1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Default Do you think the samsung epic will get gingerbead(3.0)

I was jus wonderin because I saw a bgr report and some said they thought it would get android 3.0

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Yes.
    My mobile device timeline:
    Misc electronic organizers -> Cassiopeia -> palm pilot III -> m100 -> Palm Pilot VII and Zire 21 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> PPC6700 -> Treo 755p -> PPC6800 -> Palm Pro -> Palm Pre -> Samsung moment -> Samsung Epic 4g -> HTC EVO Shift 4g-> Galaxy Nexus-> EVO LTE
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

When does that come out? lol

Wait... didn't Engadget recently say that Gingerbread would most likely be a 2.x release instead of 3.0?

If it comes out Q4... yes. Since the epic was just released. And also its Samsung's flagship line so it should be properly supported

Ok... forget Gingerbread, will it get Honeycomb...?

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

I hope this phone will actually get supported for a while. I was pretty upset at how they treated the moment, which is a great phone, and hope they dont do that to the epic.
    Misc electronic organizers -> Cassiopeia -> palm pilot III -> m100 -> Palm Pilot VII and Zire 21 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> PPC6700 -> Treo 755p -> PPC6800 -> Palm Pro -> Palm Pre -> Samsung moment -> Samsung Epic 4g -> HTC EVO Shift 4g-> Galaxy Nexus-> EVO LTE
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

Poll this, please! Yes, I do think so. The hardware should be more than capable, but I don't think it'll go beyond Gingerbread since that'll be so far in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike20PR View Post
    Wait... didn't Engadget recently say that Gingerbread would most likely be a 2.x release instead of 3.0?

If it comes out Q4... yes. Since the epic was just released. And also its Samsung's flagship line so it should be properly supported

Ok... forget Gingerbread, will it get Honeycomb...?
    Yes, Gingerbread will be another 2.x update with its primary focus being improving the (G)UI and further stripping of the OS and more efficient coding to make it as lightweight and powerful as possible, leaving the task of defining what the phone is capable of to the user-end.

Quote Originally Posted by caliskimmer View Post
    Poll this, please! Yes, I do think so. The hardware should be more than capable, but I don't think it'll go beyond Gingerbread since that'll be so far in the future.
    Froyo and Gingerbread are supposedly the end of Android's OS fragmentation so I'm of the opinion that Honeycomb will carry on to any device capable of running Froyo or Gingerbread.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Dallin Hampton View Post
    Froyo and Gingerbread are supposedly the end of Android's OS fragmentation so I'm of the opinion that Honeycomb will carry on to any device capable of running Froyo or Gingerbread.
    I do hope you're right. This will mean Epic win (pun obviously intended) until my pocket's ready for another phone.

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Default Re: Do you think the samsung epic will get gingerbead(3.0)

I am hoping to actually keep a phone longer then a year this time around.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.4

I am certainly hopeful for Gingerbread, beyond that I'm doubtful, by then Samsung will be working on the next big hardware release and updating the Galaxy line won't be a priority.

However I'm looking forward to Froyo soon.

Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Froyo DK28

I am not even worried about anything beyond froyo at the moment..

I am curious to see how many of my installed aps function normally after the (hopefully soon to come..) froyo update..
    Please add thanks if I have helped you in anyway. I will always spread the Aloha and reciprocate.
    Samsung Epic; Froyo DK28
    Carrier Sprint since 1998
    Palm Pilot 1997 + Nokia 7650,8200, Palm Treo 700p 2005, Palm Pre June 2009, Sayonara Palm. Android Sept. 2010

Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 alpha 1

I would be happy to get 2.2 and improve battery life and GPS - among other things...
    Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean people aren't after you.

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidOne View Post
    I am certainly hopeful for Gingerbread, beyond that I'm doubtful, by then Samsung will be working on the next big hardware release and updating the Galaxy line won't be a priority.

However I'm looking forward to Froyo soon.
    I really hope they dont treat the galaxy s series like they did the moment. I was really upset when I found out that eclair was the final release for the moment. It is sad to see good phones go by the wayside while so many much older phones still get updates.

ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.4

I think with the awsome hardware of the Epic, a custom ROM (perhaps Gingerbread) will be the best way to realize the full potential of this beast.

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Heck froyo alone will unleash the hardware. I think my phone is so fast I want to underclock it to 800MHz to get better battery life. Even my brother and mother said the same thing when they had their evos. These 1GHz CPU phones are blazing fast and should be supported for quite some time.

ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.4

I can tell you that the Epic on 2.1 is faster and more responsive than my Evo before Froyo. Heck is almost as fast and responsive now (except for browsing) as my Evo on Froyo!

With Froyo, the Epic is literaly going to fly...

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

See I noticed no real difference in real world tasks from the evo to the epic. Both seem to fly through whatever you throw at them and do it with great aplomb. I cant wait for froyo and see what it does for my phone (CMON video out!). The only thing that shows a difference is certain games and benchmarks. Honestly I rarely game on my phone so it really didnt matter to me. Heck had the evo come out with a slider phone I would be using that if it came out before the epic.

Spec-wise, the Epic meets the minimum requirements to run Gingerbread so I'd see no reason why we wouldn't get the update.

ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by sphinxx View Post
    See I noticed no real difference in real world tasks from the evo to the epic. Both seem to fly through whatever you throw at them and do it with great aplomb. I cant wait for froyo and see what it does for my phone (CMON video out!). The only thing that shows a difference is certain games and benchmarks. Honestly I rarely game on my phone so it really didnt matter to me. Heck had the evo come out with a slider phone I would be using that if it came out before the epic.

My point is that the Evo got a noticiable gain in speed with Froyo - not only in browsing but in opening/running apps, flipping through the screens, scrolling and even rebooting became faster. As it stands now, I am comparing my Epic on 2.1 to my Evo on 2.2 and I find the Epic to be almost as fast as the Evo on all those tasks except browsing. So my expectation is that with Froyo, the Epic is likely to get faster than than the Evo.

Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    ROM
    StarBurst ROM-LoStKernel

I know it's good to look down the line but my hopes are for an upcoming FROYO release in the near future first! One thing at a time!

I have both. ( just got the Evo yesterday) so far the Evo has the nod. Keeping both and will reactivate once the Epic gets froyo and tw 3.0 ( heck I like the change fonts feature lol)

Quote Originally Posted by YaBoiD View Post
    Spec-wise, the Epic meets the minimum requirements to run Gingerbread so I'd see no reason why we wouldn't get the update.
    Those rumors about purported Gingerbread "minimum" specs have been proven false by Google.

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Quote Originally Posted by bjb.butler View Post
    Those rumors about purported Gingerbread "minimum" specs have been proven false by Google.
    Plus if they were true I wouldnt touch gingerbread. If my specs just barley pass the minimum requirement that means Im in for lag and performance issues. With those requirements I would stick with froyo for sure.