Looking for an EPIC loophole

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

Just wondering if any one had any ideas on how i can get an epic for cheaper.

I still have and love my Evo, and by no means ditching it, but seeing as no one has really pounced on the custom roms ship for the EPIC, I was hoping to get a leg up.

So this is what i have to work with. I have a personal plan, with 3 phones up for contract renewals. Should be $150 per line. Any one think i could swing like 2 of those upgrades for an EPIC? Where i agree to renew contract with 2 lines, and they give me the epic for free?

~Or do you think in the least i could swing $499 for the phone cost w/o contract, then $300 for (2x $150 credit) for renewing, and 100 for the rebate? bringing the cost down to $99.00? which is much more manageable.

I also have some wiggle room since sprint has messed up the billing on my personal plan 3 months in a row (though they have been crediting me back more than the errors total ). I can always wine but rather not.

I could also mention that i need this phone for development purposes, and verizon is offering 2 facinate's for the same price as one EPIC, and i would be signing 2 new contracts either way.

My EVO is on my company line, and since I just upgraded in may, there is no dice on that route.

Let me know what you guys think, or if you know of another way to go?

Last edited:

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
You will have to pay just like everyone else.

I appreciate your forwardness, but if you don't have insight into what i'm asking, then don't respond.

I am completely aware that i can in fact pay 499 for a contract free phone, what i'm trying to figure out if there is another way i can do this since i do have 3 other lines available for upgrades, that don't need new devices.

epbb

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Maybe adding a new line for $250 at Radio Shack and paying the cancelation fee? Never tried it, just an idea. I always call telesales to order. They always offer me bill credits when I order. I've gotten over $200 in bill credits before (4 lines) just for renewing my contracts, which didn't effect my upgrade credits.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Maybe adding a new line for $250 at Radio Shack and paying the cancelation fee? Never tried it, just an idea. I always call telesales to order. They always offer me bill credits when I order. I've gotten over $200 in bill credits before (4 lines) just for renewing my contracts, which didn't effect my upgrade credits.

Interesting, thanks for the tip. I'll try it out.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

Just wondering if any one had any ideas on how i can get an epic for cheaper.

I still have and love my Evo, and by no means ditching it, but seeing as no one has really pounced on the custom roms ship for the EPIC, I was hoping to get a leg up.

So this is what i have to work with. I have a personal plan, with 3 phones up for contract renewals. Should be $150 per line. Any one think i could swing like 2 of those upgrades for an EPIC? Where i agree to renew contract with 2 lines, and they give me the epic for free?

~Or do you think in the least i could swing $499 for the phone cost w/o contract, then $300 for (2x $150 credit) for renewing, and 100 for the rebate? bringing the cost down to $99.00? which is much more manageable.

I also have some wiggle room since sprint has messed up the billing on my personal plan 3 months in a row (though they have been crediting me back more than the errors total ). I can always wine but rather not.

I could also mention that i need this phone for development purposes, and verizon is offering 2 facinate's for the same price as one EPIC, and i would be signing 2 new contracts either way.

My EVO is on my company line, and since I just upgraded in may, there is no dice on that route.

Let me know what you guys think, or if you know of another way to go?

I hope you are virtuous, cause the only way to get the Epic cheap is to wait until they drop the price. Good luck with your other plans though - be sure to post if any of them work.

IIJBII

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
No disrespect here but you are trying to beat the system. Sorry, but if you feel you "have" to have the Epic you should pay for it. I had to and I'm sure many others did. The truth is you (as I) want the epic which comes with a price.

I know if I don't have anything to add don't reply...

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Isn't the point to battle system? I exchange for an awesome phone, I'm resigning 3- 2 year agreements, in the long run probably hurting myself.

Don't worry, its In the bag now.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

tammiS

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
i dont see anything wrong with the OP's question. He's not trying to break the law or be shady, just trying to make a deal. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

You should try calling CS. I also have gotten credits for extending contracts on my phones, maybe with that and the upgrade discount you'll break pretty close to even.

Also, I have always been able to bill my new purchases to my account so that defers the expense for up to 45 days if you do it right after your bill cuts.

Good luck. I moved to the Epic from the Pre. Wasn't sure I was going to stick with it due to the cose of the Epic, but I just sold my Pre so now no guilt and I have this freakin' awesome phone!

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
No worries, I guess I won't be seeing every one who is calling me shadey and unethical in the dima and hacks section.

I feel your pain, I dumped the pre for the hero. Hooked on Android since.

Touchwiz is amazing BTW. Can't wait till 2.2 come out for this puppy. Might be converting, all of my evo mates will probably hate me.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate your forwardness, but if you don't have insight into what i'm asking, then don't respond.

I am completely aware that i can in fact pay 499 for a contract free phone, what i'm trying to figure out if there is another way i can do this since i do have 3 other lines available for upgrades, that don't need new devices.

Sorry if the thought of you actually paying for the phone isn't enough insite for you.

heavy1metal

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
its no big deal, you don't have to apologize for anything. Keep in mind i wasn't trying to be rude in my response.

Not sure if I might've missed you not wanting to do this but Radioshack will buy your old equipment and give you a giftcard instantly. Granted this isn't returning as much money as privately selling your phones would, but at least you have no downtime without a phone. They gave me $110 for my iphone 3g, ebay I saw them selling from $150-$200, so I don't think I lost all too bad for being eager to get rid of it and getting this badarse puppy. In the end I got my epic 4g with trade in + 140, I was very happy.

Regarding the wheeling and dealing, I would find the regional business manager for sprint in your area, and speak with them. No use talking to somebody over the phone who has to follow a script or be fired/punished. Because you have that many lines, they will usually work with you. I pull this crap all the time with T-Mobile for my company. We also have a $5,000-$6,000 bill. During the sign up, we got them to install 4 in building repeaters for free, and give us curves for free, at the time the curves were ~$100 each.

Last edited:

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Sprint combines rebates on multiple lines. But I could be wrong (I have never tried this). You can add another line & pay the $350 to see if you like it. If you like the phone, since you are due for an upgrade, cancel one of the other lines so you are not spending unnecessarily out of pocket for extra lines.

I went to Best Buy and saw that the phone was $230 to add a line of service & $250 to upgrade - no rebates.

epbb

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
People posting stuff about being "shady" need to STFU. Better to be "shady" than be stupid and pay full retail. Glad you're getting your phone Liquid.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
People posting stuff about being "shady" need to STFU. Better to be "shady" than be stupid and pay full retail. Glad you're getting your phone Liquid.

If you get the phone, then the person wasn't shady.

Sent from my awesome Samsung Epic 4g

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1