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Wait... didn't Engadget recently say that Gingerbread would most likely be a 2.x release instead of 3.0?

If it comes out Q4... yes. Since the epic was just released. And also its Samsung's flagship line so it should be properly supported

Ok... forget Gingerbread, will it get Honeycomb...?
Yes, Gingerbread will be another 2.x update with its primary focus being improving the (G)UI and further stripping of the OS and more efficient coding to make it as lightweight and powerful as possible, leaving the task of defining what the phone is capable of to the user-end.

Dallin Hampton

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Poll this, please! Yes, I do think so. The hardware should be more than capable, but I don't think it'll go beyond Gingerbread since that'll be so far in the future.
Froyo and Gingerbread are supposedly the end of Android's OS fragmentation so I'm of the opinion that Honeycomb will carry on to any device capable of running Froyo or Gingerbread.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Froyo and Gingerbread are supposedly the end of Android's OS fragmentation so I'm of the opinion that Honeycomb will carry on to any device capable of running Froyo or Gingerbread.

I do hope you're right. This will mean Epic win (pun obviously intended) until my pocket's ready for another phone.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I am certainly hopeful for Gingerbread, beyond that I'm doubtful, by then Samsung will be working on the next big hardware release and updating the Galaxy line won't be a priority.

However I'm looking forward to Froyo soon.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I am not even worried about anything beyond froyo at the moment..

I am curious to see how many of my installed aps function normally after the (hopefully soon to come..) froyo update..

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I am certainly hopeful for Gingerbread, beyond that I'm doubtful, by then Samsung will be working on the next big hardware release and updating the Galaxy line won't be a priority.

However I'm looking forward to Froyo soon.

I really hope they dont treat the galaxy s series like they did the moment. I was really upset when I found out that eclair was the final release for the moment. It is sad to see good phones go by the wayside while so many much older phones still get updates.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I think with the awsome hardware of the Epic, a custom ROM (perhaps Gingerbread) will be the best way to realize the full potential of this beast.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Heck froyo alone will unleash the hardware. I think my phone is so fast I want to underclock it to 800MHz to get better battery life. Even my brother and mother said the same thing when they had their evos. These 1GHz CPU phones are blazing fast and should be supported for quite some time.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I can tell you that the Epic on 2.1 is faster and more responsive than my Evo before Froyo. Heck is almost as fast and responsive now (except for browsing) as my Evo on Froyo!

With Froyo, the Epic is literaly going to fly...

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
See I noticed no real difference in real world tasks from the evo to the epic. Both seem to fly through whatever you throw at them and do it with great aplomb. I cant wait for froyo and see what it does for my phone (CMON video out!). The only thing that shows a difference is certain games and benchmarks. Honestly I rarely game on my phone so it really didnt matter to me. Heck had the evo come out with a slider phone I would be using that if it came out before the epic.

H_D

Mar 2, 2009
Visit site
Spec-wise, the Epic meets the minimum requirements to run Gingerbread so I'd see no reason why we wouldn't get the update.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
See I noticed no real difference in real world tasks from the evo to the epic. Both seem to fly through whatever you throw at them and do it with great aplomb. I cant wait for froyo and see what it does for my phone (CMON video out!). The only thing that shows a difference is certain games and benchmarks. Honestly I rarely game on my phone so it really didnt matter to me. Heck had the evo come out with a slider phone I would be using that if it came out before the epic.

My point is that the Evo got a noticiable gain in speed with Froyo - not only in browsing but in opening/running apps, flipping through the screens, scrolling and even rebooting became faster. As it stands now, I am comparing my Epic on 2.1 to my Evo on 2.2 and I find the Epic to be almost as fast as the Evo on all those tasks except browsing. So my expectation is that with Froyo, the Epic is likely to get faster than than the Evo.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20